Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic -v- Donetsk

• 20-10-2004 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Celtic look like they can play some good ball across the midfield but down the wings they look a bit weak, just as well Donetsk cant cross very well thats for sure.

Mr Camara is at his usual badness, but hes worth the odd good goal so heres hoping!!

Donetsk look like they could be a decent enough side, but theyre nothin special so Celtic should do well I think it could be 1 - 0 for them.

Jackie McNamara looks like hes carrying that knock from the Barca game by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jackie McNamara has now gone off with McManus on. 4 yellow cards from the ref :eek: some of them were quite harsh IMO.

Hopefully Hartson or Camara can put away one of the numerous knockdowns from Sutton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Draupnir wrote:
    Mr Camara is at his usual badness, but hes worth the odd good goal so heres hoping!!
    This is getting beyond madness. Camara is one of the best players on the pitch and played excellent against Barca and in most of the SPL matches. Is there something in the boardsie air as thehuddleboard forum always agree with my views on his performances. He's ripping Shaktaar's defence apart with his pace and has set up 2 or 3 fabulous chances. I think people are just so biased against hm because he's not the big name signing we hoped for.

The referee is an absolute joke. Balde's booking was deserved but thats about it. Hartson got booked for heading the ball, Juninho was booked for winning a tackle and Varga was booked an average foul.

the forward players, Hartson, Camara, Petrov, Sutton and Juninho are all doing well IMO. The defenders are a bit shaky. I wasn't too disappointed to see McNamara going off, McManus is a better LB. Marsall's doing well too.

Shaktaar are 5 points ahead of the joint group leaders in Real Madrid's group and spent 50m in the summer.

I'm really annoyed at myself for not taping this match because the slating of Camara is...weird to say the least, I would have liked to see his performance again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

it could well be bias alright Eirebhoy, but i cant really see how he is playing well at all, and I also think Juninho is having a poor game.

Best Celtic players so far for me have been Balde, McManus, Sutton and Hartson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

well all i can say is, tits.

Oh dear :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

oh dear oh dear. not looking good for Celtic at all. I cant see them making the UEFA Cup at this stage. :(

well at least Mc Geady is getting 20 minutes :)

oh dear oh dear. not looking good for Celtic at all. I cant see them making the UEFA Cup at this stage. :(
    We'll win our 2 home games.

This is my last post on this thread. My TV is turned off, I can't stand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Only 10 to go looks like the result i hoped for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Only 10 to go looks like the result i hoped for

Big Shakhtar fan are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I have watched a lot of Celtic games but this one has to be one of the worst performances i have seen from them. I just felt so depressed watching the game! It just seemed that whenever Celtic got the ball, they just lumped it around the place, to no-one in particular. Saying that, they did have some good chances but i just cant stand watching football played like that. Contrast them to Shaktar - they played it on the ground, quick snappy passes, creativity, flair.

They way celtic played reminded me of shels versus depor - and thats not the level Celtic should be at. A team full of journeymen and underperformers. Sorry Eirebhoy! Im normally pro-celtic but i dont know how much more of this i can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For the love of pete what's the fcuking score ?????!!!! :eek:

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Who's Pete?

To save Eirbhoy any further pain.
    3 - 0 TO SHAKHTAR

An absolute shambles. I am not one usually for dramatics but I ever meet Dermot Desmond, I will stick his Celtic shares so far up his backside they will come out through his nose.

Enough for me, TV is now off (although it nearly went through the bay window earlier).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

dreadful.

an ageing side heading for the scrap heap. no youth=no future. too old too slow and too comfortable (everyone has no competition).

the only positive player for the future in celtic is marshall. we need to build a new side and quickly.

Im not a real Celtic supporter but watching that tonight all I could do is dispair. How can anyone support the team, it would depress anyone. I can understand MO'N after the match. I think he needs to move on to a bigger club, he has done as much as is possible with such limited resources.

Celtic look like they are "a team in decline" to quote the well used phrase. The team is too old and dont look like they have too many good players coming through.

