Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Days Holidays

• 20-10-2004 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been working full time for the same company for 7+ years 37.5 hours a week. I get 20 days off a year which until this morning I thought was standard.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is in her job for 3 years and she told me this little gem -

"I get 23 days hols, cause everyone knows you have to get a extra day for every year you work with a company, up to 25 days...."

Does anyone know if this is true (and i doubt it) or is it just her Company?
    She doesn't do any more hours than me infact she only works 35 hours a week always 9 to 5 so it not some kind of shift allowance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JW123

Ya, we get the same, an extra day per year served up to 25 days eventually. To be honest if you are working 37.5 hours a week you have it good. I'm on a salary so I don't get paid overtime, yet regulary have to work 60-70 hour weeks and weekends due to the workload even though in theory I'm supposed to be on a 39 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Last job I was in gave 1 extra days holiday for year of service up to a maxiumun of 25 days though it would depend on individual companies, as far as I know there is no automatic right in employment legistlation to get extra service days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

JW123 wrote:
    Ya, we get the same, an extra day per year served up to 25 days eventually. To be honest if you are working 37.5 hours a week you have it good. I'm on a salary so I don't get paid overtime, yet regulary have to work 60-70 hour weeks and weekends due to the workload even though in theory I'm supposed to be on a 39 hour week.

If you are working that much I'd try to renegotiate your contract or hand in your notice. You could probably work 2 jobs a week (On the same hours) and bring in more money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

davidm20 wrote:
    Hi,
    I've been working full time for the same company for 7+ years 37.5 hours a week. I get 20 days off a year which until this morning I thought was standard.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is in her job for 3 years and she told me this little gem -

"I get 23 days hols, cause everyone knows you have to get a extra day for every year you work with a company, up to 25 days...."

Does anyone know if this is true (and i doubt it) or is it just her Company?
    She doesn't do any more hours than me infact she only works 35 hours a week always 9 to 5 so it not some kind of shift allowance.

Would I be guessing right that you are an accountant?

Anyways as far as i know 20 days is minimum.
    I have 21 as it is easier to say 1.75 days per month
    The 25 days is pretty standard for long term employees.
    Employer can specify certain days out of the 20 days. ie good friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JW123

damnyanks wrote:
    If you are working that much I'd try to renegotiate your contract or hand in your notice. You could probably work 2 jobs a week (On the same hours) and bring in more money

True, I know what you are saying, but like your username says that's half the problem. American company with no union and working in computers. There is very few other jobs out there in the line of work I am in. Also I live outside Dublin which limits the availability of alternative employment. To be honest, it seems to be a fairly regular occurence for most people I know working in computers. That said I just managed to have an interview last week with a new company, so here's hoping that will produce something.

Do most people now work 37.5/39 hour weeks? I know that's the directive from the EU, but I know very few who actually do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I just spoke to the girl that does the wages in my job about this and she said that the standard is 21 days with extra days being totally up to the discretion of the employer.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

narommy wrote:
    Would I be guessing right that you are an accountant?
    No Software Programmer

Thanks for the replies, it did seem like a long shot.
    Davidm20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

It would be nice if that was true, but unfortunately, your copmany does not have to give you anything over the minimum, which is 20 days a year.

you will have to negotiate anything more.
    most companys *do* have clauses in their contracts to add holidays the longer you stay in the company, but if it isnt there, then you will either have to do it by negotiation at some point, usually doing a pay review, or by moving.

I had to negotiate my holidays up to 25 from 20 when i started my current job.

Advertisement