Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online with UTV Clicksilver........

• 20-10-2004 3:41pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

.....at last!!!!

Got the modem today, hooked it all up and it actually works. Was convinced there would be another problem with it all. I have a couple of questions though.

1. I'm only getting around 160 to 220 kilobits/s download speed. We have only just been upgraded so there's no way it could be contention that causing a slower speed. I do have a monitored Alarm system. Could this reduce the speed of the connection? I originally though that if you had a monitored alarm, DSL wouldn't work without an engineer install. What is the story with this?

2. With UTV Clicksilver, should the download usage monitor in your account update all the time, or do they just add to it at the end of the day/week etc?

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

More suited to Broadband :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Usage is monitored by actual time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

so when I login to my online account manager it should tell me how much I have downloaded and it should be in realtime? I downloaded around 20 Megs earlier but logged in and it still says 0MB. Also, is there any way to find out (apart from talking to UTV) which service you're getting, ie. Clicksilver or Clicksilver Plus??? Ta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

LFCFan wrote:
    .....at last!!!!

Got the modem today, hooked it all up and it actually works. Was convinced there would be another problem with it all. I have a couple of questions though.

1. I'm only getting around 160 to 220 kilobits/s download speed. We have only just been upgraded so there's no way it could be contention that causing a slower speed.

the alarm probably isn't the quality of your copper and your distance from the exchange probably is. realistically unless you are within 500 meters of the exchange with a brand new phone line you are unlikely to get speeds in excess of 400kb/s.

From there it's a downward slide, 220 isn't too bad, but your best bet is to take a number of speed tests over a few days at different times to get a true idea of your average speed
    I do have a monitored Alarm system. Could this reduce the speed of the connection? I originally though that if you had a monitored alarm, DSL wouldn't work without an engineer install. What is the story with this?

It will work but the problem kicks in when you set your alarm, there is a possiblity that your connection won't work. Of more concern is that the fact that your alarm probably won't work. My advice, ensure that the wiring is fixed so that the alarm is routing properly out from the socket.
    2. With UTV Clicksilver, should the download usage monitor in your account update all the time, or do they just add to it at the end of the day/week etc?

It updates day on day, generally around 2 in the morning, so you won't see the figures until the following day.

Iago wrote:
    the alarm probably isn't the quality of your copper and your distance from the exchange probably is. realistically unless you are within 500 meters of the exchange with a brand new phone line you are unlikely to get speeds in excess of 400kb/s.

From there it's a downward slide, 220 isn't too bad, but your best bet is to take a number of speed tests over a few days at different times to get a true idea of your average speed

I live very close to the exchange. Around 400 Metres at most but of course it's how long the copper is that is the distance that counts. It's a new estate and the wires are underground so the line should be in good shape. I would have thought I'd get at least 350 - 450 kb/s.
    It will work but the problem kicks in when you set your alarm, there is a possiblity that your connection won't work. Of more concern is that the fact that your alarm probably won't work. My advice, ensure that the wiring is fixed so that the alarm is routing properly out from the socket.

So, should I get UTV out to do this or the Alarm company?
    It updates day on day, generally around 2 in the morning, so you won't see the figures until the following day.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

UTV should have done it as standard, technically you could sue them if anything happens, there's a guide stickied at the top of this forum on how to do it, but you're probably best calling UTV.

They will probably charge you though (around €100)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mancman

You have to have disconnected first for them to log the session. Results are available the following day after midnight or so.

UTV should have done it as standard, technically you could sue them if anything happens, there's a guide stickied at the top of this forum on how to do it, but you're probably best calling UTV.

Funniest thing I've seen on these forums to date. I'll bet O.J Simpson is glad he didn't ask you for legal advice :D

You cannot signup to UTV Clicksilver if you have a monitored alarm system. If you lie on your application then the ISP are not liable for any problems caused by your own negligence.

As for fixing the issue of the alarm system, best to call the alarm company themselves and get them to filter the line, it'll be cheaper and quicker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Iago wrote:

While speed does drop off with distance, the distances are much longer than that. 512k should be supported out to several km from the exchange without difficulty. The 512k is a throttle placed on the speed by Eircom and this is the pure line speed which doesn't take into account the overhead due to ppp which further reduces the speed. Nevertheless LCFan should still be getting over 400 on occasion when downloading from uncongested servers at non-busy periods.

mancman wrote:
    You cannot signup to UTV Clicksilver if you have a monitored alarm system. If you lie on your application then the ISP are not liable for any problems caused by your own negligence.

What application? I just clicked 'Migrate to Clicksilver' on my XL account and there was nothing in there about monitored alarm systems???

LFCFan wrote:
    What application? I just clicked 'Migrate to Clicksilver' on my XL account and there was nothing in there about monitored alarm systems???

The application you submitted was to migrate from one service to another.

I believe the migration section has the following question:
    Do you have Eircom Phone Watch on this line?
    Yes No

You answered 'No' and were able to proceed.

Am I right or am I right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mancman wrote:
    Am I right or am I right? :rolleyes:

You may be right, I can't remember. It's irrelevant anyway as I don't have Eircom Phonewatch on the line :p

LFCFan wrote:
    You may be right, I can't remember. It's irrelevant anyway as I don't have Eircom Phonewatch on the line :p

Ya might not have eircom phonewatch but surely when selecting 'No' your bound to have wondered if an alarm system with another provider may cause a problem and sought further information from UTV's support team.

If not then ah well :confused:

mancman wrote:
    Ya might not have eircom phonewatch but surely when selecting 'No' your bound to have wondered if an alarm system with another provider may cause a problem and sought further information from UTV's support team.

If not then ah well :confused:

I thought it would be a case of, get hooked up, install the spliters and modem and see if it works. If it hadn't I would have gotten on to them again to sort it out. The fact that it works fine lead me to believe that in some cases, a monitored alarm was ok. Whether the alarm is armed or not it hasn't made any difference to the connection. I will ring my alarm company on Tuesday and enquire about it and see if they can modify the setup for me or at least test it to see if the DSL affects the signal in case of a breakin.

You could test it yourself by setting off the alarm whilst online.

Should drop the connection as it acts in the same manner of using an unfiltered telephone on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,m on clicksilver with a monitored alarm and my speeds are fine LFCFAN. If your are in a house with external phone box it should be simple enought to filter all your lines using the guide stickied on this forum. If not it depends where tha larm company are taking the line from , Its its done properly the line goes to the alarm first and then on to the phone points around the house.

mancman wrote:
    You could test it yourself by setting off the alarm whilst online.

Should drop the connection as it acts in the same manner of using an unfiltered telephone on the line.

I just tried it there and set off the alarm while online. The connection wasn't affected though. Is this good or bad?

Advertisement