Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does REM stand for?

Options
  • 20-10-2004 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

REM : is it "Rather's Electronic Minstrels"?

I've heard that "What's the frequency Kenneth" is about an incident involving Dan Rather, so this is possible.

Anyone else know, or at least have ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

AFAIK it means Rapid Eye Movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Google would tell you that its Rapid Eye Movement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Rapid Eye Movement as far as I know - its a sleep disorder, which probably explains their music !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

rapid eye movement

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It stands for "Rapid Eye Movement", named after REM sleep (where your eyelids flutter as you begin to dream).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

that's the most simultaneous answers i've seen in a while.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Andip wrote:
    Rapid Eye Movement as far as I know - its a sleep disorder, which probably explains their music !!
    It's not a disorder. It's a regular stage of sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Rapid..oh..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Not only is it not a disorder, without it (according to Star Trek) we'd all go quite mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I know REM stands for rapid eye movement in the medical circle, I'm just not convinced that they chose this disorder (or not disorder..whatever) for the name of their band. I found alot of debate about it on the net.

Answers on a postcard...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

ixoy wrote:

isn't it some sort of physical reation to your dreams???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

ixoy wrote:

pologies,pologies...bow to your greater knowledge :o

Anyhoo....found this one the MTV site:

In April of 1980, the band formed to play a party for their friend, rehearsing a number of garage, psycedelic bubblegum and punk covers in an converted Episcopalian church. At the time, the group was played under the name the Twisted Kites. By the summer, the band had settled on the name R.E.M. after flipping randonmly through the dictionary, and had met Jefferson Holt, who became their manager after witnessing the group's first out-of-state concert in North Carolina.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/rem/bio.jhtml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i always thought it meant you were dreaming. no rem -> no dreaming -> no deep sleep

i love sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Andip wrote:
    By the summer, the band had settled on the name R.E.M. after flipping randonmly through the dictionary,
    QUOTE]

Well then maybe they meant it to mean the amount of ionizing radiation required to produce the same biological effect as one rad of high-penetration x-rays and not Rapid Eye Movement.

Makes you think.........

Sleipnir wrote:
    Well then maybe they meant it to mean the amount of ionizing radiation required to produce the same biological effect as one rad of high-penetration x-rays and not Rapid Eye Movement.

Ooooh, someone has a dictionary ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

now nobody really knows why but some time in the 80's news honcho Dan rather was beaten up by some lunatic who screamed the question 'whats the frequency, kenneth?' at him while kicking his ass.
    thats the story,

yeah I heard that too, then Dan Rather was the 1st to have them on tv singing the song "whats the frequency Kenneth?" Its a nice snippet to know. Just wondering if there's a similar story behind their name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

You are all wrong oh so wrong, do your research
    Radioactive Embryonic Milk (it looks like chocolate milk but there's a bite to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

sprinkles wrote:
    I've heard that "What's the frequency Kenneth" is about an incident involving Dan Rather, so this is possible.
    That happened in 1986, when Rather was assulted by William Tager. Apparently Tager thought the media were beaming hostile messages to his brain and decided that if he knew the frequency they were using he coyuld block the signals. Why he called Rather "Kenneth" is another day's work entirely as no-one seems to know. Either way REM used it as the title of that song on Monster. These days Tager is serving a 25 year sentence for killing an NBC stagehand. Rather only identified the guy in 1997ish when he was shown pictures of the chap.

Far too late to be an influence on the band name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

When you go into REM sleep, your entire body is paralyzed except your eyes, its also the main time in the night when you dream. People who sleep walk are people who can break this paralsis (sp?) and can be very dangerous. I just read a great report in focus magazine all about sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,996 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe R.E.M. is a cooler way of saying "Dreamers". Would be in keeping with Michael Stipe's way of thinking in my opinion anyway.

Advertisement