Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting a game on broadband

• 21-10-2004 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

Me and my mate have been trying to play battlefield 1942 and battlefield vietnam, amongst other titles, on the net using our Eircom broadband connections. We both have the netopia broadband modems and everything is working fine there, but when one of us tries to host a game, the other cannot find this game in the server list or do a direct connection using our ip addresses.

My question is, are there any routing tables that need to be setup in order to get multiplayer gaming working. We both have firewalls but they are configured to allow the ports needed for the games to be open.

Any help would be well appreciated, cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You need port 23000 open also for those games. if all ports open Ip to ip should work , but game will run slow unless you have mega pc.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

The fact that the server doesn't appear in the list could be because the server is not setup with the "Public" option, in that case the server is not displayed in the list of available server.

Regarding your IP, as far as I know, the Public IP is received by the modem itself, your machien probably gets a 192.168.x.x address so if you are trying to connect to the server using that IP, you will in fact try to connect to the modem. You will need to setup a NAT on the modem to redirect the traffic onto the Private IP of your machine. It's just an idea but that could be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Here's a handy page that lists the required ports for a bucket load of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

If one or the other of you goes to http://whatsmyip.net you will see your real IP address. Try connecting to this in the game and as Kdjac and Moriarty have said, make sure you have exposed the appropriate ports in your firewall (configure by going to the modem IP address - 192.168.0.254 i think for the eircom ones?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

any ideas on how to configure them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

try HERE

Look at configuring pinholes on that page (pinholes are holes in a firewall)

Either post back here looking for help or feel free to PM me.

Advertisement