Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Broadband - What A Joke

• 21-10-2004 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

NTL BROADBAND – WHAT A JOKE

I was one of NTL’s first broadband users some two years ago, and was very happy with the service, I needed support once and that took a week to fix the problem but other then that I was happy. As I was one of the first I got no deals, I had to pay for the service to be installed and pay for the modem and no free months trail.

This year was going way for six months so I got my broadband turn off. I contacted them last week to get it turned back on again and this is where it turns into a joke. The cable is still connected and the modem still works, but they want 65 euro to reinstall the service!!!!

If I was a new user I would get free installation and 3 free months. Because I am a returning MUG they want to rob me, charge me to install a service that is already installed and no free months.

Why would anyone pay that?

Can I complain to ComReg?

Guess I will be a new user for eircom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

is there another name in the house you can sign it up to? as a new user?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭irlhost

egan007 wrote:
    is there another name in the house you can sign it up to? as a new user?
    I don't think that will work, as the modem and cable are already at the house. I even connected the modem to check the signal and its working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

you could try www.askcomreg.ie for an answer

Ah yeah.......comreg :rolleyes:
    good luck with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

dont see why you are so suprised thats standard for every company to charge a reconnection fee (tv/phone/bb/gas/most services).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

NTL do this with their normal TV service too. Complete waste of everyones time and my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Its probably a nice little moneyspinner for NTL and there may be be some legal implications for NTL regarding a new contract (changes to terms and conditions).

Not that its any excuse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

not a money spinner at all someone needs to go to their exchange for you twice to disconnect/connect so it pays for them

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

They have every right to charge you after all it takes somebody's time to reconnect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

not a money spinner at all someone needs to go to their exchange for you twice to disconnect/connect so it pays for them
    Err since when? They used to just throw a switch(figuratively) on their own software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'd gladly pay €60 to get away from eircom. Stop whining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

PiE wrote:
    I'd gladly pay €60 to get away from eircom. Stop whining.
    Heheheh i like it, eircom=****e, :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Didn't know they charged this, am suprised they charged a reconnection fee for the cable, but every company nearly does things for this now.. its to stop you disconnecting and reconecting every few months when it suits you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Better than askcomreg.ie, if you call them (in my experience) there is usually someone helpful to tell you whats what.

My problem is this.

1) I already paid a connection fee.

2) I had to pay for my modem.

3) No one now has to pay a connection fee.

4) No one now has to pay for a modem.

5) If you are a new client you get 3 months free.

I am a returning client, I don't mind not getting 3 months free, but to have to pay a connection fee when no-one has to come to the house, the cable is here and the modem is still working.

I think its pulling the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea maybe it is. But you'd still be an idiot to turn it down and go with eircom/utv/iol when NTL's broadband is much better (cap-wise and speed-wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Have you tried getting passed on to a supervisor on the phone lines? That sounds very "by the book" as if its just people on the end of the phone lines reading from the operations procedures manuals.

Im sure there can be a bit of give and take on this issue. Although if you cancel your NTL account with them and resign up to it, you would get what you are saying, the months free etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

PiE wrote:
    Yea maybe it is. But you'd still be an idiot to turn it down and go with eircom/utv/iol when NTL's broadband is much better (cap-wise and speed-wise).
    He has got a point
    NTL are the best hands down,
    whats eircom still offering now, 512k is it?
    while ntl offers 1.5mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Terms and Conditions clearly state that the price (i.e. Free) applies to new customers only. You are not a new broadband customer. You have no gripe or comeback.

That's the way it is. It's not worth their while to allow people to disconnect at will and then reconnect them free.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

u are outside ur initial years contract so I dont see why they won't just give it to you for free, or let u sign up again under the new t&c's probably means beng tie to them for another year though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Time to negotiate! Offer them 30 euro! Tell them how good a customer you are and that you will pay by DD. A bit of persistence always works in these cases.

• Advertisement

Just to answer some of your questions:

When I signed up for NTL broadband I was in the first group and paid for installation and the modem it was around £250 (old money) :) in total. I have always been a NTL TV user.

I had NTL broadband for over two years and was going away for six months and had it turned off, at that time I was told it would be “free to reconnect just give us a call”.

When I contacted NTL they, I guess didn’t have it in the manual that I already had the cable and just wanted to reconnect, I was told they would call me back. When I got the call I was told it was €65 and no free months, I felt this was unfair as I had been a broadband user for over two years and a cable user for more years then they have :).

This story ends well, as someone from NTL saw this post and contacted me. I go back online with free connection on the 1st of next month,

Thanks Paul ;)

Back online with NTL today :)

Bye bye dialups :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Congrats to NTL on the quick(ish) solution. Its nice to see someone pays attention to the boards who doesn't have their head stuck so far up........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Congrats to NTL on the quick(ish) solution. Its nice to see someone pays attention to the boards who doesn't have their head stuck so far up........

I agree with those sentiments its great to see someone at a Company spotting something which is causing aggro and showing a bit of initiative and getting it resolved and in the process generating some goodwill for the Company not to mention holding on to a customer who might have gone elsewhere in frustration.

Advertisement