Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PRP Review - Salary increase based on Merit

• 20-10-2004 8:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Help please

I am working in IT as a Tech Support Agent.

I had my yearly review and they didn't get me a satisfactory mark. As a result, I have a 2% salary increase below inflation rate (this is not the worse) and I have to do numerous meetings and recalculate my daily stats in order to prove that I was doing better than they want to admit.

Every time I have a meeting with the boss, he find that one of the 'crutial' figure is not up to standard. Then I come back after recalculation, and in fact my result is good,THEN the boss moves to another figure : in fact,the figure I showed you before is not the one that s gonna pull you up or down etc ..

Because I disagree with the decision and I now have some elements to try my case, I appealed : next step.we are going to rediscuss my review with HR as well as managers.

I have hard evidence (stats,figures) that show that I performed pretty well compare to the majority. When comparing my figure to another tech who has poor result and good review (without showing the name) the answer was : hem yes but some techs are involved in 'special projects' and we can't quantify everything !!!!
    It is X-files let me tell you. I know those techs personnally.

I have the feeling to fight against the mob !

I am now 'fighting' for 2 months to get this fixed. It is energy draining, and they're implicitely telling me that nothing s gonna change what ever good result I demonstrate.

Does anyone have experience to share please. How to win such an argument?

Surely there are a couple of you with good and bad experiences that can relate to my case.

Cheers,

Me : falling_down.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Doesn't look to me like you're ever going to get any good out of them. Perhaps working to the standard they think you are at (or below it) while looknig for another job might be best! Doesn't look much like you'll be getting a good reference either so i'd try to **** them over as much as is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Is there any reason why your manager(s) would want to give you a poor review compared to colleagues who have performed less well? If they're giving better pay increases to other employees in similar roles then they're obviously not limiting yours for financial reasons. They must have some reason (either fair or unfair) for doing it.

If management an HR are still refusing to budge after two months then you're probably going to end up settling for the 2% or sending out lots of CV's and leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

"Is there any reason why your manager(s) would want to give you a poor review compared to colleagues who have performed less well?"

To start with, the mark I got was based on wrong stats and even before I could recalculate the stats myself, and show that there was a mistake, they were saying that the final result wouldn t move!

I am not the same in this situation. I believe they are trying to justify the fact that they were right in their judjement even though the stats were not correct. They don t want everyone who s not happy with the review to knock at their door.... (just a thought)

They kept telling me that some tech agents were performing better .. This was pure speculation/lies/ misleading. As I put some hard evidence that that wasn t the case, then the problem is moving around .... It is clear they do not want to reconsider my case, this PRP process is meant to be the 'fair' way to deal with it but I have to go to a detailed interview that other techs who succedeed in the first place didn t have to go through, hence they are going to pinpoint stuff that was of no importance in the first round.

They keep comparing me with others when it suits them (without proof) and when I try to do the same (WITH evidence) then they say I can t compare with others.

What I dislike is that they want me to believe that there is a rational and scientific explaination to this final result but it doesn t add up.

This is most stressing.

Does anyone knows about PRP, how it works, what options do i have as an amployee, what can I ask for, tips, etc ?

I am pessimistic about this last meeting I ll have (the appeal), and I will ask them to write down the detailed explanation in an email. I am fed up with "bla bla bla blur blur speculations fake info etc ..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

If you are unhappy with your proformance, and you have hard evidence in the way of stats, figures etc, then you should be able to go througha greivence proceedure.

If you are not having any fun through your manager, then you may have to go above them and either go to their manager and/or senior HR.

if you are not getting any luck, then i would say the company you are with probably has a low employee retention rate, and they dont rank job satisfaction for employees very highly. A lot of call centres are like this unfonrtunately, and it is the nature of the beast.

it could be that someone made a boo-boo, and they are trying to cover it up by just putting you off or fluffing for time inthe hope that you drop it.
    if it really is that important to you, then take it up and run with it. at least then you will get to see what sort of company you are working for.

My advice is to go over you manager. If this does not resolve it, then start looking at the job pages. There is no point in staying in a job you are not happy in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm afraid this is yet another one of the dirty tricks commonly played by call centres in order to deny their workers a living wage. We had a similar case at work a while back, and unfortunately it all boils down to local politics. They inevitably always seem to have a back out clause that allows them to doctor stats for "special people." You can't really win.

The systems I've seen used in Irish call centres are generally very superficial, but one I worked in a few years ago did a study on repeat calls only to find, to its horror, that so-called "top performers" were generating double the work for other people. I think you may need to talk to somebody in HR who is outside the political arena of your immediate team in order to get accross that you are not operating on an even playing field and want your review re-checked.

Its a very typical thing by the way. Most companies basically train their employees in the realisation that there are no realistic promotional possibilities and expect high attrition. They accept this until their business starts to suffer - unfortunately this is yet to come for most of the ones with big presences in Ireland.

Brush off your cv at this point. You will need to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shoegirl wrote:
    I'm afraid this is yet another one of the dirty tricks commonly played by call centres in order to deny their workers a living wage. We had a similar case at work a while back, and unfortunately it all boils down to local politics. They inevitably always seem to have a back out clause that allows them to doctor stats for "special people." You can't really win.

The systems I've seen used in Irish call centres are generally very superficial, but one I worked in a few years ago did a study on repeat calls only to find, to its horror, that so-called "top performers" were generating double the work for other people. I think you may need to talk to somebody in HR who is outside the political arena of your immediate team in order to get accross that you are not operating on an even playing field and want your review re-checked.

Its a very typical thing by the way. Most companies basically train their employees in the realisation that there are no realistic promotional possibilities and expect high attrition. They accept this until their business starts to suffer - unfortunately this is yet to come for most of the ones with big presences in Ireland.

Brush off your cv at this point. You will need to look elsewhere.

amen to that sister.
    completely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well I think the writings on the wall if you have to prove that you are a good worker. Obviously you're in someones bad books for some reason. Either charm them back to your side, or look at moving elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

it wouldn't surpirse me in the slightest it this was a clientlogic style organisation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i totally aggree with u there regarding clientlogic.The so called special agents got all the good shifts and hence the promotions and lets put it this way they were no more special than u or i.They just sucked up to managment at every oportunity.It sucked but i left like alot of other good people there.

Advertisement