Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool F.C Vs R.C Deportivo la Coruña (inc. scores after 7.30pm)

• 19-10-2004 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Liverpool looks like they are making some progress under Rafael Benitez, especally with their first away win. They are at home and are well used to spanish football.

Deportivo wont have too many surprises for him, they havent got a win yet in the champions league and havent had a great start in la liga.

It looks like liverpool might have the edge but I'm hoping Deportivo can get the win !!

3-2 to Deportivo ( I hope)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'll be shouting for Dépor too, but only because they beat Shelbourne in the Qualifying Rounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

seansouth wrote:
    I'll be shouting for Dépor too, but only because they beat Shelbourne in the Qualifying Rounds.

that makes very little sense to me, but then again what do i know, liverpool for a decent win and 3 points ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

the further Depor go, the better it makes Shels look.
    Anyway, go on the Pool! On tv3 as well, AFAIK....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't like the feeling I have in me water at all!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Reuters:

Liverpool: 22-Chris Kirkland; 17-Josemi, 4-Sami Hyypia, 23-Jamie Carragher, 21-Djimi Traore; 10-Luis Garcia, 14-Xabi Alonso, 16-Dietmar Hamann, 6-John Arne Riise; 5-Milan Baros, 9-Djibril Cisse

Deportivo Coruna: 1-Jose Molina; 2-Manuel Pablo, 5-Cesar Martin, 14-Jorge Andrade, 15-Joan Capdevila; 18-Victor Sanchez, 6-Mauro Silva, 4-Aldo Duscher, 19-Albert Luque; 21-Juan Carlos Valeron; 7-Walter Pandiani

Referee: Anders Frisk (Sweden)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

jesus! No Liverpool players can finish! Its like watching Ireland.

Gadzooooooks! Pool should be 3 up, Luis Garcia should be withdrawn for Finnan I think he'd be more use.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Deportivo are lucky, talk about missing chances. Depor looks very low in confidence. I wonder how long Irureta will be manager.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

It looks like liverpool might have the edge but I'm hoping Deportivo can get the win !!
    3-2 to Deportivo ( I hope)

Down with that sort of talk .....Neg rep for you I'm afraid !

here, i support Deportivo !!!

I didnt know your not allowed to support your own team :mad:

• Advertisement

I knew it was'nt going to be a good night. First a word for a player who did well - Traore! Very composed for the most part and able to pull off some nice quick passing too. Now the bad - all the front players except Kewell who did some god stuff when he came on. Baros and Cisse might as well be on different planets.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Right bad result, definately should have won. But thats football. At half time I think everyone could see a 0-0 coming. The result means Liverpool are going to have to beat Monaco or Depor away. And thats assuming the will beat Olympiakos at home.

However, there definately were some positives. Hamann looked excellent alongside Alonso, who looks a different class at times. They totally controlled the game. Traore was good. Carragher looked very good again. The really just need to sort out the strikers, and I would expect that to happen in January. You cant play Cisse and Baros in the same team, there is no direction.

I have my full confidence in Benetiz. The team played some quality football tonight. He just needs more time to finish building his side and get all the Houllier misfits out for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

mike65 wrote:
    Baros and Cisse might as well be on different planets.

they're not playing well individually and certainly not as a pair. Agreed kewell was good though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mike65 wrote:
    Baros and Cisse might as well be on different planets.

Mike.

I agree . Bloody hell how many chances do we need to score ??

At least it wasent as bad as past performances against Valencia and Barcelona !

here, i support Deportivo !!!

I didnt know your not allowed to support your own team :mad:
    Weren't you supporting Shels when they played them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I want my evening back was flicking between this and the United game and couldn't believe 1 there were no goals and 2 there were no goals !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus, talk about poor finishing. Take back Emile!!

Of course I was supporting Shels in Europe, Deportivo came second on that tie.

I spent the match flicking between the two games as well. Very disapointed to be honest, I thought there would be more urgency and a few goals.

Good result for Depor, I reckon Depor can beat Liverpool at the Riazor looking at that performance tonight. I thought Baros hasnt learnt any new tricks - kept doing his runs without ever looking up and Cisse the same except with some terrible crosses too boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And I have to say I hate your man Frisk. Was very inconsistent in his decisions. Sometimes no contact was allowed, and then others body checks were going unpunished. Also some terrible tackles went unpunished. He should give up the playboy look and just become a proper nerdy ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamie_jj69

brutal result for the pool...

we need a new striker... can anyone on the team score goals? we depended on Stevie G to get us into the Champs League, and now that he's gone we're in trouble.

Nobody on the team has any drive. I think the only one who really shows in his performances that he wants to win is carragher. The rest don't seem to care.

Whats the story with Luis Garcia? I have read many reviews raving on about him being the new Dalglish... I have yet to see him play well for Liverpool. He adds nothing to the squad. I would start Finnan before him on the right. Adds more balance to the team, will stay on the right and will attack and defend well. Garcia is afraid of tackles and will gladly let the opposition have the ball if he knows he's about to be challenged.

Josemi was a good signing, he's solid enough and will let the wingers know he's there. Alonso will be excellent when he's settled in the centre with Stevie G. I just hope to god that Nunez is better equipped on the wing than Garcia is.

It was good to see Kewell come on and put on a good performance... more of the same please Harry...

