Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest from the US Presidential contest

Options
  • 19-10-2004 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3756976.stm
    Bush and Kerry clash on flu jabs

A new Democrat TV ad calls the shortage a "George Bush mess" and Mr Kerry told a Florida rally that the president's health care plan was "don't get sick".

Mr Bush hit back, accusing Mr Kerry of using scare tactics as he tried to allay any fears among voters.

:eek:

Am I reading that right? Should I have gone to Specsavers? Bush accuses Kerry of using scare tactics?

I can just see the press conference tomorrow...
    A White House spokesman dismissed claims from the Kettle that the Pot called him blackar*e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Am I reading that right? Should I have gone to Specsavers? Bush accuses Kerry of using scare tactics?
    You don't think that maybe, just maybe, Bush is full of sh*t and that's why he sprays it all over the lectern when he is out campaigning? ;) There is nothing surprising in what Bush is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bush claims that, under Kerry, healthcare will be rationed (i.e. given to those who need it)
    About 1,000 high-risk residents of Bloomfield, New Jersey, entered a lottery to be used to decide who will get the town's remaining 300 jabs.
    Under Bush it looks like a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The polls are still showing a more or less dead heat.. the electoral college votes are swinging back and forth every few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Moriarty wrote:
    The polls are still showing a more or less dead heat.. the electoral college votes are swinging back and forth every few days.
    I like many others have been watching this site for the last 6 weeks or so and I see things swinging in the right direction for Kerry. I won't say yet he's unstoppable, just that he's moving in the right direction. And that he is now looking like the likely winner.
    Paddy Power is still offering good odds on a Kerry to win. I haven't put a bet on it yet, but I will tomorrow.

From what I've seen, each candidate reaches a peak of ~290 votes, then begins the slide back to ~230 to the benefit of the other one. Each cycle appears to last about 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Moriarty wrote:
    From what I've seen, each candidate reaches a peak of ~290 votes, then begins the slide back to ~230 to the benefit of the other one. Each cycle appears to last about 10 days.
    It's been up and down like a yoyo for the last week or so. Changed every second day as far as I can see.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

PH01 wrote:
    I like many others have been watching this site for the last 6 weeks or so and I see things swinging in the right direction for Kerry. I won't say yet he's unstoppable, just that he's moving in the right direction. And that he is now looking like the likely winner.

Obviously you, Paddy Power and electoral-vote all have neglected to heed TomF. He has assured us that there is no way Kerry will win.

Indeed, with the odds moving in his favour, TomF may well encourage us all a third time to put money on Bush while the odds are foolishly good.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I just checked my paddypower.com account. In 2002 I bet on:

- "Hear Say to break up before the end of 2002" (3-1)
    - "SClub-7 to split up in 2002" (6-1)
    - "Formation Of The Next Government" (8-1)

and won on all of them (unfortunately), and yet i just can't convince myself to stick 20 quid on a Kerry win.

hrmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Each side is using scare tactics - Republicans saying Kerry would betray the US to Bin laden like he did to the vietcong, and Democrats saying Bush would build a Death Star and extinguish the sun now that he wouldnt have to worry about getting elected again. Christ, Kerrys big claim to fame is the "Im not Bush - Hes fricking evil so Ive got to be better" line.

I did note that Bush is supposedly leading in the popular polls but that Kerry is leading in the 13 swing states. I wonder, I wonder, I wonder will we see a sudden grudging respect for the merits of the american electoral college system if Bush wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college vote?Especially from factions who decried the 2000 result as a illegitmate because Gore won the popular vote?

As of today..

Kerry: 247 electoral votes

Bush: 285 electoral votes

Needed to win: 270

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Moriarty wrote:
    As of today..

Kerry: 247 electoral votes

Bush: 285 electoral votes

Needed to win: 270

Which means nothing. If you watch the site the numbers bounce back and forth. You can even watch the movie to see how many times it happens.

.. I never said it meant anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be interesting to see if the re-born Clinton can make the difference by getting out the registered Democrat voters.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mike65 wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see if the re-born Clinton can make the difference by getting out the registered Democrat voters.

Mike.

The danger with Clinton is that he is so dispised by the republicans that he could galvanise their support... :eek: Red rag to the bull....or elephant or whatever the hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

RuggieBear wrote:
    The danger with Clinton is that he is so dispised by the republicans that he could galvanise their support... :eek: Red rag to the bull....or elephant or whatever the hell...

Hardly. Anyone who is republican is unlikely to change their vote at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Hobbes wrote:
    Hardly. Anyone who is republican is unlikely to change their vote at this stage.

Aye...but it might kept them off thier arses to the polling station...

Advertisement