Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

marno21 wrote: »
    This scheme has been reactivated by TII and will receive a €25k allocation in 2018.

Will likely form part of the new Capital Plan. The part from the end of the Enniscorthy bypass to Wexford will likely be motorway and the rest 2+2

Yes, I was thinking Motorway and new interchange from New Ross Road roundabout. Quite a bit of the remaining Wexford By-pass could be retrofitted to 2+2, and then a new 2+2 To Rosslare Europort

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The part from the end of the Enniscorthy bypass to Wexford will likely be motorway and the rest 2+2
    This project used be specced as entirely DC. Why do you think there'll be a motorway element?
    Very good news if true.

spacetweek wrote: »
    This project used be specced as entirely DC. Why do you think there'll be a motorway element?
    Very good news if true.

Below from preferred route corridor was selected.
    There will be a new bridge up stream of Ferrycarrig, and definitely new carriageways between Oylegate and New Ross Roundabout.
    https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/sites/default/files/content/roads/Preferred%20Route%20Corridor%20Maps.pdf
    Insofar as a Type 1 Dual Carriageway is intended for the proposed M11. Gorey to Enniscorthy scheme, the upgrade of the N11 and N25 between Oilgate and Rosslare Europort will consider route consistency throughout the Route Selection and Design phases, with an appropriate cross-section selected at Phase 3 Design.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Very good news if true.
    TII applied for permission to begin work on a 6km M11 Scurlocksbush-South of Oilgate scheme, which wasn't approved to begin but this bigger project was instead. The above was purely political but it did get further than most political talk does.

In 2018, I'd expect work to be done on how much of the previously done stuff can be used now. If it all can, we can move to the design stage in 2019, if funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good chance of motorway to Rosslare then?

Would look very Irish on the map if it wasn't!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Likely at this stage to be motorway to Wexford by the time it gets built.

Motorway to Rosslare would make sense given it's only another 20km or so

Then they can get to work removing the last stretch of N11 between Bray and Ashford

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Likely at this stage to be motorway to Wexford by the time it gets built.

Motorway to Rosslare would make sense given it's only another 20km or so

Then they can get to work removing the last stretch of N11 between Bray and Ashford
    Are traffic levels justifying motorway all the way to Rosslare? 2x2  without h hard shoulder could suffice. Of course if motorway is not much more expensive then go ahead ,but if the price difference is "make or break" then there is no real need for full specs motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What does 'Irish on the map' even mean

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

If you knew the area around Rosslare you would quickly realise that a motorway would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

NedNew2 wrote: »
    If you knew the area around Rosslare you would quickly realise that a motorway would be ridiculous.

If they got past Wexford it'd be a bonus, traffic is chronic on the ring road these days during rush hour and when the ferries are in.
    The stupid road realignment that has been done at Kyle Cross and Ferrycarrig would be a thing of the past too. Who in their right mind narrows the hard shoulder and does away with the filter lane causing traffic to go from 100kph to almost a complete stop because someone wants to turn off whereas before they could just move into the lane to use the junction and the traffic on the main carraigeway continued on as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

The road ‘improvements’ carried out on Kyle Cross are literally an accident waiting to happen. Travel this section of road four times a day for the past 20 years and more near misses in the last month than ever. Winter and wet roads are going to cause major issues. Traffic calmed by narrowing the road while keeping the same speed limit. No room to decrease speed leaving N11 or build up pace to enter a 100kph road. Traffic turning left north or southbound slowing to 20kph to make the sharper 90degree turn and an accordion effect of braking going on behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Read some somewhere Wexford Co Co have received 50,000 for the next stage of the Oilgate to Rosslare road. Planning or whatever presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MichealD wrote: »
    The road ‘improvements’ carried out on Kyle Cross are literally an accident waiting to happen. Travel this section of road four times a day for the past 20 years and more near misses in the last month than ever. Winter and wet roads are going to cause major issues. Traffic calmed by narrowing the road while keeping the same speed limit. No room to decrease speed leaving N11 or build up pace to enter a 100kph road. Traffic turning left north or southbound slowing to 20kph to make the sharper 90degree turn and an accordion effect of braking going on behind them.

100% agree, what bright spark thought that was a good idea. Worse now than ever:rolleyes: they should just have put left turn off lanes into the area, tonnes of space to do that.

A pal of mine was map alerted this last week sometime “
    N11 Ferrycarrig to Kyle Pavement Scheme Starting Wednesday the 12th for 13 weeks. Initial works to include survey and drainage works. Pavement Works to follow.“

They are hardly putting in pavements, as in footpaths, from Kyle cross to fertycarrig? What a waste of cash if so, there is nothing wrong with that Road last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vicwatson wrote: »
    100% agree, what bright spark thought that was a good idea. Worse now than ever:rolleyes: they should just have put left turn off lanes into the area, tonnes of space to do that.

A pal of mine was map alerted this last week sometime “
    N11 Ferrycarrig to Kyle Pavement Scheme Starting Wednesday the 12th for 13 weeks. Initial works to include survey and drainage works. Pavement Works to follow.“

They are hardly putting in pavements, as in footpaths, from Kyle cross to fertycarrig? What a waste of cash if so, there is nothing wrong with that Road last time I was there.