I cant see any future manager getting more funding since O Neill can easily win the Scottish league with the limited funding that they have. They would need to be really doing well in Europe to secure funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Very disapointing. I'll start with the positives though.

1. Camara had a good game, was always battling upfront, winning balls out of nothing, got no support whatsoever though.
    2. Celtic did have scoring chances, Hartson scuppered two though :(
    3. Pretty solid for the first half, would even go as far as saying that they edged out Shaktar.

The only players that gave a good account of themselves tonight were Camara and Petrov. The new guys (McManus, McGeady and co) were barely in the game and quite frankly looked out of their depth. Hartson, Juninho (£20 million player my ass) and Lennon had especially poor games. Because of this Celtic were overrun in the centre of the park later on.

I'm afraid Martin O' Neill is in an unenviable position. An ageing squad (most of the key players of the squad are in their 30's), negligible cash to spend on replacements and no players of a UEFA Cup calibre (let alone Champions League) coming through the ranks. It's really sickening though that a club like Shakhtar are able to spend £50 million on players whereas Celtic are supposedly breaking the budget to sign two guys on free's. I don't want to hear the clapped out line about Premier League TV money either. I want to see friggin' action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

In fairness to Celtic Shaktar have intentions of winning the CL in the next few years and with the cash they have , its not beynd possibily they will make a sustained challenge every year for it.

Celtic played as well as they can just with a small squad of second rate div 1 players , its about as good as they will get in the CL. Good to see them getting thumped only have to beat shaktar/ Ac Milan at home and Barca way and they tru.

kdjac

I couldn't resist opening this thread, even though it makes me more depressed/angry.
    An absolute shambles. I am not one usually for dramatics but I ever meet Dermot Desmond, I will stick his Celtic shares so far up his backside they will come out through his nose.
    Quinn is the man those comments should be directed at.
    an ageing side heading for the scrap heap. no youth=no future. too old too slow and too comfortable (everyone has no competition).

the only positive player for the future in celtic is marshall. we need to build a new side and quickly.
    I think we have one of the best managers in the world but one of his faults is taking so much time bringing players in. I'm starting to regret we signed Juninho, a season of Wallace and McGeady developing would be a lot more beneficial. Kennedy is out for the rest of the season, he'd be first team if he didn't get injured (a clean sheet in the Bernabeu partnered with Varga). Marshall is overrated. Keepers are only remember for their mistakes and great saves therefore that is all Marshall is remembered for. People don't take note of the balls that most keepers would get to but he lets them by him.
    Im not a real Celtic supporter but watching that tonight all I could do is dispair. How can anyone support the team, it would depress anyone.
    Hey, shut it glory hunter. :p;) This is our first bad year in the CL (unless there's a dramatic turn around), we got 9 points and 7 points in our last 2 years. I still think we'll get the UEFA cup spot as long as Shaktaar don't win another match. We were never good away from home and playing 2 away's in a row is a tough one.
    no players of a UEFA Cup calibre (let alone Champions League) coming through the ranks.
    I'd swap Wallace and McGeady any day for the player who set the CL alight last year, Liam Miller.
    Celtic played as well as they can just with a small squad of second rate div 1 players , its about as good as they will get in the CL.
    Come on Kdjak, this is the reason i hate reading Celtic threads. We certainly didn't play as well as we could, we played Milan off the park for over half an hour non-stop, so consistency is the key. Your first comment is blatent trolling as I've said before, half the team has succeeded in the Prem (5 out of the 6 first choice mids/strikers) and, with the exception of Agathe, Lennon and Sutton, they're all regular internationals. It took people a year (since Swiss '03) to cop on that Kilbane doesn't play on the wing for Ireland anymore and still have bad memories, the same will be the case with Agathe. He is a quality right back. Its bad enough listening to my sister (who doesn't have clue about football) give me stick then have people trolling with the same comments every time we lose.

Roma also have no points and I think you'll all agree Celtic have the toughest group of the lot and have played only 1 home game. The only result Porto got was a draw at home to CSKA.

