Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mummy Returns

• 07-05-2001 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

I came, I saw, and I didnt like.
    The acting was sh|te, the cgi had some terribly weak spots, the plot had more holes than i have blood cells. The action scenes were surprisingly generic and to top it all they had an annoying child actor in the mould of Mannequin Skywalker. Just thought id voice my opinions

BTW i also saw Driven last week, the one which has been called the "battlefield earth" of 2001 which i surprisingly enjoyed.

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I originally got the trailer for Driven.. looked at it .. and up till about halfway through I went "hmm this has cars, women and CART racing.. gotta be worth a watch" and then for some unknown reason they showed the cars zooming down the main st. WTF????
    Hatred of Sylvester Stallone growing...
    My god Charlies Angels done that ffs and look how far it got them, lamest car chase ever.
    If however Driven turns out to be Days Of Thunder in Indylights/CART form then I guess it can't be too bad smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Winning Hand:
    I came, I saw, and I didnt like.
    </font>

Ah c'mon- what did you expect from a movie with The Rock playing the bad guy rolleyes.gif !

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 08-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i hadn't heard anything about it, frankly when i heard of a sequal, i thought "why bother", but now that i hear 'the rock' is in it, there's no way in hell i'll go within 20 feet of it!!!

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

apparently it had one of the most successful opening weekends ever in the us, although thats no indication of quality smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Prof.Frink

Hey I admit the plot and some other things could have been better but come on it's just a no-brainer full of action it's hardly going to be an oscar contender is it?
    THANX

Glaven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah cmon you didn't tell us the important information.

How much of Patricia Velazquez do you see in the film ?

I don't give a toss about the acting plot etc, I just want to see Patricia biggrin.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Apparently in opening weekend earnings it is the most successful of all time with $70m, beating Star Wars Episode I by $6million.

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gandalf:
    Ah cmon you didn't tell us the important information.

How much of Patricia Velazquez do you see in the film ?
    </font>

From what i've heard there are more scenes with Patricia Valaxquez then with the previous Mummy, and she still looks as fit as ever. another classy movie then. smile.gif

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

i really wanted that film to be good.............i loved the original for some unknown reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

---Full Metal Jacket---
    God was here before the marine core, so you can give your heart to jesus, but your ass belongs to the core!

---Jurassic Park---
    What they got in there King Kong?

---Aliens---
    Oh yeah sure, with those things runnin around, you can count me out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ooops rong place frown.gif soz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

looks like we have another Hulk Hogan on our hands with the rock - he's got more movies coming up wink.gif

To the hills! Women and children first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Oh Lordy those Hulk Hogan movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh come on, what do you expect?
    Honestly...

Like Frink said, it's a no-brainer.

I'm going to see it tomorrow, and I know I will have a good laugh.
    I enjoyed the first film...

But you can hardly think it's going to be another Usual Suspects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

saw it last night.
    little plot or continuity. acting wasn't great. sound quality was dodgy.
    but did I enjoy it?
    hell yes. great craic altogether.
    it's well worth going to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

the cgi looked to clean to be realistic. the acting was poor. the jokes terrible,

but it was good! the shot gun fights with mummies, the hand to hand fights, the air ballon with rocket boosters. THE PIGMYS!!! it was a fun film. if you go see a film with a pesimistic attidute you wont like it. enjoy it.

the film was a fun action movie! very indiana jones, and very fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan:
    looks like we have another Hulk Hogan on our hands with the rock - he's got more movies coming up wink.gif

To the hills! Women and children first!
    </font>

*slips on dress* ahhhhhhhh!!!

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I want the 2 hours I wasted on this cr@p peice of trash back.CGI looked weak,plot -what plot and the action bits were just 2 over the top.Nuff said.

As to the sequal/prequal to this starring the Rock,how the f@ck can the claim great acting from him in a movie,that warrents a movie starring him,when he is only in it for 4 minites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Saw it, enjoyed it. Taken for what it is, its got some terrific action sequences. Its completely inoffensive and its not gonna melt your brains out through your ears or anything, and there are films out there that have been medically proven to do such a thing. That said, the CGI was dodgy in places, but i can forgive that. Its not perfect, but go with it.

