Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Goes To Sleep!

• 21-10-2004 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have a weird thing going on where after a period of several hours inactivity on my Eircom bb connection, it goes to sleep. Specifically it loses the ability to resolve domain names. I can bring up the gateway configuration page and ping both the nameservers, but can't connect to any websites - sticks on finding www.foobar.com ar whatever and times out eventually. A reboot of the PC fixes it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I had the same problem with IOLBB. I hadn't got the DNS servers entered and this was causing my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

If I go to the gateway in my browser (192.168.1.254 I think?) there is a primary and secondary DNS configured. Also the problem only occurs after hours of inactivity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Go to system->device manager
    find your modem/dsl modem and go to properties, and then you'll see an option in the powersaving "allow windows to shut down this device to power save"
    that should be used, used to annoy me with my nic

Never even dawned on me that it might be a powersaving feature! Thanks. I'll check tonight and let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

You can probably try the "Nailed-up" option from the modem as well.

• Advertisement

You can probably try the "Nailed-up" option from the modem as well

Okay - that sailed right over my head....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sorry, I dont ahve eicom bb, but do their modems connect to a nic, yes? and whats the nailed-up? is this something that does only be done to eircom bb modems?

Lenny wrote:
    Sorry, I dont ahve eicom bb, but do their modems connect to a nic, yes? and whats the nailed-up? is this something that does only be done to eircom bb modems?
    Nailed-up is available on all DSL Modem, it basically allows the modem to re-established the session automatically if the session is closed for any reason which allows your modem to be online at all time.

Found this in the online manual - is that the setting to change?
    You can specify an Idle Timeout (seconds) value. The idle timeout tells the Router that if no traffic passes
    through the tunnel for the specified number of seconds, no automatic SA re-key should be performed.
    When new traffic does pass through the tunnel, the idle timeout interval resets again when the current SAs
    expire.
    If you set the value to zero, the Router will re-key the SA whenever the SA Lifetime interval specifies,
    regardless of whether traffic is passing through it or not. This will effectively “nail up” the tunnel.

Yep you have to set the value to zero, that will enable the "Nailed-up" option as it will reconnect all the time

• Advertisement

Hmmm - no joy with those solutions. The quote was actually from a manual for a different product :o
    I searched my manual (cayman 3000 I think - the default eircom one anyway) and couldn't find anything about "nailed-up". Also, I found the modem in the device manager, but there were no power management options.

Anybody?.... Anybody?..... Bueller?..... Anybody?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Anybody?.... Anybody?..... Bueller?..... Anybody?....
    I don't think it's anything to do with the modem or the DSL link itself because if it was you wouldn't be able to ping the name servers or anything external. This means that the modem and the DSL link is working.

You may be able to get around the problem by manually setting the name servers in the computer under the TCP/IP option under the local area connection to the router. Wait till it goes wrong again and try this.

Advertisement