Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Taking the scheme from Phase 1 - Concept Feasibility through to Phase 2 Route selction, Phase 3 Design and Phase 4 Statutory Process

http://www.tiipublications.ie/library/PE-PMG-02041-01.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Taking the scheme from Phase 1 - Concept Feasibility through to Phase 2 Route selction, Phase 3 Design and Phase 4 Statutory Process

http://www.tiipublications.ie/library/PE-PMG-02041-01.pdf

Thank you - wouldn’t some of this have been previously completed? Can they re-use & apply that work?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

PoolDude wrote: »
    Thank you - wouldn’t some of this have been previously completed? Can they re-use & apply that work?

Unfortunately not - all that work has to be redone for these schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

That's great, so we have this section and the N11 Bray - Coynes Cross funded up to phase 4!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »

Has there been any confirmation of the standard to which this will be built?

My ideal would be M11 to the N11/N25 roundabout west of Wexford and dual south of that, but with the Wexford roundabouts grade-separated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmation of the standard to which this will be built?

My ideal would be M11 to the N11/N25 roundabout west of Wexford and dual south of that, but with the Wexford roundabouts grade-separated.

No confirmation yet I'm afraid way too early for that. But I'd agree that your proposal won't be far from what will be proposed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

kneemos wrote: »
    Another blockade apparently.

https://www.southeastradio.ie/2019/05/day-3-of-enniscorthy-bypass-blockade-underway-over-water-runoff-dispute/

The contracts for the design of the Oylgate bypass are to be signed next week also.

Do you know (or does anyone know?) if the Oylgate by-pass will be a 2+2, D2, motorway or just a wide S2?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Do you know (or does anyone know?) if the Oylgate by-pass will be a 2+2, D2, motorway or just a wide S2?

It's far too early to tell

If I were to bet on it it'll be motorway to Wexford and 2+2 from there to Rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doesn't say in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

kneemos wrote: »

Doesn't say in the article.

It'll be at least a DC. Possibly Motorway as far as Wexford.

Wide SC isn't used anymore.

• Advertisement

It'll be at least a DC. Possibly Motorway as far as Wexford.

Wide SC isn't used anymore.
    Indeed it'll be definitely dual. The existing route is S2 with shoulders so an offline S2 would make little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why is that? If a route selection corridor was already made?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why is that? If a route selection corridor was already made?

All of the schemes that were suspended in 2011 are restarting from scratch - due to changes in the appraisal requirements under the Public Spending Code afaik

Seems like more cash for nothing, surveys etc etc etc that were already paid for Will now be tendered and have to be paid for again

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Motts have picked this up again

Motts have picked this up again
    Groundhog day in their offices.

Groundhog day in their offices.

Rinse, repeat, money for Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Engineering consultants we're appointed today, it'll be three years at best though before it gets through planning stage.
    Nobody hold their breath.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2019/05/16/e800000-for-n11-n25-from-oylegate-to-rosslare/

A timeline. Wonderful

Initial public consultation - end 2019
    Routes public consultation - 2020
    ABP submission - 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

What ever about the eventual construction of this complete project I wonder if the section that will replace/improve the current N25/Wexford bypass will be accelerated?

I'm not sure the road from the N11/N25 Enniscorthy/New Ross Roundabout to the N25 Rosslare road roundabout can wait that long to be improved. Currently takes about 25 mins at peak time each evening to travel the less than 6km stretch northbound. With the Rosslare sailings arriving/departing close to these peak times the busy summer sailings can mean tailbacks for the length of the bypass.

Its getting more dangerous with the single lane + hard shoulder being turned into an unofficial dual carriageway on approach to roundabouts, no space left for commuting cyclists and u turns by cars trying to find alternative rat runs.

• Advertisement

MichealD wrote: »
    What ever about the eventual construction of this complete project I wonder if the section that will replace/improve the current N25/Wexford bypass will be accelerated?

I'm not sure the road from the N11/N25 Enniscorthy/New Ross Roundabout to the N25 Rosslare road roundabout can wait that long to be improved. Currently takes about 25 mins at peak time each evening to travel the less than 6km stretch northbound. With the Rosslare sailings arriving/departing close to these peak times the busy summer sailings can mean tailbacks for the length of the bypass.

Its getting more dangerous with the single lane + hard shoulder being turned into an unofficial dual carriageway on approach to roundabouts, no space left for commuting cyclists and u turns by cars trying to find alternative rat runs.
    It really depends.

This scheme is one of the first in the pipeline schemes in the NDP which are to be advanced through planning and design between now and 2022. There has been no commitments made to what happens after 2022, no commitments as to how many of these schemes or whether they will be divided up into phases or not.

If they are to phase these schemes it wouldn't surprise me if Oilgate-Wexford South was prioritised, after all Wexford-Rosslare is significantly quieter than the rest.

If they are to phase these schemes it wouldn't surprise me if Oilgate-Wexford South was prioritised, after all Wexford-Rosslare is significantly quieter than the rest.

Agree with this. As a daily user of this road I cannot see the justification for a dual carriage way below Wexford. The current road is a good quality wide single carriageway albeit with multiple side road junctions. Completion of the long proposed access road from Rosslare Harbour to north of that village would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

A timeline. Wonderful

Initial public consultation - end 2019
    Routes public consultation - 2020
    ABP submission - 2022

Award of Tender - 2023?
    Road Open - 2026?

The Government are great at telling us all the good work that they are planning to do!

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    Award of Tender - 2023?
    Road Open - 2026?

The Government are great at telling us all the good work that they are planning to do!
    I would say 2024/2027 more likely but this scheme is now the leader of the pack so if there are a lack of other schemes with planning this will get priority.

FYI, maps of the 2011 route are here (300m wide corridor): https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/roads-travel-and-parking/national-roads-projects/n11n25-oilgate-rosslare-harbour/maps

The Wexford bypass will presumably be included again so the route will likely be similar to the 2011 route. The section south of Wexford town is a cul de sac also so will likely follow the same route into Rosslare Europort.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Apologies as this is a bit of a hatchet job...

Out of curiosity (and boredom) I stitched the maps together and overlayed them onto a google maps screen-grab.
    They're not lined up perfectly, but you get the idea.

I would say 2024/2027 more likely but this scheme is now the leader of the pack so if there are a lack of other schemes with planning this will get priority.

FYI, maps of the 2011 route are here (300m wide corridor): https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/roads-travel-and-parking/national-roads-projects/n11n25-oilgate-rosslare-harbour/maps

The Wexford bypass will presumably be included again so the route will likely be similar to the 2011 route. The section south of Wexford town is a cul de sac also so will likely follow the same route into Rosslare Europort.

Haven't looked at those maps in a long time!

Its a pointless exercise looking back, and I know there were budgetary constraints at the time it was signed off, but when you look again at map no. 1 it really points out how short sighted it was to end the M11 with a junction north of Oylegate instead of south of it.

The river crossing west of Ferrycarrig will present an interesting engineering challenge. There's a fairly steep fall on the north side of the river, a wide crossing and an elevated railway track to be crossed at that point on the south side.

But this might not be the final route at all isn’t that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

But this might not be the final route at all isn’t that right?

they're supposedly starting from scratch with the route, but I'd imagine the first thing they'll do is look at the route chosen in 2010 and see if it's still viable.

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're supposedly starting from scratch with the route, but I'd imagine the first thing they'll do is look at the route chosen in 2010 and see if it's still viable.

Nothing has changed so it’s unlikely they’ll find anything different to 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Nothing has changed so it’s unlikely they’ll find anything different to 2010

it'll probably be the same route so.

Advertisement