Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Bank Holiday Weekend

• 19-10-2004 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

Besides the Jazz Fest, what else is going on in Cork? What is good to do in Cork? It's my girlfriends b-day and I want to do something special with her. More than a dinner or the Cinema, something memerable and different. What attractions are there? We will be there saturday evening till monday evening.

On the Jazz fest, what is the BIG event if any?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Abandon ship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You could take her to the road to Dublin...

.....ZING!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah cmon, there must be something to do in Cork City? Any theatres or anything? Please provide links if you can thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You may get a better response on this board like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Not living in Cork at the moment but yeah there's the Kino check out www.kinocinema.net might be something on.. or check what gig's are on in the Opera House and the Metropole.

Go to Fota.. could be a nice day trip.. train down..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Big event is the Metroploe Sunday night, same as every other year. But Amp Fiddler, along with Cartoon are playing in the Opera House saturday night.

Now, U dont want Jazz, so i would suggest going to Kinsale or Clonakilty for an evening, but why anyone doesnt want jazz amazes and confuses me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

It would help if u told us what you were interested in...

Wowwww woww, I do want Jazz, I love Jazz, but besides Jazz what else is on? have you a link to the metropole place? Amp Fiddler? Cartoon? what kind of music? Jazz? Hostel booked in Youghal so will be closest to Cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im going myself with the wife.. we booked at the Ibis hotel there.. the reason im going to cork is because they have an IBIS there :D they are cheap.. Room costs €53 for the night so thats cheaper than a B&B since there is two of us. Also usually very nice hotels too! Big rooms.
    Will have to check out the Jazz

cormie wrote:
    Wowwww woww, I do want Jazz, I love Jazz, but besides Jazz what else is on? have you a link to the metropole place? Amp Fiddler? Cartoon? what kind of music? Jazz? Hostel booked in Youghal so will be closest to Cork city
    We have this new-fangled thing down in Cork called Google cormie, make sure you ask someone about it when you're down here. You need to get the phrasing right though, as Cork people take offense easily. Try this...

*koff*
    "Here langer? Yer brasser of an auld wan said you'd tell us about Google like! She reckons yer a steamer so I'll strip down to me bareaas and you can show me while we flah, aright boy?"
    Note that using Google requires some physicality, so to maximise your educational experience look for the largest gentleman you can find. For best results, ensure he's wearing tracksuit pants and a hoody. The hood should be in the raised position.

Good luck, and make sure you tell us how you get on!

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    We have this new-fangled thing down in Cork called Google cormie, make sure you ask someone about it when you're down here. You need to get the phrasing right though, as Cork people take offense easily. Try this...

*koff*

Note that using Google requires some physicality, so to maximise your educational experience look for the largest gentleman you can find. For best results, ensure he's wearing tracksuit pants and a hoody. The hood should be in the raised position.

Good luck, and make sure you tell us how you get on!

adam

Sorry, but who are you? You made another unhelpful addition to another post also.

I know about google but I prefer to get the inside story from the residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah, who are you anyway? You unhelpful cur! Begone I say, you are clearly not a resident of Cork!

On the other hand; abandon ship.

Cartoon

Metropole and other Itinerary

Youghal is a long way from Cork City, about a 45 minute drive, so I dunno what to tell ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

So, on the jazz weekend when 70,000 people come to Cork to drink and listen to jazz, you want to know what else there's to do on this jazz weekend. There really isn't much else on in the City. A lot of the Cork folks leave cos of the pissheads everywhere. Try Kinsale or look at touring around West Cork.

cormie wrote:
    Sorry, but who are you? You made another unhelpful addition to another post also.
    Humour. Sarcasm. In both cases. A peculiar sense of humour and a cutting wit is another thing Cork people are famous for. Even some Cork people don't seem to get it. (Danni, unless you were being sarcastic yerself, you should really have repped me down, not up.)

You really should know these things before you step onto our hallowed turf. See? I'm being helpful!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

The Franciscan Well is having its international beer thing this weekend as well just thought I'd do my bit.

The Franciscan Well is having its international beer thing this weekend as well just thought I'd do my bit.
    S'right, I was in there last night and the marquee was up already. Rebel Red Rocks.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

I'm a Shannon Stout or Blarney Blond man myself not a big fan of the Rebel Red though.

