Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AXA insurance quote

Options
  • 20-10-2004 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everybody. Just looking for your opinions here. Im into motorbikes in a big way! At the moment im looking at maybe getting insured on my mum's car aswell. I will never ever give up my bike but i would like to get insured on the car aswell.

I have a full A motorbike licence and have been driving for 3 and a half years claim and crash free (touch wood :p !). [snipped].

My mum has a 99 3 door civic. She is insured with AXA at the moment. They quoted me as a named driver today. They wanted €1200 to put me on the policy for a year. Now i didnt think that was TOO bad, but i dont know much about car insurance to be honest. But the catch is that they want me to prove i have taken at least 10 driving lessons before they will insure me!!!! What does everybody think of this? And the quote? Is it high or low or average?

My mum's insurance is up in the next few days so she said she will ring around and get quotes from a few different company's for the both of us on the policy. The guy from AXA asked her if she had got quotes from any other companys, then he gave her the quote, so at the looks of it if i find a cheaper quote he may bring it down a bit! I hope!!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

the quote doesnt seem too bad as you say, insurance companies just love the combination of a civic and under 25 y.o male so either way your gonna get screwed, the quote would have depended on several other things such as your mother's claim history and how long she has been insured with AXA, if she has been with them for a few years then you're in a better negotiating position to haggle a bit in the price but the most important thing is to shop around for quotes as there can be a big difference in quotes as many people on here will testify

The thing about the 10 lessons thing is standard with AXA, some others require 3 lessons, most dont ask for any, it depends on the individual company but you should factor that into the price of the quote aswell as 10 lessons at ~€30 adds €300(while it may be worthwhile dunno how much previous car driving experience you have) onto the cost of you getting insured
    good luck with it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

To be honest, i have never driven a car and i was going to get a few lessons to get used to driving a car. As i said, ive been on the road for 3 and a half years and i know all the rules of the road etc. I was going to get a few lessons but i dont wont to be forced into 10 lessons if i dont need them.

My mum hasnt claimed off them ever and she has been with them for a long time. Think she said something along the lines of 12 years but she wasnt sure.

I know exactly what you mean about the image a civic portrays, but my dad has a civic aswell so it wouldnt even be cheaper on his car. And with my mums car i could use a hell of a lot more than my dads if i needed it. I know the quote isnt too bad, but including the lessons its going to cost a grand and a half. I was hoping more long the lines of €800-€1000 :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BrynW wrote:
    As i said, ive been on the road for 3 and a half years and i know all the rules of the road etc.
    You'll be the first moped rider Ive come across who does then :D
    BrynW wrote:
    My mum hasnt claimed off them ever and she has been with them for a long time. Think she said something along the lines of 12 years but she wasnt sure.
    Remember though, if you have a claim put n against you, she loses her NCB!
    BrynW wrote:
    I was hoping more long the lines of €800-€1000 :confused:
    Dream on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Who said i drive a moped!? I dont, i used to a few years ago but i dont anymore!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

oops - reading two threads at once isn't a good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Briyn : I had my yamaha virago insured with hibernian and when I bought a civic they said I would get a discount on the lower insurance premium (which was the bike) if I insured both with them , which I did. Then when I bought my moped that was thrown onto the policy for a very low sum (around 100 pounds if memory is correct) .

So having multiple policies worked with them , but the best advise is to shop around and play them off each other, Hope this helps.

Oh and print out a certificate saying you've had 10 lessons from Acme school of driving , paint.exe located near c:\windows\paint.exe should be able to help with that , goodluckski

Fionn

Advertisement