Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SF:UK....I think not!

• 30-04-2001 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I have been watching SF:UK late night channel4. Although I enjoy sci-fi and the inclusion of Alan Moore interviews was a bonus I was rather disheartened at the narrators and some of the contributors take on sci-fi.

His whole thing about Dan Dare for instance missed the point of the post war period in sci-fi and he negleted to mention the excellent art work. His droning on about "dark" sci-fi had more to do with the fringe SF:USA than anything the UK produced.
    Seeing a bunch of Adults sit about and "officially" discuss comics was frankly sad, especially given their liking for the worn out "shock" comic genre which apparently allows them to dismiss anything else out of hand (ie. actual sci-fi).

And for all the "controversial" views of UK SF the program did not dare question the established names, but rather picked on more unpopular or forgotten writers and artists. LAME. REALLY LAME.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Adults discussing comics is sad? Get thee away from me! there is a large body of work directed solely at adults (and I don't just mean the comics that think it's big and clever to swear all the time) so why wouldn't adults talk about them?

The only one of these programs I seen was the one on Ultra-violence and focused mainly on 2000AD. I thought it was quite good myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

If i could weigh in here ,there an awful amount of the comic industry aimed at the Adult market , in fact theyre the only real consumers ie:the silent majority of theyre younger readers would just flick through in your local newsagents.
    But its true that SF:UK sucks like a dyson

Shrewgar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

The idea inferred by SF:UK is that these people (adult comic book readers) have a defining opinion on Sci-fi and what its about. My point is they should read a book".....

As I siad I welcomed the inclusion of Alan Moore BUT to concentrate on comics and hardly mention actual pioneering literature (for which the UK is famous) was crass nonsence that undermined the premise of the entire series. After all it is books, not films or comics, that have pointed the way development of sci-fi.

Keep your powder dry and your pants moist

Advertisement