Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It starts earlier every year

Options
  • 19-10-2004 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭

Voting in Florida started yesterday, and the dirty tricks are already starting;
    Gordon Sasser first got the feeling that something strange was going on when the telephone pierced the silence of a weekday afternoon at his house on the swampy fringes of Tallahassee, northern Florida.

An automated voice had some surprising news: did he know that he could now cast his presidential vote by phone, and could do so right now, using the keypad? Mr Sasser's suspicion that somebody was trying to trick him into thinking he was casting a vote - presumably so that he wouldn't cast a real one - was far from unique

also
    She (Hood Katherine Harris Mark II) is also fighting a courtroom battle over Florida's new system of "provision ballots", introduced after the 2000 fiasco so that people who arrived at the polls to discover they were not on the register could vote anyway, then have their case considered by officials. Ms Hood has decreed that the facility will not be available to anybody who turns up at the wrong precinct within their county.

both quotes from here

combine that with early reports of faulty electronic voting machines, we have the potential for serious deja vu.

Oh btw while routing around for the story I came across this
    http://www.verifiedvoting.org/techwatch/

Somehow doubt Michal Martin would have gone for it though :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Yeah, AP were also reporting the fifrst cases of problems with the no-VVAT computer systems they've implemented there to, errr, sort things out.

I think the figures they listed were that of the 14 sites that opened voting with them today, 9 had already reported problems of varying natures.

Sheesh.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Yea until 2000 you would think someone was discussing an election in Nigeria or Zimbabwe, should you over hear, not America.
    Just cast my absentee ballot at the US Consulate in Cape Town. Hopefully the UPS plane doesn't crash.
    The SA press were all over the place.
    I'm still trying to find out if there is anyway to verify that your vote was counted.
    I don't expect a fiasco like 2000 this time around for no other reason than I don't think it will be a close election. There is more than likely going to be talk of "ïrregularities" though. I would just LMAO if the observers didn't confirm it this time and the UN refuse to recognize the US government. Of course that's just a fantasy....but a guy can dream.

Advertisement