Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporate Tax

Options
  • 20-10-2004 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I though this was an interesting sound bite, considering the continued level of EU intervention funds in Ireland.

The State's corporate tax rate has provoked ire from some of our European Union colleagues. French finance minister, Mr Nicolas Sarkozy, said: "If Ireland was unwilling to fund its public services by levying taxes on profitable companies operating here, then it should not get handouts financed by the taxpayers in the rest of Europe".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

But if Ireland raised on corporations to European levels would the overall tax take increase or would the corporations simply find another low tax country to run their profits through.

I think this is more about Ireland getting foreign investment that other countries would like to have. The question might partly disapear if Kerry wins the US election and closes the loopholes that allow corporations to operate in this way. Then again, they could always relocate their corporate headquarters to a country that allows such activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 easyteller

I recently had an interview with a large multi-national company. During the interview i asked the director why they were shifting their operation from one european country to Ireland instead of say the far east or India, and he came straight out and said because the rate of corporation tax is so low. That was the only reason, nothing to do with high quality labour etc. It's no wonder other European countries are getting the hump when they see this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MDR wrote:
    I though this was an interesting sound bite, considering the continued level of EU intervention funds in Ireland.
    I presume you mean the Common Agricultural Policy which gives money to farmers, not the government.
    French finance minister, Mr Nicolas Sarkozy, said: "If Ireland was unwilling to fund its public services by levying taxes on profitable companies operating here, then it should not get handouts financed by the taxpayers in the rest of Europe".
    Which if we follow through, would make him very unpopular with French farmers.

Advertisement