Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make millions on Party Poker!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Culchie wrote:
    If you play really tight fore the first two rounds of blinds, you'll be down to the last 5 of 10 in a STT, and take it from there !!, only need to eliminate two more and you are in the money.
    I thought that too but lately I seem to be sitting down at horrible 10$ tables at Ladbrokes. The last 3 weeks I've only won one and got money maybe twice more out of about 20 games. This is during the week, in the evenings. Weekends are different and I find the players usually don't seem to be as good then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I accept that you genuinely feel something is up with the servers. This topic comes up all the time, trawal through the archives of 2+2 or RGP to see what I mean, so you are unlikely to get a paticularly friendly response to asking the same question that has been asked time and time again.

Without meaning to offend anyone, most people are really really stupid. We are supersticuous. Even demi gods like De Vore find they play better (tighter) poker with rocks in their pocket than without (Im exactly the same, I have a pair of socks that I play soccer better in; rationally I know that this is a load of crap, but I still wear them nearly every week). As well as being stupid and superstitous, most people have no background in statistics. Lastly, whilst humans are quite stupid illogical creatures, what we are good at is spotting patterns. We excel at spotting patterns. If you dont believe me, take a look at a bunch of clouds. Are brains are not good at spotting randomness. SO, to recap:

Humans are superstious
    We generally dont understand statistics
    we see patterns where there are none

So it makes perfect sense that most people think online poker is rigged. Just like religon, I would be surprised if less people believed.

" Party-Poker just kills me everytime, too many times to be credible, is it because I'm not based in the USA and involves administration expenses etc...to pay out to a foreigner??"

The fact that you might consider that this is a viable business strategy, leads me to suspect that you wont appreciate the following argument. But Ill put it anyway.

A successfull Online Poker site is a license to print money. They CANNOT lose. As long as they keep their players at the site they will make a huge amount of money. Party Poker has over 40 thousand players playing at their site at anyone time. There is no reason for any of these sites to rig their servers, because it would be easily found out, and the site would go bankrupt. Any half assesed Maths Student could spend a few days and prove that the site (to a reasnable confidence level) is rigged or not rigged. There is no way around this.

There are other reasons, but that is the most compelling and easy to understand.

Best of luck

Daragh

DeVore wrote:
    If anyone has tips for online-specific play, I'm not too proud to listen to advice!! :)

DeV.

You get to play about twice as many hands, so you can afford to play tighter. Dont call raises with AQ unless its from a fairly liberal raiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Party Poker are making $1 million a day in rake, they are not 'targeting' anyone. It's human nature to blame anyone but ourselves when we lose, and frankly most people saying that a certain site is rigged don't want to admit their poor play or indeed random chance (that's why it's called gambling, folks) was to blame.

Dev, if you play limit online you better get your badbeat meter reset - you're going to see some unbelievable ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

DeVore wrote:

If anyone has tips for online-specific play, I'm not too proud to listen to advice!! :)

DeV.

The only real change for you Tom will be that you will not get the Tank time that you like to take in live games. If you have not made your call/raise/fold in 30 sec's you are automatically checked or folded as appropriate. Otherwise best of luck with it. Which site do you plan playing on?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I'd pretty much concur with HJ. I keep my rock (rocks? :) ) in my pocket because it tickles one part of me to do something so alien to the logical/raional part of my mind. "A little madness now and then, is cherished by the wisest men" as Mr Wonka put it. I havent changed my game etc but since it came with me on a nice winning streak it reminds me that I'm not "the worst player in the club" as Player X would have it! We're all human and sometimes after a bad beat (or worse a bad call!) its nice to remind yourself that you can win (and have).

