Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kneemos wrote: »
    Zero chance of this starting within 2 years. It's at the very least late 2024, and that's assuming perfect conditions and sailing through ABP etc.

That's also not factoring a global pandemic and economic downturn we are now looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭steeler j

If it got to ABP in 2 years that would be more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    Zero chance of this starting within 2 years. It's at the very least late 2024, and that's assuming perfect conditions and sailing through ABP etc.

That's also not factoring a global pandemic and economic downturn we are now looking at.

Was on part of it the other day. Definitely not a priority scheme in the context of far worse N roads. It was all upgraded 30 or less years ago and below Wexford a low ADDT count. No obvious bottleneck bar a couple of roundabouts that are poorly executed. Sort those and this could trundle for a other few years without issue.
    Places like dungarvan, killeigh and castlemartyr are far far worse and barely a word about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Mapalerter

N25 Maldron to Whitford Roundabouts - Topographical Surveying from Monday 9th March for 2 weeks 09.00 to 17.00 daily. Possible Stop and Go at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

MichealD wrote: »
    Mapalerter

N25 Maldron to Whitford Roundabouts - Topographical Surveying from Monday 9th March for 2 weeks 09.00 to 17.00 daily. Possible Stop and Go at times.

Its topo surveying by the TII Regional Design office for a proposed resurfacing scheme later this year / early 2021. Unrelated to the Oilgate to Rosslare Hbr scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://oilgate2rosslareharbour.ie/public-participation/

Public consultation pending removal of covid-19 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

C is pretty much the old plans, I reckon they'll go for that one.

Whoever designed G was on the sauce, thats the wildest route selection I've ever seen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Assume this is tied in to the new road plans

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0703/1151146-rosslare-port/

€30m investment planned for Rosslare Europort

• Advertisement

Assume this is tied in to the new road plans

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0703/1151146-rosslare-port/

€30m investment planned for Rosslare Europort

Think it's mainly something to do with offshore wind development plans.
    Doesn't really have the roads to support freight,even for the southern half of the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's hard to see the individual route options on that map. On this page they're drawn separately and are easier to see.

I'd also encourage everyone to fill out the feedback form.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

I know option G is a bit of around the world route. But looking at it, it looks like it causes the very small impacts on current rounds like the other options seem to use the existing N25 in parts.

Option G could would & as it approaches Stephenstown/Killinick it could follow the iv option then onto the route for A & C onto Rosslare, or follow the iv option north of Killinick & onto the second iv option before rejoining the rest of option G to take the left/right bend out of the route, or just leave it the whole of route G. Very minimal impact on existing national primary roads & would be seem less from existing M11 south of Enniscorthy. Plus would have future option of M25 to Waterford via the new New Ross bridge & onward to Cork.

Major investment needed with south & southeast of Ireland in a post brexit world if landbridge is refused & would open up to tourism from the continent as well, major boost to both businesses & local economy’s & quality of life. We’ve a tendency to let this get unbearable before we fix things maybe this could be a first & act before things get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The new road should use as much of the existing road as possible, particularly the Wexford Bypass. It reduces conflicts with landowners, is cheaper and is more environmentally friendly, all of which make the project more likely to happen. The short term pain will be worth the long term gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The new road should use as much of the existing road as possible, particularly the Wexford Bypass. It reduces conflicts with landowners, is cheaper and is more environmentally friendly, all of which make the project more likely to happen. The short term pain will be worth the long term gain.

Makes completes sense, that was the route chosen at their first go of this process.

Anyone know the original route letter? We have a preferred route in place, from 2012, but what was that route letter? Was it a combination of A, B & D on the original routes set out? Anyone remember?

Actually I think might be the answer I wanted - "Going from north to south, this route generally comprises Route Option B, crossing onto Route Option D as it crosses the River Slaney west of Ferrycarrig Bridge, and continues as Route Option D for the remainder of the route to Rosslare Harbour"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

A Tweet from the Wexford People's Padraig Byrne;

"Public consultation on the N11/N25 Oylegate to Rosslare Europort scheme has been extended again until August 10, Dir of Services at @wexfordcoco Eamonn Hore has said."

