Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downloading films online

• 20-05-2001 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Just read up on downloading films online for an article I'm writing.

Just one thing I'd like to put to the boards though - has anyone on here ever managed to download one?

What's the story? Easy? Difficult?

I'm the Dude

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

www.kazaa.com

FANTASTIC SITE!

easy, but takes a while

I'm a bicycle!!

I'm offended.

BAN THAT GUY!

In all seriousness....the greatest place on earth!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I watched The Matrix in ASF format two weeks before it was released here.

Funnily enough I immediately went to see it in the big screen and saw it three times in 2 weeks there. If I hadnt "warezed" it I probably wouldnt have...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ok then. So ASF format - what's that all about then?

I know nothing about these things.

Also - do either of you (or anyone else for that matter) know anything about DivX?

Is it any good? Where do you get DivX files etc?

Remember - I know nothing so spoon feed me and point me in the right direction.

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

There's a fair few flicks I've seen in DivX which I've yet to see in any other format, usually films I missed in the cinema, e.g. Mission Impossible 2 (hardly worth the download, but at least it was damn good image quality)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

As far as i can tell, the divX files are mixed in with .avi, .mpeg on kazaa. Apparently u need some program to run them and it won't work in NT or win 95,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ASF - Advanced Streaming Format (I'm pretty sure) - Microsoft's answer to Real Media (so Windows Media is out to take Real Player's place in the market).

DivX is ripped from DVD, ya? So when stuff's about to be released in the cinema over here, it's been released on DVD in the states, so we can schlurp thme down "if you'd like to see what the film looks like, but you'd best delete it after you watch and go to a cinema to watch it again (pay for it) as anything else would be piracy!"

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Divx is a compressed form of avi, more or less the same idea as mp3, only its a movie. Download a prog called GDIVX and install the divx codec from www.gdivx.com Works on win95 and other flavours... biggrin.gif

The follwing is borrowed from GDIVX....

DivX is based on the MPEG-4 compression format.
    MPEG-4 is a new standard of video compression that is both high quality and low bitrate. They are usually only a fraction (around 15%) of the size of a standard DVD, even at 640x480 resolutions, making them the best home video format thus far.
    They only take half the time to encode, and yet at the same time is smaller in size than MPEG-1 - due to their incredible compression technology - some have even called MPEG-4 the "MP3 of the video world". Quality ranges from net-streaming quality to DVD and better !!

Just to clarify, this is NOT related to the old defunct DVD Rental System, named DiV/X.

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 22-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

DivX is best form of digital video available for watching dvd quality movies which you can download from the web.
    i have been downloading dvd rip-divx movies from the states for over a year now and at the same time ,the same movie would just have reached theaters over here.
    sad state of affairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i downloaded a couple of films yesterday, but the filmname goes like this:

spaceballs(DIVX).AVI
    i can't play the film as windows media won't download the compressor codecs.

anything i can do. any other programs i can find just use the windowsmedia as their base.

i'm using WinNT btw.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
    -Nietzsche</font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The drivers posted up above on the gdivx site work on NT aswell, assuming youve got administration rights to install them of course.

Once the codec is installed all of those players you downloaded should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

thanks m8. i owe u one, if it works.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
    -Nietzsche</font>

Advertisement