Who's gonna score goals though? Baros - no (thought he was playing midfield in the 2nd half), Cisse - no (can't stay onside)... who does that leave?

On football365.com there are rumours linking Morientes to Liverpool in January. Seemingly he was committed to the new Real manager before he legged it, so now he's not happy sitting on the bench. He knows Rafa is interested and said that it would be hard to turn down an offer from Liverpool if it were to come in January.

Please God let things turn around for the better.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Having spent several years defending negatively in Europe we deserved what we got last night. Depor defended brilliantly - closed us down very well and gave us few chances despite our possesion. On the occasions we did get close their goalkeeper was excellent.

Cisse and Baros were poor - absolutely no link up at all. Baros started well and looked reasonably bright but it was all head down stuff, oblivious to his team around him. Against a packed defence you need to be a bit more clever then that. As the game went on I think Baros's head started to drop a bit, after his bright opening he started to seem just as happy to create a free kick as work an opening.

Cisse was very poor but was possibly about to start coming into the game more around the time he was taken off - doing more work on the right hand side.

Overall I was disapointed, not sure I fancy our chances of qualifying...

And I have to say I hate your man Frisk. Was very inconsistent in his decisions. Sometimes no contact was allowed, and then others body checks were going unpunished. Also some terrible tackles went unpunished. He should give up the playboy look and just become a proper nerdy ref.
    How could you hate the referee that gave us 2 penalties in the 1 match??? :eek: ;) He loves the Irish, he even reffed a friendly in Lansdowne this year and gave us everthing. :D There was supposedly a picture of him in one of the papers with a load of Irish a few days before the Spain match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

got a text last night which amused me, i had beer taken though so humour me

Baros: (looking hurt and confused) but gaffer there is no team in I
    Benitez: good god, u are more frustrating than a plate of stale paella! Listen u either pass the ball or your coming off!
    Baros: yeah right, who you gonna bring on?
    Benitez: touche frontman!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Im pretty annoyed at last night performance to be honest!
    I just dont get cisse what is hes function on the team,he has no brain,he cant read a pass and he so far this season has prooved bad on front of the goal.oh and could someone teach him the offside rule!
    Baros was poor but he had a bit of interest in the game he made one or two chances for himself and generaly put in the effort.
    If i was dropping a striker it would be easy to choose cisse would have to sit on the bench he is so lazy!
    Traore was excellent and im delighted for him he will settle nicely in now i hope to fist team football.
    Great to see kewell back too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Agree. Traore was good and at one point I thought he was going to get a nose bleed he was that far forward in Depor's half. :-) Cisse poor. They are lacking the final touch but the defence seemed more solid than I've seen in a while.

i still have great faith that we can qualify we know we are better than all the teams in our group we have proven it (except agianst a certain olympiakos) but we really shouldnt have to mush trouble qualifying if we play well. If we get a decent result at the riazor then we will qualify as Steve will be back for the last 2 matches wont he??

mayordenis wrote:
    i still have great faith that we can qualify we know we are better than all the teams in our group we have proven it (except agianst a certain olympiakos) but we really shouldnt have to mush trouble qualifying if we play well.
    You have proven that you are better than the 3 teams at Anfield (everyone is better than Olympiakos at home) but haven't proved anything away from home. Monaco's home record last season was:
    Athens 4-0
    Deportivo 8-3
    PSV 1-1
    Lokomotiv 1-0
    Real Madrid 3-1
    Chelsea 3-1

They didn't win one away match.

Deportivo's home record was:
    Athens 3-0
    Monaco 1-0
    PSV 2-0
    Juventus 1-0
    AC Milan 4-0
    Porto 0-1

They only won 1 away game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cisse looks very poor, but remember Angel looked even worse in his first season, give him time and I think he could become a good Premiership player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Those past results make for scary reading - we were a lot better then Depor last night but they didn't come to play football, they defended deeply and resolutely (poetic justice for the way we played over the last few seasons). It'll be a different story in Spain and I'm not particularly confident. They'll be very dangerous and should we lose then we'll struggle to qualify.

Also before last night Rafa had managed teams against Depor 8 times and lost 5 of those. I'll worry about Monaco away when we get that far...

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Monaco's home record last season was:

sorry but i put the emphasis on last season they sold half there team they are not a shoadow of what they were last season. and also last season we had heskey so . . .

mayordenis wrote:
    sorry but i put the emphasis on last season they sold half there team they are not a shoadow of what they were last season. and also last season we had heskey so . . .
    Of the team that played in the final last season, Rothen, Morientes, Giuly and Edouard Cisse are the players gone. They've got in Maicon, Farnerud (back from loan), Kallon (great stats), Chevanton, Perez and Saviola. There basically as strong as ever in defence and up front but their midfield has been weakened (on paper). There certainly not to be taken lightly because of that though. They've done something Liverpool couldn't do in beating Deportive 2-0 at home this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

very poor. risse is terrible, should be out the door in january. even worse in left back. definitly expect to see kewell in his place next game, did very weel when he came on.

cisse and baros, one of them has to go, and think it should be baros. i think garcia would be better playing of the front player and not right winger. it should be cisse and garcia up front and finnan right side.

defense is good, carragher has done excellent. hyypia is past it though, need a replacement for him.

feel sorry for benetiz taking over a bunch of lemons. i look forward to transfer window to open and see who he brings in

Advertisement