Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with 2 TKD clubs

• 19-10-2004 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the rules and regulations are about training in TKD with 2 clubs?

I am currently training in TKD in my home town but I just got an email from our college clubs and socs officer about training starting in my colleges town.

Is there anything in the rules to stop me from training with this group? Its not actually a college club, although they are tryin to get students involved.

Yours in TKD,
    Regards,
    Memphis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

The courteous ;) thing to do would be to ask your current instructor if he doesn't mind you training with some other people while you're away at college. Not sure what the best approach would be for competitions though.

While you're at it, why not take up another martial art; college is all about experimentation :D Something completely different can really open your eyes, even things like sweeps that you probably haven't touched in TKD yet (going by my RITA ITF experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No instructor would have a problem with you training in another club for extra practice. It's important to make sure that they are both from the same style of TKD, ie both ITF or WTF. If this isn't the case, just try to keep the differences separate.

As the previous poster said, it's a good idea to clear it with your current instructor, just out of courtesy. I've often trained with other clubs during the summertime, but they've always been clubs affiliated with our organisation (INTA ITF), so I stay within the same style. Different instructors have different strengths, so you see variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I'm with GST (Great Southern TKD) a branch of Taekwondo International.

The club within my colleges town is not actually TKD, its simply self-defence. It hasn't get materialsed yet, they are still trying to get numbers. But as far as I can see there should be nothing stopping me from training with them.

As regards to the competition, it probably won't be much of a training session to prepare me for that. But if it does start, I'll probably go along just to help out.

As for speaking to my instructor out of courtesy, that might actually be a good idea. Thanks

memphis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Memphis,
    Just mention it to your instructor that you will be training at this other club to stay in shape for your TKD.There won't be any hassle and if you train under Mr. Buckley he has never had a problem with people training in a few clubs.He's affiliated with a lot of other associations as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Musashi,

Where did that spiel on your sig come from? It seems familarly somehow...

Colm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Musashi wrote:
    Memphis,
    Just mention it to your instructor that you will be training at this other club to stay in shape for your TKD.There won't be any hassle and if you train under Mr. Buckley he has never had a problem with people training in a few clubs.He's affiliated with a lot of other associations as well.

Yeah. i agree, I kinda forgot about the respecting my seniors part of my TKD oath, but I certainly will say it to my instructor. So you know Mr Brian Buckley then? Do you train under him too, or where do you train, and in what art?

My instructor is under Mr Buckley, he's a 4th dan, and very patient with all students, Mr Ruari O'Brien is his name, from Cobh, co. Cork. I'm sure he'll have no problem with me training with this other group.

Memphis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I used to train TKD under Mr. Mark Buckley and did a preliminary grading for my second Dan under his brother,Mr. Brian Buckley.
    I found them both excellent instructors and easy to get on with.I hope to return to training soon under one of Marks other students who's just opened a club in town :)

Colm,
    my sig line is from the book "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein.
    I like the points in it about being a citizen brings responsibilities with the rights.
    I like that particular Quote as it matchs my own ideas about why I train in Martial Arts and other stuff.People often ask it it because i like fighting,I train so I don't have to.The best fighters I've met are also the quietest guys, anything they had to prove they did it in the ring or Dojang.
    Hope that helps.

p.s.
    You may have seen it on Self Defense Forums or Bladeforums as well??

Advertisement