Why don't we get troll's in Liverpool or Arsenal threads (not directed solely at you Kdjak). I wouldn't mind if we were a succesful team as people would have reason to be happy to see them lose.

Shakhtar have played 9, won 9 in their league and are 5 points ahead of Dinamo Kiev (top of their CL group). Milan are current champions and second in Serie A while Barca are 5 points clear at the top of the la Liga. Name one 5th-10th placed premiership team (were I rate Celtic ATM) that would have a decent shot at getting anything from 2 away and one home game against those teams.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I couldn't resist opening this thread,

Shakhtar have played 9, won 9 in their league and are 5 points ahead of Dinamo Kiev (top of their CL group). Milan are current champions and second in Serie A while Barca are 5 points clear at the top of the la Liga. Name one 5th-10th placed premiership team (were I rate Celtic ATM) that would have a decent shot at getting anything from 2 away and one home game against those teams.

LOL knew you would come back, but you spot on Shaktar are owned by one of Romans Mafia mates and have bought 40 million worth of players this season , building a new 150 million stadium and have a 50 million budget for players for 3 seasons. They will be a decent side in CL as long as that cash is there behind them. Think they have a mega youth setup too which inviolves killing anyone who tries tos ign a young player.

/ me watched CL thingy on eurosport last week and shaktar were on it :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    LOL knew you would come back
    bastárd trapped me. :D;)

eirebhoy wrote:

I'd swap Wallace and McGeady any day for the player who set the CL alight last year, Liam Miller.

You cannot be serious :eek: Miller did not set the CL alight last season, he played 2 reasonably good games and scored a cracker of a goal against Anderlect. His goal against Lyon was more to do with Celtic playing as a team than Millers greatness. I was extremely angry when he turned his back on Celtic but to say you would swap 2 very promising youngsters for a promising not so youngster who is injury prone is a joke TBH.

O'Neill needs to give Wallace and McGeady a proper chance in the Celtic lineup rather than playing the likes of Lambert, Sylla and even John Hartson. Camara and Sutton should be our 1st choice strike partnership.

You cannot be serious :eek: Miller did not set the CL alight last season, he played 2 reasonably good games and scored a cracker of a goal against Anderlect. His goal against Lyon was more to do with Celtic playing as a team than Millers greatness. I was extremely angry when he turned his back on Celtic but to say you would swap 2 very promising youngsters for a promising not so youngster who is injury prone is a joke TBH.
    OK, you've got me all wrong. First of all, the "set the Cl alight" was sarcasm. Secondly, if you read the quote I replied to he said we have no younsters coming through the ranks that are even UEFA Cup quality. I said I'd swap McGeady or Wallace for Miller, in the opposite way you're think ie. I'd have Wallace or McGeady over Miller anyday (that point was unclear to be fair).

So we think the same then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

eirebhoy wrote:
    I
    This is our first bad year in the CL (unless there's a dramatic turn around), we got 9 points and 7 points in our last 2 years.

Celtic have failed to gain a single point in 8 away CL games and
    unless there is a huge turn around, they will have failed to make it past the first round 3 times out of three - this is not their first bad year in CL. Judging on what we've seen so far I'd say that they are the worst british team in the competition at the moment and a Uefa spot is by no means certain at this stage.

SCULLY wrote:
    Celtic have failed to gain a single point in 8 away CL games and
    unless there is a huge turn around, they will have failed to make it past the first round 3 times out of three - this is not their first bad year in CL. Judging on what we've seen so far I'd say that they are the worst british team in the competition at the moment and a Uefa spot is by no means certain at this stage.
    I don't think you can say that Celtic not qualifying is a bad year. The only way I can see it being a bad year in the CL is if we missed out on the UEFA cup.

I cant see Celtic getting to the UEFA Cup. Wont they have to beat donetsk by 4 goals at home or something ? I think its a bad year for Celtic in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't think you can say that Celtic not qualifying is a bad year. The only way I can see it being a bad year in the CL is if we missed out on the UEFA cup.