"Pavement works" usually refers to the road surface.

kneemos wrote: »
    Read some somewhere Wexford Co Co have received 50,000 for the next stage of the Oilgate to Rosslare road. Planning or whatever presumably.

Pre appraisal in 2018. Should start design and planning in 2019

13 weeks of works??

Spending what's left of the budget before year end.
    Wexford Co.Co. did that before at Scarawalsh,tarred over a nearly new surface near the end of the year just to fulfill their budget .
    Thankfully they aren't the ones building new roads.

13 weeks of works??

Spending what's left of the budget before year end.
    Wexford Co.Co. did that before at Scarawalsh,tarred over a nearly new surface near the end of the year just to fulfill their budget .
    Thankfully they aren't the ones building new roads.

They spent 2.5 million of our money last year on a section of the n25 towards rosslare, in all my years of traveling there I never saw the problem. Don’t know why we put up with it.

vicwatson wrote: »
    They spent 2.5 million of our money last year on a section of the n25 towards rosslare, in all my years of traveling there I never saw the problem. Don’t know why we put up with it.

Is that the bit that they tarred over again this summer where they built a new roundabout?

From today's Wexford People. I've been part of tailbacks myself. Maybe some type of free flow for left turning traffic would help in the short/medium term
    A SENIOR Council official has accepted that Wexford town’s ring road roundabouts are straining to cope with an increase in traffic and said a plan will have to be put in place to resolve the problem.

Cllr. Lawlor re-iterated the call for measures to improve traffic flow at the Duncannon and New Ross Road roundabouts telling the local authority that the situation is now dangerous as people are turning one lane into two lanes in order to overtake the long tailbacks at peak hours. ‘This is absolutely necessary’, insisted.

Deputy Chief Executive Tony Larkin said it’s obvious that the ring roads are experiencing over capacity. ‘It seems to me that the traffic build-up is only increasing and plans will have to be put in place to resolve it. I agree we need to move forward with a plan to address it’, he said. Cllr. McDonald said people are breaking the law in trying to get to their destinations on time. ‘Can we provide a time frame on this’, she asked.

‘There is no easy solution here’, replied Mr. Larkin. ‘Any solution will involve major engineering and it will cost money’.

Is that the bit that they tarred over again this summer where they built a new roundabout?

Think between rosslare roundabout and almost to killinick

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    From today's Wexford People. I've been part of tailbacks myself. Maybe some type of free flow for left turning traffic would help in the short/medium term

Agreed though they have plenty of space to create a new Ross destination only lane at that roundabout

They could also do with a gardai there every evening to stop people using the right turn lanes for going straight, a couple of weeks and the word gets round will sort that aspect of the problem out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Take a look at the Kilkenny ring road round abouts. They are as good as roundabouts can be with all traffic allowed to proceed forward in both lanes and two lanes joining and exiting. Traffic flows relatively well most of the time. Wexford ones are too narrow and restrictive

Latest on the scheme

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/oylegate-to-rosslare-motorway-vital-with-brexit-on-the-horizon-37422545.html

Wexford Council seem to think they can progress the work completed earlier in the decade as part of this - which would be wonderful if true.

However,
    Director of Services for Roads Eamonn Hore said it has been stressed to Transport Infrastructure Ireland that the county is not getting its fair share.

This coming from the county in which 66% of motorway projects started in the last 5 years are being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Latest on the scheme

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/oylegate-to-rosslare-motorway-vital-with-brexit-on-the-horizon-37422545.html

Wexford Council seem to think they can progress the work completed earlier in the decade as part of this - which would be wonderful if true.

However,

This coming from the county in which 66% of motorway projects started in the last 5 years are being built.

Sounds like long term rather than short term if it ever happens.
    Is there even that much traffic below Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wexford has always gotten a pretty good deal roads wise mainly because of the port and EU finding. Certainly far better than neighboring Kilkenny where I now live for example- In the 80/90s money was poured into the N11, N80, N30 and N25. Especially in context of the traffic figures which aren’t at critical levels compared to some other roads around.
    Once the New Ross and Enniscorthy bypasses are done then the critical list is checked in co Wexford. The N11/25 south of Wexford town is not busy and is of a very reasonable standard- the Wexford bypsss itself needs attention as roundabout and junction improvements but building a whole new road? Dozens of more critical projects need funding ahead of it in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

road_high wrote: »
    Wexford has always gotten a pretty good deal roads wise mainly because of the port and EU finding. Certainly far better than neighboring Kilkenny where I now live for example- In the 80/90s money was poured into the N11, N80, N30 and N25. Especially in context of the traffic figures which aren’t at critical levels compared to some other roads around.
    Once the New Ross and Enniscorthy bypasses are done then the critical list is checked in co Wexford. The N11/25 south of Wexford town is not busy and is of a very reasonable standard- the Wexford bypsss itself needs attention as roundabout and junction improvements but building a whole new road? Dozens of more critical projects need funding ahead of it in my opinion

Not least the upgrading of the 'N11 gap' to three lanes motorway standard.

That piece is poorly written.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It is, but it was a bit of a stupid oversight to end the motorway about 2km north of Oilgate, no matter what way you look at it. Now, there will be another town further south that would whinge if the 2km extension had happened, but it wouldn't be as close as Oilgate is to the end as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Phases 1 to 4 out to tender for this scheme

Superb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Thanks. What does that mean?

Advertisement