Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo's "Revolution" Explained

Options
  • 20-10-2004 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

In the latest issue of Game Informer, Reggie Fils-Aime explains that the revolution of Nintendo's next generation system will be how it handles the gaming "community". Playing across "long distances" WITHOUT resorting to an "online approach."
    "We believe that the consumer wants more in the area of community, and we are looking at how to deliver that. We think the online approach of today is a bit flawed. We think the consumer wants a better way. And that's what we're looking to do with Revolution. What I am saying is that with our next home console we will address the area of gamer community. You said "online." I used "online" as a description of a flawed business model. We are passionate about enabling our gamers to play with their friends [and] to play with others across long distances. There are a number of different ways to execute that."

Sounds interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

People gonna mail each other memory cards or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Itll just be a 5th controller port. And longer joypad leads. Possibly a new hat.

NEU! Nintendo revolution, mit neu hat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hopefully its some sort of long range wireless lan. More than than likely it will be the 5th controller port with longer cables :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Probably more of that white elephant 'connectivity'. Nintendo's stubborn refusal to go online is a pain in the arse – imagine Mario Kart running on an online service as good as Xbox live.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sounds like Xbox Live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Probably more of that white elephant 'connectivity'. Nintendo's stubborn refusal to go online is a pain in the arse – imagine Mario Kart running on an online service as good as Xbox live.

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about playing their console games online? For me, multiplayer has always been about getting a few friends over and sitting down, playing a bit of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (still play them to this day). I play online games on PC, but only things like Desert Combat, where the single player is sh**e (if existant). Online is just so impersonal, I really don't see the attraction. Concerning your example, I'd far, far prefer a good 8, even 4 player games of Mario Kart on LAN or a single console to any sort of online game. You guys may joke about a fifth controller port, but if I had the choice between a 4-controller console (not online) and a 2-controller one with full online capabilities, I'd go for the 4-controller console straight away.

The best times I've had playing games were in Stack with Pistols, One-Hit-Kills and 3 good friends. As much as I'm for LAN gaming and the like, I really don't see how online can compare to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Kinda agree, the best thing about multiplayer games, especially on consoles is the banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Thraktor makes a really good point. I'd even go a step further and ask why there is such and emhpasis on online and multiplayer modes these days. The best gaming experiences of my life (FF7, Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil, etc) were all solitary affairs and quite frankly, I preferred them that way too. What worries me is that developers are going to focus on multiplayer aspect of the game to the detriment of the single player game as has happened with the PC.

P.S. Anyone wanna sell me a GC on the cheap? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to agree. I much prefer playing multiplayer games in close proximity with people. When I used to play online people were taking the game too seriously and there was a lot of muppetry and abuse. However whenever I played a lan with people i didn't know or even people that took games very seriously online it was a completely different experience. The best part of it is the slaggings and the shouting abuse jokingly to the other people.

64 player battlefield online isn't for me or Counterstrike. I'd rather a six computer lan party and half life or Starcraft or even a few friends, a few cans and a great console 4 player game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would imagine its like Live but with high score tables for single player games , everyone wants them ever since Mario Golf (which didnbt work for PAL ) the general idea is there.

I would prefer an SP game with best times or high scores with a "portal" for chatting and posting your scores and going NAH NHA NAH NAHNNNHA etc:

They been inching towards it forever.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What draws me to xbox live is the fact that you end up playing against the best at the game. My mates don't own xboxes but they all have a go when they are in the house and yea its good craic and fun but not challenging - i'm not saying i'm brilliant but unless your friends have the same games console at home with the same games then your always going to be slightly better - practice makes perfect and all that.
    If you can find a few mates of equal or better ability then yea, but online is where the topguns are. tis a great feeling being at the top of the list when playing online. very rewarding. (and very rare :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Exactly. Of all my mates, only two of them are in anyway into gaming and even then, it's only PES and GTA. The chances of getting a good game of Mario Kart or Halo are next to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Twill all end in tears when the retaradtion of online gaming idiots kick in and you begin to hate the game you once loved.

Its all well and good being top but if your a CS/FPS muppet like myself its very hard to like a game you are continually annihilated in unless its designed well. Had to play CS and other lan games against too of the best (and for a good while the best) CS players in ireland. It wasn't much fun being beaten by them in most FPS games. I much preferred to play HL or similar since even though I still got humiliated I still had a chance of getting at least or more than 1 kill.

And I agree with jimeatsmenu. Once the retards start flooding the servers of a popular game you will end up hating it.

Advertisement