Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acid.ie REGISTRAR-HOLD ???

Options
  • 20-10-2004 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    as you may have seen in another thread, acid have seemingly vanished with my money, leaving my domain expired, i went to register it with another company, and get hosting from there too (siteground.com), but when i ran a whois on the domain it says "REGISTRAR-HOLD"

Er, how do i get my domain back?! :S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stepheno

You're going to have to wait 60 days until you can register it with a different registrar.

Thats presuming its a dot com / net

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Igy wrote:
    Hey all,
    as you may have seen in another thread, acid have seemingly vanished with my money, leaving my domain expired, i went to register it with another company, and get hosting from there too (siteground.com), but when i ran a whois on the domain it says "REGISTRAR-HOLD"
    Er, how do i get my domain back?! :S
    It means that the billing contact for the domain has not paid the bills. You may be able to recover the domain if you are the tech or registrant for the domain and can contact the registrar directly. This will probably involve a bit of tooing and froing with faxmachines and e-mail but it is the only way of getting your domain back apart from tracking down acidweb and getting them to pay or release the domain.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Well tracking Acid down has become very hard to do these days,
    The registrar is TUCOWS, INC.
    If i contact them directly, will they release the domain?

Im listed as the registrant and the administrative contact, and yes, i'ts a .com

Igy wrote:
    If i contact them directly, will they release the domain?

Im listed as the registrant and the administrative contact, and yes, i'ts a .com
    It may be possible - I think there are a few Tucows users here who could answer better than I can. However if you are registrant and admin contact, it should be possible to pay for the domain and have it released. The problem is that acidweb has not paid for the domain.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Igy wrote:
    I'm a Tucows reseller. No guarantees, but if you send the details to me <adam AT beecher DOT net> I'll look into it for you.

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    I'm a Tucows reseller. No guarantees, but if you send the details to me <adam AT beecher DOT net> I'll look into it for you.

adam
    er, Acid renewed my domain today, 1.5 weeks late almost.

i'm not a happy man...

thanks anways though, adam.

Igy wrote:
    It is still down Igy. The nameservers that are hosting it have been suspended.

Regards...jmcc

Igy wrote:

i'm not a happy man...

thanks anways though, adam.
    No worries. If JMCC is right and you're still in trouble, well, you know where I am.

adam

well i can access it now, and its accepting mail again?
    *shrugs*

Igy wrote:
    well i can access it now, and its accepting mail again?
    *shrugs*
    Strange. (if it is the thankshey.com domain) The nameservers are listed as *.acidns.com and acidns.com is dead (on Joker's not-renewed nameserver). The only thing I can think of is that some nameservers still have acidns.com's old data. It is late, and I have no coffee - better try figure this out when I am awake. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I'm afraid he's right Igy, the nameservers listed for your domain are dead and as soon as the information in DNS caches expires, your domain's going to disappear off the net. Unless Acid.ie renews the acidns.com domain name of course.

Unlikely, but when you registered the domain name did Acid.ie give you a username and password to manage it? If so you should login here asap and get the nameservers changed. Granite Canyon provides free primary and secondary name service, here's the basic DNS data you'll need (the second MX record should really have a priority of 10):
    thankshey.com. IN MX 5 mx1.turbodns.co.uk.
    thankshey.com. IN MX 5 mx2.turbodns.co.uk.
    thankshey.com. IN A 81.21.65.6
    [url="http://www.thankshey.com"]www.thankshey.com[/url]. IN CNAME thankshey.com.

If you don't have a username and password, you can try contacting OpenSRS directly and explaining that your reseller has done a bunk. Their support is generally pretty good and if you explain the DNS issue they'll understand what's going on and might have the system send the domain username and password to you.

However they'll probably ask you to transfer the domain name first. If you don't want to do that, you should explain that it's just been renewed and you don't see why you should have to pay for another year when it's their resellers responsibility to manage the domain responsibly. That being said, I think sending usernames and passwords directly is against their policy, and you're going to have to transfer it sometime anyway.

Here's general information on what to do if you can't contact your reseller.

adam

Advertisement