Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax

Options
  • 20-10-2004 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

hi
    my motor tax is due for renewal (boo!) but i am planning to sell the car during the year - am i right in assuming that I would NOT be able to get a refund of the motor tax unexpired at time of sale? If so I guess you'd factor in the unexpired part into the sale price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

yeah, is usually put on ad "taxed until 07/05" is a selling bonus,personally have not tried to recoup the tax value, not sure if you can get money back from dept of enviro but would think its not possible. use it as a sales extra, look at other ads of similar cars about and get market price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

my tax is up next month on the scooter , if you dont go to the tax office to pay it , whats the story?i never had to pay it twice for the same bike dut to not having em for over a year , what do you actually have to send to the tax office?do i need to get a form or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

normally you will get a notice in the post about your tax being due for renewal and all your details on it, you just gotta say how long you wanna tax it for and bring it to the tax office, or you can send it to the address on the form, usually the local tax office and they will send you out a disk. easier to just call into tax office with everything you need and then walk out with the disk in hand :)

as for mobpd, as Fabritzo said you could tax it for 3 months 6 months or 12 months, might make it easier to sell the car with a few months still left on the tax disk but up to you in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clarkee

It is a little know fact that you CAN by law transfer across your paid car tax to another car, providing all the paperwork is correct and you make up the difference if there is any!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Eye wrote:
    normally you will get a notice in the post about your tax being due for renewal and all your details on it, you just gotta say how long you wanna tax it for and bring it to the tax office, or you can send it to the address on the form, usually the local tax office and they will send you out a disk. easier to just call into tax office with everything you need and then walk out with the disk in hand :)

Don't forget you can pay it online now (not certain if it's the same for scooters/motor bikes though)....VERY handy! When you get your renewal form, you're also given a code you can enter on the site and pay the tax via credit card, the disc is then posted out to you. No more queuing in the stinking motor tax office and none of the risky business involved in sending your log book though the Irish postal service where things have a habit of 'vanishing' :rolleyes:

http://www.motortax.ie

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

clarkee wrote:
    It is a little know fact that you CAN by law transfer across your paid car tax to another car, providing all the paperwork is correct and you make up the difference if there is any!
    Not as far as I am aware. Please explain the procedure.

thanks guys

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bond-007 wrote:
    Not as far as I am aware. Please explain the procedure.
    See http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/Motor%20Tax?OpenDocument&Lang=en#Link8
    REFUNDS OF MOTOR TAX
    IMPORTANT:Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.
    Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to you local motor tax office, on form RF120, in circumstances when,
    * The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the state,
    * The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    * A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injuiry or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

I can't see a copy of RF120 online though!

edit:- This is incorrectly for a refund rather than a transfer but I assume the procedure is similar.

my disc says 11/04 does that mean i gota renew it end of this month or end of next month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    * A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc,

So all of the above means you DON'T qualify for a refund if you have taxed the car for a year and driven it for just a week after you got the disc (the issue of the disc)

Unless in you qualify for the exceptional circumstances, there's no refund! (or transfer)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

clarkee wrote:

No, you can't!

Motor tax is specific to each vehicle and payable by the registered owner at the time it falls due.

It's not transferable to another vehicle under ANY circumstances!

If you sell a vehicle that's already taxed, the tax disk stays with the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    my disc says 11/04 does that mean i gota renew it end of this month or end of next month?

It means it runs out on the last day of November.

You then have 1 month to renew it before you become liable for arrears i.e. If you renew it on, say, the 30th. December, you tax disk will start from the beginning of the month of December and end 3,6, or 12 months later. However, if you taxed it during January, you'd have to pay arrears for December and thenm tax if from the start of January for 3,6,or 12 months.

See! - Easy peasy! :D

Advertisement