Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typing the kana

• 20-10-2004 2:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Right I have a question, but first a quick guide for XP users (as far as I've got). Control panel >> regional and language options >> Languages (tab) >> Install files for east asian languages (checkbox)
    Then click "details" under the same tab and add a japanese keyboard.
    Then there should be a little "EN" down the bottom right of your screen. Just change that to JP.. There are a lot of things you can mess with, hiragana/katakana etc.. But for the most part input is in romaji. Basically that means if you type "watashi wa dekuran desu" it comes up something like "ワタシ ワ デクラン デス"

Ok in the process of writing this I've answered my own question so never mind.. I'm sure Sico will have stuff to add to this tho..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Addition:
    If you want to type kanji, go for hiragana, type what you want, then hit space and pick it from the drop-down list. It'll give katakana for what you've typed there too, so it's a quick way to avoid having to go back and forth between the language bar to change setting.

And for pre-Win2k users:
    Head for Microsoft's site and download the Japanese Global IME.

Advertisement