Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox service - 95 euro. :(

Options
  • 20-10-2004 1:26pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

95 euro for an xbox service. (2 years old)
    Bastards.
    eeprom is fooked.
    Trouble is, i have a halo 2 save game on there and as such cant leave it in until after novermber 11th.
    Fooking bastards.

EDIT> eeprom is not the problem, further investigation states it is a DVD drive prob. From the info gathered it sounds like a loose ide cable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

then chip it!!!!!
    but if you have halo 2 on it then just reflash your chip cause you cant own an original halo 2 yet can you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Fooking bastards.

wait now if i understand this right your the one that illegaly got a game but they are the fooking bastards :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

tuxy wrote:
    wait now if i understand this right your the one that illegaly got a game but they are the fooking bastards :confused:
    it's karma :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yes, I can justify it to myself because i've shelled out more than 500 euro so far on that big black box. I get one game on the cheap and i deserve to pay 95 euro to have someone reconnect an IDE cable to the dvd drive? (that is what i think the problem is anyways)
    What happens in this scenario anyone:
    If you open an xbox you void your warranty yea? So they wont fix it for you. If your warranty is expired and you open it but it turns out its a problem that cannot be fixed by you, will xbox support service it?

tuxy wrote:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do you get more than one year warranty with an Xbox?

Yes its void if you open it but prolly already expired.

kdjac

its a one year warranty alright. but my question is, warranty or not will they touch an xbox that was opened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I wouild say yes as you are paying for it , but email them to be sure.

www.dvdireland.ie may be your best bet.

kdjac

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Wait a second, are you actually talking about sending Microsoft a big black box with an X, but also with a saved game of one of their games that's not out, and we'll forget that you probably have a mod chip on it… oh well. Interesting.

[PS don't do it!]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If you are playing Halo 2 already surely you already have a mod chip insalled and there for the seal on the xbox is already broken.

If your very careful you can remove the stickers on the bottom of the xbox to gain access to the screws using a hairdryer. They shouldn't notice if you do it right.

If your eeprom is fúcked how you think plugging in an ide cable will fix this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

i think he meant he'd copy the data off the HDD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

95 euro for an xbox service. (2 years old)
    Bastards.
    eeprom is fooked.
    Trouble is, i have a halo 2 save game on there and as such cant leave it in until after novermber 11th.
    Fooking bastards.

Where?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If it's in warranty why are you paying €95 to get it fixed ?
    If it's not then why worry about opening it ?

its not modded.
    I have a copy of halo 2 - official but not obtained 100% legally.

It hasn't been opened, i am worried about opening it because if it turns out to be something that i cant fix i may have to get it serviced. but then they might not take it since its been opened.
    Its looking increasingly like i'm going to open it, hopefully it is a loose cable or something. if not i'll have to either persuade MS to service it despite the fact its opened, or just get a new one.

Where?

The 95 euro pays for a courier to come pick it up, take it away to an undisclosed location and drop it back all shiny good as new apparently. I don't know where it actually goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If it's in warranty you wouldn't be paying for the service. They're charging you because it's out of warranty (most likely). No point in not opening it, I'm sure you can get a second hand one for a decent price even if you can't fix your own one. 95 euro is a lot to charge for a service.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    If your eeprom is fúcked how you think plugging in an ide cable will fix this?
    I actually found more info since i started the thread. the error number says something about lack of DVD I/O or no disc present. (it keeps flicking between error 11 and 12)

koneko wrote:
    If it's in warranty you wouldn't be paying for the service. They're charging you because it's out of warranty (most likely). No point in not opening it, I'm sure you can get a second hand one for a decent price even if you can't fix your own one. 95 euro is a lot to charge for a service.

I know they are charging me because it is outside of warranty. I want to know if MS service opened xboxes that are outside warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

a new one is only 150 so stop crying get a new one and copy the stuff to it via a pc or somewhat

of course they do how else they going to fix it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know they are charging me because it is outside of warranty. I want to know if MS service opened xboxes that are outside warranty
    Email them and ask them:

mailto:supxbxen@microsoft.com

"I have a problem with my XBox and I think I know how to correct it. If I cannot however, will Microsoft still service my Xbox after I have opened the case?"

Easy.

a new one is only 150 so stop crying get a new one and copy the stuff to it via a pc or somewhat

What makes you assume that 150 quid is just hanging around waiting for my xbox to break. Nice for some to just replace something that breaks. Please don't assume we all have as much spare cash as you.

Can you seriously justify spending 150 quid and going to the hassle of copying saves via 'pc or somewhat' just because an IDE cable is loose?

if microsoft wont fix it i will take a look at it for you if you want for a much smaller fee
    Pete

seamus wrote:
    Email them and ask them:

mailto:supxbxen@microsoft.com

"I have a problem with my XBox and I think I know how to correct it. If I cannot however, will Microsoft still service my Xbox after I have opened the case?"

Easy.

Thanks man..you even wrote the mail out for me, this started as what i would believe would be a simple "yes, they will service it" or "no they wont" sort of took a life of its own from there.
    Cheers,
    Shiv.

i mean id rather pay the extra 55E than pay them 95E to (most likely) do feck all with it.

but 95 euro is cheaper and retains my saves and places a warranty back on it. (warranty unconfirmed)
    150 euro is dearer without saves and same warranty.

heres another option mate they are only €80 or €90 from game stop second hand and ican get the save off your old hdd for you plus ill give you a few € for your old one if you want
    Pete

150 is a new box, and there is NO guarantee that you save games will be there when you get it back. You will prob have to sign something to that effect. + with new box you can copy the old HD data over to the new one.

i cant copy much without being able to boot the original one can i?
    which means i need to get it fixed and round in circles we go.

• Advertisement

yeah with the aid of a pc no probs add the 2 drives and copy them. There may be an easier way but thats off hand.

Advertisement