Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The bills keep increasing....

• 19-10-2004 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have started to look at how much that I am spending lately on recurring monthly/bi-monthly utility bills.....

Its funny that as soon as you start to examine it, you can start to see what value you are getting (or not as the case may be!)

Yesterday, I cancelled my phone (Eircom landline). Was paying a huge rental for about €8 worth of calls every two months!

Today I heard an ad on the radio for Airtricity.com, but unfortunatley, I dont know if they serve domestic customers.

Anyone know of any other alternative companies / existing discounts / etc... that would allow me to reduce my utility out-goings?

Ta,
    Jab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

We were on eircom, then spirit or something, smart telecom, and then switched back to eircom cos the performance of either of the other two were sketchy. One day we'd get calls the next day all we got was an engaged tone.

Also we did find that all of them ended up at pretty much the same price unfortunately, eircom was just the most reliable for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If you are on a bill pay mobile phone you might consider changing to a prepaid one. Meteor is probably the best value for pre-pay mobile phones. Only drawback is that their credit top ups expire. You have to top up the phone periodically to use yourphone continuously. O2 credit does not expire.

Meteor now has more-or-less full coverage now that they have signed that roaming agreement with O2 as well.

Meteors bill pay option is said to be better than vodafone or O2 but as I am not a customer I am only going on heresay.

Would changing your landline to UTV not be an option,

as for bills going up. Rubbish collection here in limerick with Mr. Binman company is now €360 a year, and it is due to go up again in the new year. but there are other companies that do cheaper, but are unreliable. They will sometimes not bother going to a street if there is only one bin to be collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Meteor is probably the best value for pre-pay mobile phones. Only drawback is that their credit top ups expire....

NO NO NO!!!
    sounds great but meteor are the biggest load of rubbish, sure there a bit cheaper and have "free" txt's but the level of service is useless, they have good signal most places, and texts get thru ok but its a nightmare trying to make a call to someone on meteor especially is they moved there number from a different network.
    lets just say there are many thing wrong with meteor!

A good way to cut bills is place a magnet In the electricity meter,
    Install energy efficient bulbs,
    boil only the water you need for tea and not a kettle,
    buy a lagging jacket,
    I could keep going till he cows come home!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Would changing your landline to UTV not be an option

We changed over the UTVTalk last month (landline through UTV - no more paying Eircon). We now get free calls to any landline in Ireland or the UK after 6pm and all weekend. Only drawback is your charged after the call passes an hour. But thats no drawback. Just hangup and call back.

Until there is an alternative to the ESB I will not be happy. Yet another 10% increase a few weeks back. Cúnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Getting rid of the phone is a good idea unless you make a serious amount of calls to foreign numbers. Otherwise ask yourself, how much talk time can I get for the line rental?

As for Meteor, I moved to them 3 months ago (prepaid), keeping my Vodafone number (which was RTG). I reckon it's saved me about thirty euro a month in call credit. Granted, it helps that a lot of my family and most dialed numbers are Meteor but even still, I can't fault their service for anything other than the long hold queues on their customer service lines (which everyone else seem to have too).

• Advertisement
Advertisement