And if nothing else, Rachel Weisz is a foxy ladeeee....

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Now, I saw it Yesterday...

Good film.
    The Rock must have been the most pathetic excuse for an actor I've ever seen in recent years...

He was a joke...

It was a nice idea about the ressurection of Imhotep to take on The Scorpion King.

But C'mon, kids movie.
    What can you do but sit back and have a laugh?

I reconmend the film, but not if you are looking for something serious.
    Or think you are going to find a scrap of inteligence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Twister

Ah c'mon- what did you expect from a movie with The Rock playing the bad guy

The Rock as the bad guy? What film were you watchin? The Rock was in it for 2 minutes!! All he done was walked in the desert and died and got payed 10-15 MILLION just for that!!! He was not in the end only a badly designed computer generated version of him!! All in ALL it was a crap film!!!
    Oh no I know a dirty word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

saw it on friday. and it was a very good no-brainers action movie. i highly recommend it and rachel weisz is indeed a foxy ladeeee.

Those pygmies were funny when they was playin with the dynamite..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Yeah i went to see this last night. Not fantastic but good fun all the same. And how can you really say the rock acted shíte he had no actual lines to say in the film at all. Just a braveheart stylee fight scene with the computer animated monster army smile.gif The plot was too wierd and far-fetched to follow.

The jokes were fairly annoying , all the families in there were laughing while we just sat there silent :P

But rachel Weisz is in it , so go see it smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Warchild

By using logic,if mummy 1 was sh|it then what can you expect from the mummy 2?
    And with the 'rock' in it,it speaks "stay away!Bad movie approach with caution!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I thought it was good, definate no-brainer, predictable but fun biggrin.gif The pigmys were cool, especially when the log accross the canyon blew up and one of them rode it all the way down wink.gif

Fight scenes were great i thought but i have to agree, the rock sucked.

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

i saw it on saturday. REALLY ENJOYED IT.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

mmmmmmmm

Ms Velazquez and Ms Weisz - that is reason enough to go see it - those are 2 seriously sexy women - esp Patsy wink.gif She's not sexy in a "I'm a traditional big chested dolly bird" way, it's more of an underlying thing - creeps up on you and then she smiles and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Anyway, where was I, oh yes, The Mummy Returns....

Not a bad wee flick - leave your brain at the door (I missed the opening sequence with the Rock as I was removing my brain). Yes the cgi was a little suss and the story was somewhat weak, but it was still worth my £3.50 in Mayo Movie Word!!! curlydav.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    curlydav.gif
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 21-05-2001).]

i got a nosebleed as the film was starting so i missed the opening sequence too. ****ed me off.

I went to see 15 minutes last night at Ster Century.

There was a new guy selling the tickets, around 40 yrs old, with grey hair and a moustache. The ticket was supposed to cost £5.50.

Rory: 1 adult to 15 minutes at 8.10 please.
    OLD MAN: ok
    Rory: Somewhere near the back in the middle please.
    OLD MAN:i can only put u 5 rows from the back at the side.
    Rory: fairn enough, thanks.
    OLD MAN: that'll be £5.50 please.
    /me hands him a tenner.
    Rory: there you go.
    OLD MAN: Your ticket, and your change, thanks very much, enjoy the film.

so, i gave him ten pounds. The ticket was 5.50.

I got £6.50 change.

10 - 5.5 = 4.50.

6.50 - 4.50 = 2.00

2.00 = TWO POUNDS PURE PROFIT......

I was well happy with myself.

The real irony came after the film when i realised that the change had fallen out of my pocket in the cinema. curse those slanty seats. All 3.70 of my change was gone.

So,

10 - 5.50 = 4.50 + 2 (stupid man) - 3. 70 = 2.80.

FUC|<

It ended up costing me £7.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Saw it today, enjoyed it thoroughly. A good ol large popcorn and coke type film. Yes the acting is a bit naff, yes the CGI looks a bit rubbish in some scenes (the Scorpion King at the end being the main case in point), and there wasn't a plot.

Who the hell was expecting a plot from this? I mean really. Films like this are made to entertain you for two hours, that's what you hand over your money for. Therefore I consider it worth four quid to see it in the Savoy One.

They had the volume way WAY up for it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement