Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Search for Files in Windows XP , PC Crawls

• 21-10-2004 10:51am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Find Files used to work - but the version in XP is absyml

It takes 20 mins to do a full search for files, during which time the PC is unusable, the mouse cursor lags by 3 seconds ....

Indexing service is turned OFF - 'cos that also hangs PC and is about as useful as ye olde fast find in office.

Drive is FAT32 not it is faster on NTFS partitions.

BTW: when you run a UNC link to a network place (because Network Neighbouthood is no longer with us - I could create shortcut.. ) is there a way of getting XP to NOT keep putting shotcuts to it in My Network Places ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

It takes 20 mins to do a full search for files, during which time the PC is unusable, the mouse cursor lags by 3 seconds ....
    Did you check your drives DMA mode? (dev manager/ide controllers)
    PIO mode = evil :mad:
    BTW: when you run a UNC link to a network place (because Network Neighbouthood is no longer with us - I could create shortcut.. ) is there a way of getting XP to NOT keep putting shotcuts to it in My Network Places ?
    I'm pretty sure I've seen an option to disable this recently, I'll have a poke around and see if anything jogs my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ok, think I've found what you're looking for...

Start>>Run>>gpedit.msc
    >>User Configuration
    >>Administrative Templates
    >>Desktop
    Do not add shares of recently opened documents to My Network Places.

Think sticking that to "enabled" should do what you're after... can't be 100% since my own little network is down atm.
    [edit] Don't forget to log out and log back in again for the changes to take effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lack of indexing service may cause that, but it probably shouldn't. Are you searching any peripheral drives - USB, Parallel (ugh)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'twas PIO - really only worth using on a Dual CPU system perhaps.
    BIOS upgrade did not fix - removing the entries in Device Manager (bottom ones first) and rebooting a couple of times and now we've got Ultra DMA mode 5

Still slows the PC when searching - but at least mouse is usable.

SantaHoe - Will know later if the Policy tip works :D

Advertisement