The killer argument for the "poker server is messing with me on purpose" is: If they are targetting you, then someone else is the benfactor of that. Why would they choose some random punter to favour at such a greivous cost to them if caught!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andersde10

Imposter wrote:
    If you play really low entry games (5$ SnG's or maybe even 10$, low stake ring games and of course tournamnets), prepare for you're maths based game to bite you in the ass. You'll see a lot of people rivering hands that should have been folded pre-flop. Also I hope your calculations can be done in 20 seconds!

remember if you're playing $5 SnG's make sure the rake isn't $1 like in paradise poker - tis a bit difficult to beat 20% rake. Much better to play $10 with $1 rake which is 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Yeh,

I always wondered why do they do $5 STT with a $1 fee, and then also do $5 STT with a $0.50 fee as well, at the same time quite often.

It's a bit of a 'no brainer' really, but they still fill the tables with Mugs !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's possible that they tinker with the play money game to ensure players carry on into cash gaming by balancing it out. nobody is going to check for patterns in play money games.
    That guys 60 million must have been play money.

Here's the session I was talking about earlier. If any of you get time to have a look I would be much obliged. Starting hands were (in order):
    AKo, KQs, KJs, QJo, A4s, 75o, JJ, 84s, A6s, A6o, KK, K8o, 66, A6o, AJo, QJo, A2o, K7o, A6o, 76s, AQo

According to poker tracker I voluntarily put money in the pot 71% of the time. Usually according to the statistics for GamingClub and Ladbrokes I see about 25-35% of flops.

This was a file from Gamingclub (Prima) if anyone wants to run it through Pokertracker.

• Advertisement

I have some time in work, so Ill give this ago. It didnt work with pokertracker btw.

Secondhand, dont raise 1 preflop, AK doesnt play well with 8 other limpers. Either limp with it (to try and play a small pot) or raise the pot (to cut the numbers down). Fold on the flop, with that many limpers you cant be sure your outs are clean.

For the third hand, I wouldnt get too used to raising preflop with KQ, at the higher levels players will begin to just call with AQ/k rather than KQ, which is a nighmare for KQ. Once the flop hits, I would bet the flop. You want to play a big pot for this, and a PP might pay you off (like 10,10) not believing you would bet that flop with a Q.

Same goes for KJ as KQ, but I would bet that flop. You have one caller and its just as likely that he missed the flop as you did. Also you need to bluff here to provide protection for the times that you have an overpair.

I wouldnt raise JJ utg, in low stakes pot limit your not going to be able to cut the field down, and like AK JJ doesnt play well multiway (unless you hit a set), as there will more often that not be an overcard. Fold on the turn, your behind & you dont have odds to hit your straight, and the J will put a 4 straight on the board.

With the 84 hand, dont call the flop unless you plan to bet the turn, or call on the turn. You are giving away money here.

Dont limp with A6, its a losing hand no matter what position you are in.

With KK, when the A hits the flop; theres no harm in betting to represent the A. But once your called you are behind 99% of the time. Fold at the next opportunity.

JQo would usually be folded utg by a good player.

Thanks for that, it gives me a few things to think about. I was pretty annoyed that so few flops fell any way good for me.

I can't understand why it doesn't work in PT as that's the file as it came down from GamingClub.

I think I play quite passively and probably need to get a bit more aggressive. Would some 6-handed games help this do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I'll eat my hat (!) if any of the major sites are proved to currently deal cards which target groups of players, or types of players. It's just not in their interest. Getting caught at this kind of thing would just kill their site, the benifit they can gain from this type of activity is negligable (unless you buy into the "Major sites are running robot players to steal our money" theory).

Checkout policies are different between the sites though, and it would definately be worth seeing comparissons on this.

Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for that, it gives me a few things to think about. I was pretty annoyed that so few flops fell any way good for me.

I can't understand why it doesn't work in PT as that's the file as it came down from GamingClub.

I think I play quite passively and probably need to get a bit more aggressive. Would some 6-handed games help this do you think?

Sorry, just saw this reply now. Some 6max might be good, but remember to re-adjust your game when moving back. Especially starting hand requirements. Good luck!

Advertisement