Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 316 (E30) Touring problem

Options
  • 19-10-2004 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I've just been told by several mechanics that one of the head gaskets are gone on my 91' 316 Touring.
    We were given price ranges of between €700 - €800 to fix it.

It's been myself and the girlfreinds primary transport for the past year and both of us are lost without it.

Does anyone know anything about these engines and might be able to fix it for a more reasonable price ??. I know a fair bit about car and bike engines but I wouldn't have the confidence to start a project like this.

Thanks
    Prozium

btw, I'm in the walkinstown area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Head gaskets are always a 'suck-it-and-see' failure on cars. Generally, but not always it will require the head is taken to an engineering shop and skimmed and it is the stripping, skimming and rebuilding that adds the bulk of the cost. The actual replacement is a full days work and you would need a good workshop, tools and all the other bits necessary lined up - gasket sealant, gasket set (manifold gaskets, head, rocker etc), shellac, coolant, etc. It is however difficult to detect warpage at home. There is lots of space to work in the 316 engine bay which is handy, but depending on the condition of the car and its mileage, you might prefer to fit a replacement engine if you suspect major overheating which would lead to warpage.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

Head gaskets are always a 'suck-it-and-see' failure on cars. Generally, but not always it will require the head is taken to an engineering shop and skimmed and it is the stripping, skimming and rebuilding that adds the bulk of the cost. The actual replacement is a full days work and you would need a good workshop, tools and all the other bits necessary lined up - gasket sealant, gasket set (manifold gaskets, head, rocker etc), shellac, coolant, etc. It is however difficult to detect warpage at home. There is lots of space to work in the 316 engine bay which is handy, but depending on the condition of the car and its mileage, you might prefer to fit a replacement engine if you suspect major overheating which would lead to warpage.

'c

Yep it is majorly overheating. I sort of know what's involved in fixing it.

Don't know if it's worth putting another engine in. The cost of that and fitting could easily mount up to a days work aswell.

Any idea where I'd get a decent BMW engine from ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only get the head remachined if you KNOW the guy doing it is an expert. Otherwise I'd certainly look for a breakers yard engine, of course a certain ammount of luck is involved but you can stack the odds in your favour by checking http://www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/regions/irlnd/contacts.asp

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm not out to hurt anyones feelings but you should be able to replace that car with its equivalent for about €1200. I was offered a '90 about four months ago with a knackered gearbox for €550 so I'd do a bit of trawling and see what shows up. The question you always have to ask is 'Why did the gasket go in the first place?' - did the thermostat jam closed, is the radiator shot, did the fluid just run low and if you don't know the answer, there is every possibility that the gasket will go again unless the root cause is sorted too.

I have heard of several of these popping head gaskets and needing lots spent. The last head I had machined after a burst head gasket cost €450 (and I had stripped and rebuilt the valves and cams saving €250) - the gasket set cost me €120 so let your wallet decide and don't get emotional about it - its only a car....

Ring Traynors in the North - they deliver to Dublin and give a months warranty on second hand engines (04838891242)

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

520 yoyo's for skimmed head/ new headgasket/manifold gasket/rocket cover gasket/ new thermostat and coolant change

any other repairs if needed like :radiator waterpump will be charged extra

Garage location dublin 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Verdammt ,

I sent message to you hotmail account

Advertisement