I think that if Celtic and it's fans aspire to being a big club (as they do), then they must set themselves a higher target than a round 1 exit from the CL and a run in Uefa cup.

I cant see Celtic getting to the UEFA Cup. Wont they have to beat donetsk by 4 goals at home or something ? I think its a bad year for Celtic in Europe.
    We have 3 games left. In my eyes we're favourites to beat Milan and Shakhtar.
    I think that if Celtic and it's fans aspire to being a big club (as they do), then they must set themselves a higher target than a round 1 exit from the CL and a run in Uefa cup.
    Unfortunately with Quinn at the helm I don't have any standards. He has already said that O'Neill will have nothing to spend in the summer. I'll eat my hat if O'Neill stays next summer with no funds, he should offer an ultimatum. Villa fans, consider yourself lucky you have Doug Ellis.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    In my eyes we're favourites to beat Milan and Shakhtar.

:eek:

Milan will win if they need to , if they dont you may scrape a draw. Thye may rest attacking players but rarley rest defenders.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Milan will win if they need to , if they dont you may scrape a draw.
    No home defeats in 3 European campaigns (incl. 6 CL matches), I can't see us losing 2 in the one campaign. Anything less than draw is a complete failure (my standards have returned :D I actually sound like Smemon :eek: ). The only CL match we didn't win at home (other than this year) was Bayern and they literally clung on for the draw. We'll have Thompson back plus Balde will be fully fit (MON said he wouldn't have started if there was backup). Sutton will most likely play up front rather than midfield and hopefully will be OK to play both halfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy would you not think of changing your sig to leave out that waste of space ? I would have much rather Pearson played instead of him (although I assume he is injured ?)

Big Ears wrote:
    eirebhoy would you not think of changing your sig to leave out that waste of space ? I would have much rather Pearson played instead of him (although I assume he is injured ?)
    Pearson isn't injured, he's just gone way way down the pecking order, he was in the last Scotland squad AFAIR. :) Juninho will come good, I've no doubt. He's an ex Brazilian player of the year, a world cup winner and has over 50 caps for Brazil. I know he's a lot older now but I don't think its his age that is affecting his form, he'll take a while to settle into the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

I couldnt watch the end of the match!....Was too painfull so switched to soaps or something!.....Turned the channel at 2-0 then i switched back and it was 3-0!What can ya do!Celtics away form in the champions is really gone bad!

Trigger! wrote:
    Celtics away form in the champions is really gone bad!
    It has always been bad. They've yet to get a point away from in the CL (8 matches in total).

• Advertisement

It is bad from a results point of view. There have been some terrific away performances and Celtic can be proud at the way they have performed in some away games (even if they did not manage to get a point). Wednesday night reminded me of the away games against Anderlect, Rosenborg and to a lesser extent Porto. They were too easily overrun and they can do a lot better than that.

We just have to break our duck in the Nou Camp :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

from a neutral soccer fan's point of view, celtic were crap and boring to watch, both in this game and vs Barcelona. They are just a poor side that aren't up to european standards tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Really?!? I hadnt noticed before!I just thought their away CL form went wayward the last couple of games!...Tis worrying though, considering they do so well at home they should be doing better in the away games!....Last night anyways they were a shadow of what they usually are!

Memnoch wrote:
    from a neutral soccer fan's point of view, celtic were crap and boring to watch, both in this game and vs Barcelona. They are just a poor side that aren't up to european standards tbh.
    hey, what is European standard? They're certainly up to UEFA cup standard.

C'mon Quinn, get the money out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Wasnt Celtics win against pats their last win away in the champions league
    I may be a little harsh at times but its only cause hating celtic is so much fun.

• Advertisement

Wasnt Celtics win against pats their last win away in the champions league
    I may be a little harsh at times but its only cause hating celtic is so much fun.
    No, they've had a few away win in qualifying. Before the Barca match this year the last time Celtic lost at home in Europe was in 2001 against Ajax, they then beat them away from home and qualified. :D

Advertisement