Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery software-S.O.S

• 21-10-2004 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I am in a bit of a jam, thought i had saved my Outlook folders(pst file) but forgot to tick "include sub directories" so all it saved was my empty folders. I then deleted the partition-created a new one-formatted it with ntfs-installed another copy of xp. I used a piece of software called "Ontrack" which seemed to have found my pst file but it is not complete(missing my emails from the inbox, which as luck would have it there the ones I need).Checked with my email supplier but nothing left on their sever
    Can anyone recommend another piece of software to use or someone you have used to retrieve data. All help much appreciated

Cubix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭bren2002

Sounds liek you have done everyhting possible to fully delete the data. Deleting the partion, formating it and then reinstalling an OS on top. I have used Ontrack before and its very good. I'd guess you have probably recovered as much as your going to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

do a search for Fast file undelete. Not sure if it will recover after what you've done though.

Another possibility is to run the inbox repair tool from windows on the pst you found. again, not hugely certain this will work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

When deleting a file in windows, it’s only removed from file table and the memory blocks are returned to free memory. But if part of the file is physically overwritten then there’s no chance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How did you "save" your outlook folders ?
    Did you export to a different pst ?

Because if you say you found a pst file without the emails in it then either the pst file was corrupted and a repair util was run on it OR the emails were removed from the pst earlier.

The bad news is that outlook stores email in a compressed format so you can't simply look through the disk sectors for email addresses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads thanks for all your input, in the end I was lucky enough to convince the guy in my email provider to look through their recovery disk that they keep incase there machine goes down. While I did not get all my email back it was enough to piece everything together. So anybody out there backing up their important email always tick "include sub-folders" or else you won’t get everything. Again I would like to thank everyone for their input

Cubix

• Advertisement
Advertisement