Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Communication

Options
  • 19-10-2004 5:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a project for college on interplanetary communication and i'm screwed. i have some info on the IPN(interplanetary network) and other types of optical comms, but i can't find any info on the current types of space communication. i need some technical details on the current method of communication, like satellites and so on. any help would be useful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/communications.html outlines the communication with the Mars rovers.

Satellites are a bit more flexible. Any frequency that can get through the atmosphere will work, though some are more prone to space intereference than others, there are chunks of the gigahertz bands reserverd for this. Which is why you can download weather pictures on a scanner. There are a range of technologies available, for the passive (packet radio standards) to the more complex TCP,ATM.

Since your project is on interplanetary communications I'd use the rover page above as a start. For the bleeding edge, you'll need to go to the journals. For starters http://adsabs.harvard.edu and search for communication or somesuch in the Instrumentation, your college should be able to get you access to the journals that require a subscription.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ah i threw some useless information into the project, but has some very nice pictures, so my hopes are high. ;) thanks for the info anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Interplanetry - as in the solar system or to a different solar system ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

Interplanetry would sugest in side one System,

Intersteller wouud bean between star systems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SpaceJunkie

LOL!

Looks like we're having trouble enough communicating here, let alone interplanetary or extraterrestrially. Sheesh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Somewhat tangential to the thread topic, but might be interest to some:
    'Reception of Mars Spacecrafts by Radio Amateurs' - http://www.amsat-dl.org/p5a/reception_g3ruh.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I think Picard uses subspace comms :D

Advertisement