Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock investments for the beginner

Options
  • 19-10-2004 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Could someone please point me at an online introduction to stock investing for the absolute beginner?

Also, reading through past posts, it would seem Internaxx are the best broker... is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Hi, u could check out cnn.com then hit buisness on the left bar. Has step by step lessons on stocks. Internaxx, im with them 2 months seem fine, but i have never tried any others. Would say that the stock pickers corner on the internaxx site hasnt been producing winners latley. Best advice i can give u is, read read and read some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

its not cheap to invest in the stock market, high charges,
    in and out + dues

i invest in shares for the long term, i simply buy and forget,
    i only invest in english/irish shares because i want a share cert

i use campell o connor stock brokers to execute my deals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Fexco fees can be read here........

http://www.fexcostockbroking.com/costs.php

Along with everyone else in the business in Ireland, Fexco are screwing their customers royally. The only difference is that they are a bit cheaper. But, compared with the competition in the UK, 1.25% for a trade is obscene in a market where fix priced trades are the norm.

The UK's failure to join the Euro was the worst thing that ever happened to the retail punter in this country.

If you are willing to take the risk on the currency moves, the best way to trade is to lodge money with a UK broker and hope that your currency exchange costs don't eat into your losses/gains. If you take this route, consider trading Contracts For Difference.

An excellent resource for stock market info is http://www.advfn.com/

Their lively Free Bulletin Board is worth signing up to.

Their subscription bulletin board is even better.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Hi again,

Just in relation to internaxx, be wary of their stock pickers corner (you will know what im talking about if u sign up). I have been watching them for the last few months and they arent something i would recomend u follow. Spend the time and read up on companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I might be missing something but why would anyone use Fexco for online trading, when they're charging 1.25% commision?

Sharewatch are only charging 0.3% (www.sharewatch.ie) and even Davy come in at 0.75% plus the usual annual charges !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Reyman,

Thanks for the tip.

I'll be honest. I'd never heard of Sharewatch.

Have they been around long?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Can't say how long Sharewatch are around. They're the Ryanair of the stockbroking business so I presume their service mightn't be quite so good as the others.

Advertisement