Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't ping a GPRS-enabled laptop...

• 18-10-2004 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I'm using a laptop with a Nokia D211 GPRS card. I'm able to connect to the net and ping other machines and I'm able to get the dynamically-assigned IP address that's given to me using ipconfig. When I ping this IP address from another machine I don't get any replies though!
    Any ideas? I'm using an O2 pay-as-you-go SIM card, if that makes any difference. I have tried it with a pay-monthly SIM too but get the same problem.
    Any help appreciated...
    Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

What do you get if you go to somewhere like

www.whatismyip.com

Does this match the ipconfig output ?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭byrne_baby_byrn

Thanks for the reply - looks like a handy site to know.
    It returns the same IP address as ipconfig though...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

When you connect using GPRS aren't you in a VPN tunnel to your ISP and maybe this is why you can't be pinged ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Why do you need to ping the laptop? Are you running services on it that need to be accessed over the net?

Do you have a firewall on the laptop that could be blocking incoming ping requests?

Hi tomk
    Yeah, I'm doing some vehicle logistic research so basically I need to have an in-vehicle laptop that is network enabled. We use vehicle tracking boxes that log GPS positions to a fixed server, but for testing puposes I want the laptop to be the server... that's why I need to be able to receive incoming data!
    Feel free to bounce around any ideas. I can get a work around but it would only complicate things to be honest - the less complexity, the less mistakes...
    Cheers mate

• Advertisement

Hi parsi
    I'd imagine that there is a VPN between the laptop and the ISP but the IPS doesn't seem to act as a proxy (whatismyip.com sees the laptops dynamically-assigned IP address and not a different proxy one). It could be that incoming ports are blocked, it could be that I need to somehow specify an O2 DNS or something like that, either way incoming connections seem to be getting lost or are being blocked.
    If the VPN would make a difference can you let me know how?
    Thanks for the post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

that's why I need to be able to receive incoming data!

Do you particularly need to be able to ping? It could be that pings are blocked on the GPRS network, but that other traffic is OK - I've heard that this is the case with some ISPs.

Try some other type of connection - telnet, ftp, ssh, etc. Or try your actual application (sounds interesting, by the way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

You could try to run nmap on the ip address.

You can configure it quite nicely to try all sorts
    of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dublincastro

You might want to try a post paid (contract) sim and use the 'open.internet' APN as this allows unrestricted access unlike the 'internet' APN on contract and the 'pp.internet' APN that you are using on prepaid. This information only applies to the O2 network.

Advertisement