Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAB/DVD in Leitrim (Close to Enniskillen)

• 20-10-2004 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Yes, there are many threads similar to this on this board, and believe me, I've searched for my question. I love listening to DAB Channels on Sky, but I want an actual DAB player (and Freeview too). I get very good reception for BBC1 and ITV1, C4 and BBC2 are also excellent but not quite as good. I live very close to the border.

If I get a Freeview Box from Argo in Enniskillen, Will i be able to get ITV2, BBC3, five, FTN and other channels? My aerial said "good for freeview in moderate coverage areas".

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi Michael, welcome along. I hope you saw the DAB in Dublin thread here, as it does contain a lot how DAB is gettable in the south.

Sligo, we have had one successful report regarding DAB, getting only Score Digital from Brougher Mountain (main tx near Enniskillen) No BBC DAB from Brougher, yet. Might not be available for maybe a year or two more.

Freeview.... I'm sure our North West correspondents here will fill in the gaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michael_Preston

Hi, thanks. But the station I really want is XFM. This place is cool; I've posted on message boards before (IGN,1UP,TF.N), but never one for Ireland! I tried to contact you on AIM, but you're not online.

Although I only came here to get this question answered, I may stick around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Stick around, we are open all hours! :D And if the replies arent seen here on the boards, it maybe of some use to someone in your area in the months to come.

XFM is not on DAB from the North, nor is it on Freeview ( http://www.freeview.co.uk/whatson/radio.html ), so thats a non-runner. It is on Sky, as you know, channel 864.

As I said, check back, we'll get some replies :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, there are many threads similar to this on this board, and believe me, I've searched for my question. I love listening to DAB Channels on Sky, but I want an actual DAB player (and Freeview too). I get very good reception for BBC1 and ITV1, C4 and BBC2 are also excellent but not quite as good. I live very close to the border.

If I get a Freeview Box from Argo in Enniskillen, Will i be able to get ITV2, BBC3, five, FTN and other channels? My aerial said "good for freeview in moderate coverage areas".

Any help would be great.
    Hello, do you use amplification for your signals? By which, I mean a Masthead Amplifier. Also, what kind of aerial is it? I would think that Freeview should work, though if some freqs are dodgy, there is a slight chance that the QAM64 Muxes (ITV, five, etc) would be harder to pick up properly. But having said that, I know of a few with kinda weak pictures (wee bit grainy) and they pick up all muxes no problem.

As for DAB, i'm not familiar of anyone nearby with DAB (I'm in south Donegal) but if you're pretty close to Enniskillen, you're in with a chance! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

byte wrote:
    Hello, do you use amplification for your signals? By which, I mean a Masthead Amplifier. Also, what kind of aerial is it? I would think that Freeview should work, though if some freqs are dodgy, there is a slight chance that the QAM64 Muxes (ITV, five, etc) would be harder to pick up properly. But having said that, I know of a few with kinda weak pictures (wee bit grainy) and they pick up all muxes no problem.
    Can vouch for that - my analogue 1-4 aren't perfect with a bit of grain (esp 4) but all DTT Multiplexes from Brougher come in for me no problem. Multiplex 1 (Carrying BBC1, BBC2, BBC News24 & BBC3/CBBC) is generally regarded as the strongest received from Brougher while Multiplex 2 (UTV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV News, Channel 4) is reckoned to be the trickiest to obtain.

If you want to get a STB at Argos, for fringe areas the best they currently sell is the Echostar receiver which is up there with the Setpals for tuner sensitivity but be warned - they are not 8K compatible which would mean they would be of no use of the southern Irish services whenever they start up.

I don't have too much interest in DAB here at the moment; there isn't the same range as there is in Britain IMO to justify looking at it & all bar two of the stations there I can receive on FM or Freeview anyway.

Nevertheless, by the sounds of your location DTT & DAB from Brougher Mt. sounds possible but remember one thing about Argos - their DTT boxes are excluded from the 16 day money back policy. If you know anyone with a receiver, beg or borrow one to try first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I live right on the fermanagh\monaghan border, last week i upgraded the tv aerial cos it was over 20 years old and reception wasnt great !
    The new aerial is a Triax Unix 100 A, channel 21-37 was written on the box.............dunno what this means !?
    Anyway the guy who installed it pointed it towards Divis and we get near perfect reception on BBC 1 & 2, UTV & Ch4. We are also getting Five but it is very rarely watchable. After he left i tried plugging in an Echostar freeview box, the only Mux i could pull in was Mux D !
    Can anyone here tell me how many muxes i would get if i pointed the aerial to Brougher !? Anyone else from my area doing this already ? What is the reception like on the Musxes you recieve ?

Advertisement