Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue tied!

Options
  • 20-10-2004 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Emmm ok, i have my tongue tied down to the bottom of my mouth with this cord that ive had all my life!
    Just today ive heard that its not that uncommon so i was wondering did anyone else have the same thing?Did you have it cut? and whats the pros and cons of getting it done?

Cheers in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

that's called ankyloglossia, it's basically when then lingual frenum, the webby thing which holds your tongue to the floor of your mouth is too short.
    I don't have it but I see no reason for you to get it operated on unless it's causing a speech impediment because it's a sensitive area with a large nerve bundle and it doesn't take well to stitching as it has a long healing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Well over my life it has been a hinderence so to speak!....It got caught between my teeth a number of times which is a pain in the ass and while i dont have a speach impediment really, i do believe its impeeding my speach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

You probably should ask a doctor about it and find out what technique they use. I know that the procedure use to be to cut it which is painful etc. but i think they have some new procedure now where they put a little clip on the flap to make it recede backwards which probably wouldn'ttake more than a few weeks, you'd be looking at that healing time anyway if it was cut.

Well cheers anyways, might just do that!....Seriously does my head in sometimes!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

My tounge isn't tied down or anything,
    but let me tell you, I was with this girl one night, and she actualy managed to kinda bite a bit of mine, kinda like cut a bit of it and believe me, well i was off my head at the time. but the next few days were so ****ing sore. thought the pain would never die down, took about 2 weeks, and this only a tiny bit of it that was bit and broken.. so id' say it would be a sore process

• Advertisement

Well this aint actually the tongue, its a thin cord under the tongue that holds it down!......I dunno, will find out about it anyways!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I know the cord you're on about :)
    and at the end of it,it has like 2 little balls on each site
    someone here got the bottom of that cord perced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

i had a similiar problem.The skin underneath the tounge that attaches it to the base of my mouth was attached to my tounge up as far as the tip so i couldnt stick my tounge out more than a centimetre.
    i got it cut when i was quite young (3 or 4 years old) and there were no problems.
    Itd be best to discuss your options with a doctor.

i had a similiar problem.The skin underneath the tounge that attaches it to the base of my mouth was attached to my tounge up as far as the tip so i couldnt stick my tounge out more than a centimetre.
    i got it cut when i was quite young (3 or 4 years old) and there were no problems.
    Itd be best to discuss your options with a doctor.

Thats exactly it man!.....right up to the tip of my tongue....had flipping problems with it last night, damn thing got caught between my teeth!Reckon im just gonna pay a visit to the doctor about it and see!good to hear there wasnt much problems with it!

Advertisement