Thats settled then. Once the free jazz is finished in the Metroploe on Saturday and Sunday - hot foot it to the well for some Schneider Weisse :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

There'll be nothing left on Monday in the well. Get there today. I'm back on the booze today after 12 months so that's where I'm heading.

• Advertisement

What a day out. For you people who feel the need to 'escape' Cork for the Jazz Wknd, well you are misguided and sadly deluded uneducated people.

Up to 4 yrs ago, i never thought i liked Jazz, in fact I went with the now accpeted inbred norm, that the entire Jazz wknd was 'crap'.

That is, I went to a jazz gig, and its ****ing excellent.

Today I saw 7 different bands, all of which were just outstanding.

The Opera House for Cartoon and Amp Fiddler - amazing. Ive seen Cartoon a few times, but tonight they were better than ever.

Amp Fiddler. Never heard of him before, but after tonight i know ill make a point of hearing much more of him.

So for those of you, with your heads wedged up your arses, give it a try, there is still sunday AND Monday to happen yet. Youd never know, u might even enjoy it! :eek:

Maaaad weekend.

Oh, I love Jazz. I just don't like the tossers that come down here and invade our city on Jazz Weekend. Bit rich calling us uneducated when you're so thick you couldn't figure that out, eh?

adam

I probably should stop posting after nights out.

As for 'idiots' invading our City, well, i like the fact that for this wekened Cork becomes the centre of peoples universe, and spend good money to our local economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

dahamsta wrote:
    Oh, I love Jazz. I just don't like the tossers that come down here and invade our city on Jazz Weekend. Bit rich calling us uneducated when you're so thick you couldn't figure that out, eh?

adam

I love them! First time in ages I went into town without being overwhelmed by skangers and people in pink tracksuits everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

So for those of you, with your heads wedged up your arses, give it a try, there is still sunday AND Monday to happen yet. Youd never know, u might even enjoy it!

Well, I went outside my front door this morning to get the paper, and I spent most of the time avoiding puddles of puke and abandoned curries and chineses. ( I live on the Mardyke, near the Mercy). If this is the extra money being spent in Cork over the bank holiday, then I want no part of it. My local had a bouncer on the door last night, something that I've never seen before.

simu wrote:
    I love them! First time in ages I went into town without being overwhelmed by skangers and people in pink tracksuits everywhere!
    Jaysus simu, where do you be drinkin?!

EDIT: Ah, you mean town in the afternoon, yeah? Fair point. Wouldn't go near the place on a Saturday meself, and it's grand during the week.

adam

gimmick wrote:
    As for 'idiots' invading our City, well, i like the fact that for this wekened Cork becomes the centre of peoples universe, and spend good money to our local economy.
    Don't object to that either. I just don't want to deal with packed pubs and zero taxis if it's all the same to you. (Actually, taxis isn't an issue any more for me cos I live on the edge of town, but packed pubs most certainly is. Could never understand the mentality of people that enjoy being crushed like a sardine in a pub. Which is what I meant by "tossers". We get them down here too.)

adam

dudara wrote:
    Well, I went outside my front door this morning to get the paper, and I spent most of the time avoiding puddles of puke and abandoned curries and chineses. ( I live on the Mardyke, near the Mercy). If this is the extra money being spent in Cork over the bank holiday, then I want no part of it. My local had a bouncer on the door last night, something that I've never seen before.

I know Im breaking my promnise of not posting after coming home, but, lets lets be honest, this weekend is probably no worse than any other puke wise on the streets.

And again, lets be honest, its probably the same people puking and dropping their litter everywhere.

Today jazz wise was good. The Metroploe was manky busy. The MICHAEL BUCKLEY 3 piece BAND were outstanding. Jazz the way its meant to be played, and the audience were very appreciative. Lack of kudos btw for pushing a pint up by another 20c.

Saw another crowd in LV, think the were BT X. Harry J was the singer. Not bad. They probably were playing too early in the day to get better appreciation (ie folk hadnt enough booze in them).

Looking fwd to next jazz wknd already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Ha ye are all stuck in crappy ireland!Pitty u are not over here plenty to see and do,hi to all in rainy ireland!Rome is the best,bah cork
    :cool: Rome :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement