Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham escapes FA punishment

• 21-10-2004 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Beckham caused controversy when he admitted to a national newspaper: "It was deliberate. I am sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever, but I do have the brains.

"I could feel the injury. So I fouled Thatcher. It was deliberate. I knew straight away I had broken my ribs. I have done it before. I knew I will be out for a few weeks, so I thought 'Let's get the yellow card out of the way'."

Thats what Golden Balls said.

And the FA?
    The Football Association decided there was "insufficient evidence" to charge the Real Madrid star with disrepute but "reminded him of his responsibilities".

:eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/3754942.stm

Roy Keane should sue their asses. Is Beckham bullet proof? Sh*te performances on the pitch, all sorts of theatrics off the pitch and then when he admits deliberately fouling a fellow professional he gets a minor slap on the wrist? Reminded of his responsibilities?

What next, Adrian Mutu to get a week in the Priory instead of Rio's 8 months?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I definitely think the FA shoul of taken some disiplinary action against old Golden Balls, but I suppose it was never gonna happen.

The difference with the Keane situation I suppose was the fact that Keane said that he intentionally went out to injure his fellow professional whereas Becks said that he was just looking to get a card.

And also, the circumstances between Mutu and Rio are totally different, and considering Rio is an English player, they were actually quite harsh on him.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

BaZmO* wrote:

The difference with the Keane situation I suppose was the fact that Keane said that he intentionally went out to injure his fellow professional whereas Becks said that he was just looking to get a card.

Fine, lesser punishment if necessary but punishment is required.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    And also, the circumstances between Mutu and Rio are totally different, and considering Rio is an English player, they were actually quite harsh on him.

B.

I'll use my [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags in future... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

it is a bit of a joke alright he should of getting banned for a couple of matched at least!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I agree . he should defo get some kind of punishment ..

But it typical of the FA , Let the big names do what they like .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Insufficent Evidence You have to laugh. He admiited it himself in public what further evidence did they need.

It's typical of the FA didn,t they let Shearer off with stamping on a competitors head when he was England Captain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

The Muppet wrote:
    Insufficent Evidence You have to laugh. He admiited it himself in public what further evidence did they need.

It's typical of the FA didn,t they let Shearer off with stamping on a competitors head when he was England Captain.
    yeah i was just about to mention that!!! he was in a tackle at the sideline!!! i cant remember who they were playing though, but watching the highlights i remember them zooming in and showing it in slow motion!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

WIll Bladder(or however u spell it :P ) poke his nose into this i wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In fairness, I know the FA are very inconsistent with their bannings but I don't think any other association would have banned their own player. Its up to UEFA to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

B-K-DzR wrote:
    WIll Bladder(or however u spell it :P ) poke his nose into this i wonder?

Maybe , he was amazed how Beckham having done something like this told the press , and put in that he had brains . I think like everyone else he's just laughing at the scenario , I hate Joey Septic Bladder but not all he's ideas are bad . (me thinks back to his idea's about womans football , and then soccer am's production on the matter)

[me drools]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

smiaras wrote:
    If this happened at club level the player is not going to get punished by his own club, he'd get a rollicking but thats about it. Whatever happens in internationals is up to UEFA to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    In fairness, I know the FA are very inconsistent with their bannings but I don't think any other association would have banned their own player. Its up to UEFA to do that.

Why do you say that . What has happened to the zero tolerance for cheats that Pallios was banging on about at the begining of the year.

I wonder if Beckham were still a United player would they have reached the same verdict? Somehow I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

he should of got a red card for the challange, he did it on purpose to get back at thacher, and used the yellow card as an exucse not trealising the **** it would cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I don't understand is if they banned him for like 4 games, he would be injured anyway, so it wouldnt matter.

Very stupid by the FA

PHB wrote:
    What I don't understand is if they banned him for like 4 games, he would be injured anyway, so it wouldnt matter.

Very stupid by the FA
    He would have been banned for internationals wouldn't he? Can the FA ban him from Spanish matches for something he did on international duty?

I'm still sticking to my point, its up to UEFA to ban him, not the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Muppet wrote:
    I wonder if Beckham were still a United player would they have reached the same verdict? Somehow I doubt it.

no , a lack of evidence wouldn't have been the verdict innocent would .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

How and ever, it was a stupid thing to say and actually do!....He should have recieved a ban for when he returned from injury but nowt happens to Liar23 anymore ay! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh for goodness sake.
    the lad made a crap tackle, as he often does when he is riled.

he tried to make it look intelligent and ended up with egg on his face, and good old fashioned telling off from both club and country.

i dont think there is any need to criminalise either him or the FA for the decision.
    god, if every stupid mistake earned a banning, we'd be watching every teams 4th reserves team every week!

except for ashley cole because he would have fallen over and got someone sent off long before he could get near enough to tackle anyone :)

Advertisement