Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher Corner

Options
  • 19-10-2004 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

A number of interested parties, including MusicMaker, have proposed erecting a tribute to Rory Gallagher in Temple Bar. A bronze Fender Strat would be mounted beneath an existing sign. Apparently the proposal has been approved by all relevant parties with the exception of the National Photographic Archive who state that they "... are totally opposed to the idea as they feel it would adversely impact on the identity of the Archive”.

There is now a petition online to try and effect a change of mind. The link is below.

This is the proposal:

"Proposal to National Photographic Library, Temple Bar for the erection of small but appropriate tribute to Rory Gallagher. Submitted 23rd July 2004

Proposed site: In and around the “Rory Gallagher Corner” sign located in Temple Bar on the National Photographic Library building.

Why: The Fender Stratocaster guitar celebrates it’s 50th birthday this yea r and Rory is one of the greatest musicians to use the Strat which he adapted and made his own, so much so they’ve produced a signature tribute model which is an exact replica of his. Other legendary names associated with the Strat are Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck & Richie Blackmore, so they’re in great company!

Rory is an Irish cultural icon who had and has a huge fan base in Europe and throughout the world. I have no doubt that this piece will be a tourist attraction and a great cultural addition to the area.

Proposed piece: Rory’s Fender Strat in bronze. We feel a guitar on it’s own is a more powerful symbol of the spirit of Rory than a statue etc of him. There will be no mention of retailers etc.

Cost: The cost of the production & erection of the proposed piece will be paid for by Musical Instrument Merchants of Dublin and by Fender Musical Instrument Corporation.

Security: Jim Flavin of Bronze Art Ltd who has erected many pieces around Dublin assures me that security is not an issue. The piece would be securely mounted at least 15 feet above street level

Measurements and other specifications: Overall length : 99cm Overall width : 32cm (at it’s widest point) Overall Depth : 5cm"

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/kram8681/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Excellent idea.
    Signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Maybe something like this might be more appropriate :rolleyes: http://www.t001.freeserve.co.uk/guitar/jimi/grave-anger.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Bloody hell! Maybe we can stick the equivalent in the middle of O'connell St.!

So who has been to the grave of a dead rock star?

Not I. But if they were as spectacularly tasteless as this proposed Hendrix one I think I'd make the effort to check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭geekstinkbreath

Heard them talking about the new art on dave fannings Show yesterday. Sounds like a great idea, and would definitly add something positive to the main square.

The photografic archive seem to be saying that, they would be bothered by people coming in asking about it. If anything i would of thought more people coming in,for whatever reason would be a good thing?!

• Advertisement

The people who run the photographic archive are a gang of cnuts. Ask anyone who's ever worked there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

What a legendary guitist I one saw a poll of the top 100 guitarists of all time he wasnt in it which proved how pointless most polls are

Advertisement