Public consultation report published:

https://oilgate2rosslareharbour.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/229100548-MMD-0000-XX-RP-C-0025-P5-Public-Consultation-Report.pdf

Preferred route corridor expected by February/March 2021.

• Advertisement

Tender out for LIDAR surveys for the project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/177566/1/0

Can we know the value on this tender?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

Study area for the survey suggests E, F and G are off the table

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/docmgmt/downloadPublicDocument.asp?FMT=5&AT=3&LID=200635&DVID=2743659

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

My guess is they'll go with A. I wonder how much of this will be produced as Type 1 DC/motorway. It's possible that all of it could be 2+2, but realistically, I think they'll bring the motorway down to wherever the N25 is going to meet the new route (as M11 will also be carrying Dublin traffic to/from Waterford and the south coast via N25), then continue as 2+2 to Rosslare itself. I don't think even the Wexford bypass needs to be upgraded to Type 1 DC.

The traffic through the port really doesn't justify the capacity of a Type 1/ motorway (20,000+ daily) - even a single-carriageway road would do the job, but 2+2 would be the preferred choice for safety.

(A typical roll-on, roll-off ferry holds around 350 vehicles; you'd need to be operating 10 sailings a day to trouble even a single-carriageway road).

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    My guess is they'll go with A. I wonder how much of this will be produced as Type 1 DC/motorway. It's possible that all of it could be 2+2, but realistically, I think they'll bring the motorway down to wherever the N25 is going to meet the new route (as M11 will also be carrying Dublin traffic to/from Waterford and the south coast via N25), then continue as 2+2 to Rosslare itself. I don't think even the Wexford bypass needs to be upgraded to Type 1 DC.

The traffic through the port really doesn't justify the capacity of a Type 1/ motorway (20,000+ daily) - even a single-carriageway road would do the job, but 2+2 would be the preferred choice for safety.

(A typical roll-on, roll-off ferry holds around 350 vehicles; you'd need to be operating 10 sailings a day to trouble even a single-carriageway road).

If I were to guess I would say motorway from Oilgate to where the N25 meets the N11 which will be a significantly better powered junction than the current one. South of the N11/N25 junction motorway is complete overkill. Debatable whether any upgrade is required south of Wexford for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

If I were to guess I would say motorway from Oilgate to where the N25 meets the N11 which will be a significantly better powered junction than the current one. South of the N11/N25 junction motorway is complete overkill. Debatable whether any upgrade is required south of Wexford for now.

I could see them anticipating a post Brexit uptick in European sea crossings to justify 2+2 as a 'future-proof', as you say, probably not needed but I'm sure plenty would want to see all key ports linked by Dual carriageway.

There's another ferry service planned to Dunkirk from Rosslare,so that might be a factor.https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/11/27/new-rosslare-to-dunkirk-daily-ferry-service/

On another note I notice one or two cars have gone through the roundabout at Oylgate coming from the motorway. Maybe better road markings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Isn't the route on the Ten-T network/plan? I also seem to remember that Rosslare is not a 'core' port? Again, might change after Brexit...?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

DC further down towards Rosslare also gives somewhere to stack HGVs in the event of ferry disruption (weather, strikes, pandemics etc.).

Rosslare was a pretty sleepy roro port up until now but that could change significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Just putting this here as I can't find another thread suitable. With the increase in freight traffic from Rosslare arising from Brexit and a number of new ferry crossings I wonder that there seems to be no plan on any improvements on the N25 between Wexford and New Ross to link this scheme with the New Ross bypass and then on past Waterford (as soon as the Glenmore link is complete).

I know the road is fairly decent for a WS2 but one would have thought that a potential bypass of Ballinaboola might be considered as it's the only village between Wexford and New Ross that the N25 goes through.

I also assume that this Oilgate/Rosslare road itself will be built to 2+2 standard now given how Rosslare may become more of a key port.

Advertisement