Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed IP Address or Static IP Address ??

• 20-10-2004 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I was looking into getting a fixed IP address on Clicksilver so I searched on the UTV website for details and saw these 2 FAQs.

Can I get a fixed IP address?
    Yes, you can purchase one fixed IP address for €5 per month.

Can I get a Static IP address?
    No. Although this may change in the future.

Is there a difference??

Thanks in advance

Max

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I think there is probably some confusion there with purchasing a static IP address as this is the same as a Fixed Address. Basic internet connections always provide a dynamic IP address. ie. it can change everytime you connect to the internet because a DHCP server assigns you one. Fixed IP addresses are assigned to people and they basically rent that address so you have the same IP address all the time. Fixed IP addresses are only really needed if you want to host a website or something else that people connect to on your machine as opposed to you just surfing the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

some confusion indeed.

most isps provvide dynamic ips for their basic customers
    static and fixed are the same thing
    the faq probably was updated improperly

Advertisement