Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I think how bad Oilgate will be will depend on how they tie the end of the motorway into the main road. At Clogh the motorway ends with a roundabout (where you yield to traffic from the old N11) that slows traffic and you then have a few kms to adjust before hitting Camolin.

The E'Corthy bypass is ending only 1km from Oilgate and if it's a freeflow type junction I think it could end up being closer to how the end of the motorway at Rathnew/Beehive was rather than Clogh/Camolin. With lower traffic volumes obviously.

In AADT terms there isn't as big a drop off in numbers south of Enniscorthy as people seem to be suggesting - 14.3k to 12.5k in 2014 - according to the NRA. Anecdotally, an awful lot of traffic from south Wexford heading north uses the R741 as far as J23 at the moment - I would imagine a good chunk of that will divert to the motorway once it's available and there'll be a big increase in traffic through Oilgate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Interesting bit of news here.
    http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/CorporateServices/News/Name,26348,en.html
    Wexford County Council has engaged Arup Consulting Engineers to complete the design of the proposed N25 access road to Rosslare Harbour Europort.

The contract for the detailed design of this major road scheme, signed on Wednesday of last week by Wexford County Council and Arup, brings the construction of another hugely important section of County Wexford’s national road infrastructure significantly closer to realisation.

The new access route, which is expected to cost in excess of €10 million, is approximately 1.8km in length and includes three roundabouts and a number of at-grade junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

jd wrote: »

I saw something recently about some European directive stipulating that all main ports must be accessed by motorway? But this sounds like dualler....with roundabouts....

I stand to be corrected on the exact details!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This sounds like the very last bit of the full scheme in the thread title. Not sure of the context, maybe the CoCo is just designing that bit and the NRA the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    I saw something recently about some European directive stipulating that all main ports must be accessed by motorway? But this sounds like dualler....with roundabouts....

I stand to be corrected on the exact details!

Not specifically motorway, but TEN-T compliant roads. Which I can't find the specs for.

Larne's E01/A8 was upgraded to TEN-T status and still has roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Will the recently suggested Oilgate bypass follow the initial selected route of this scheme or is it back to the drawing board?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    Not specifically motorway, but TEN-T compliant roads. Which I can't find the specs for.

Larne's E01/A8 was upgraded to TEN-T status and still has roundabouts.

Surprising it was compliant.. Roundabouts, LILOs and median crossings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The County Council are in discussion with the National Transport Authority to have the bypass extended beyond Oylgate I see on the Guardian.

kneemos wrote: »
    The County Council are in discussion with the National Transport Authority to have the bypass extended beyond Oylgate I see on the Guardian.

http://enniscorthyguardian.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/iphone/homepage.aspx#_articlefe24bb90-e60b-4b42-b77a-689e045c7506/waarticlefe24bb90-e60b-4b42-b77a-689e045c7506/fe24bb90-e60b-4b42-b77a-689e045c7506/0/true

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This would be grade A1 nonsense if it goes ahead.

Oilgate will not have Enniscorthy like issues, far from it, it is not as conducive to jams as Enniscorthy is. Oilgate will be no worse than Camolin at present, better in fact given the lesser volumes of traffic.

Oilgate will be properly bypassed by the N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour scheme. Let them do that and get it done right for once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

marno21 wrote: »

Oilgate will not have Enniscorthy like issues, far from it, it is not as conducive to jams as Enniscorthy is. Oilgate will be no worse than Camolin at present, better in fact given the lesser volumes of traffic.

Oilgate will be properly bypassed by the N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour scheme. Let them do that and get it done right for once and for all.

And when do you imagine this will this be built...40 years after the next recession?

Probably not jams but the volume of traffic could be a problem. It will inevitably attract a lot of traffic that currently use other routes to avoid Enniscorthy.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    And when do you imagine this will this be built...40 years after the next recession?

This scheme is one of the schemes TII would like to progress as a pipeline scheme, so if progressed it would be ready to go around the same time as the M11 Oilgate bypass would be

The Oilgate to Rosslare scheme runs from Rosslare to where the new Enniscorthy by pass will end. This proposed Oylegate by pass scheme is essentially fast tracking some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shops in Oylegate worrying about losing business,99% of the business is from local trade.The passing traffic tends not to stop.10 minutes to Enniscorthy headed north and 10 minutes to Wexford headed South.

This scheme is one of the schemes TII would like to progress as a pipeline scheme, so if progressed it would be ready to go around the same time as the M11 Oilgate bypass would be

Four or five hundred cars and a bit of freight traffic five or six times a day coming from the harbour would probably make it the least busy motorway in Europe

Probably not jams but the volume of traffic could be a problem. It will inevitably attract a lot of traffic that currently use other routes to avoid Enniscorthy.

That's true, but given that there's currently no major junction/traffic diluter south of Oilgate it'll just move the traffic jam to the roundabout on the Wexford bypass.
    The Oilgate to Rosslare scheme runs from Rosslare to where the new Enniscorthy by pass will end. This proposed Oylegate by pass scheme is essentially fast tracking some of it.

Yes, but I'd doubt that the planned route (which hasn't been decided yet) for the Oilgate to Rosslare scheme involves a C route around Oilgate to tie in with the N11 south of Oilgate.
    Four or five hundred cars and a bit of freight traffic five or six times a day coming from the harbour would probably make it the least busy motorway in Europe

AADTs north of Wexford town are around 15k-17k. Its definitely a project worth progressing in the medium term.

Yes, but I'd doubt that the planned route (which hasn't been decided yet) for the Oilgate to Rosslare scheme involves a C route around Oilgate to tie in with the N11 south of Oilgate.

The route corridor was selected - it's about 300 meters wide I think.

zerks wrote: »
    Shops in Oylegate worrying about losing business,99% of the business is from local trade.The passing traffic tends not to stop.10 minutes to Enniscorthy headed north and 10 minutes to Wexford headed South.

There's a shop and what looks like a crappy chipper. Who the hell stops in Oylgate?

There's a shop and what looks like a crappy chipper. Who the hell stops in Oylgate?
    PJ's is a great chipper. The by pass might help business - sometimes it's too busy to take a right turn in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Shades of the Enfield bypass here.

PJ's is a great chipper. The by pass might help business - sometimes it's too busy to take a right turn in.

Apologies to PJ. I was judging it from the last and only time I was in it and got a curry chip full of broken bones and grissle. It was under different management then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

zerks wrote: »

In fairness lots stop at that gala shop and pjs diner, truckers etc the pubs won't lose out as no passing trade for them

The route corridor was selected - it's about 300 meters wide I think.

Correct, it's already decided upon

Agreed, not many places in Ireland still dipping the fish into homemade batter right in front of your eyes ;) :cool:

This scheme has been reactivated by TII and will receive a €25k allocation in 2018.

Will likely form part of the new Capital Plan. The part from the end of the Enniscorthy bypass to Wexford will likely be motorway and the rest 2+2

This scheme has been reactivated by TII and will receive a €25k allocation in 2018.

Will likely form part of the new Capital Plan. The part from the end of the Enniscorthy bypass to Wexford will likely be motorway and the rest 2+2

Million or thousand?

Also what a waste of money not to do it all together.

Million or thousand?

Also what a waste of money not to do it all together.

Thousand, 25,000.

Money is simply to reactivate planning

It'll all be done together, planning wise at least anyway. The standard drops south of Wexford as the traffic volumes drop south of Wexford.

Thousand, 25,000.

Money is simply to reactivate planning

It'll all be done together, planning wise at least anyway. The standard drops south of Wexford as the traffic volumes drop south of Wexford.

Where’s this info from cheers?

• Advertisement

Advertisement