Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home alarm system

Options
  • 21-10-2004 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I've seen various topics on these, but basically I'm looking for a recommendation of a company who will supply and fit an alarm that will ring me or a list of preferred numbers when it's tripped.

I really don't want to go the route of paying phonewatch or another company for dedicated monitoring, because the phone line is accessible on a box on the side of the house where it can be cut easily. If for some reason there is a break-in and the thing manages to dial out, I can call the gardai myself or a neighbour to check it out.

Wired or wire-free doesn't matter too much. The house is wired, but phonewatch told me to go jump because they would only certify wiring that's less than 3 years old.

FYI Phonewatch quoted over €1600 for their wirefree install and 30-odd a month monitoring thereafter.

Have to get moving on this cos the house insurance is dependant on having an alarm installed.

thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Not sure where I'm going to get it yet (gf's brother-in-law is getting for me) but I'll be getting a text-dialler for our alarm soon. Does something like what you described, but all comms are text-based, customisable and nothing to do with Phonewatch. He said it's around €180 for the attachment.

I can find out more tonight..
    B.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Benster- I also have an alarm in my house thats not monitored and I would like to install an autodialer. When you get yours working will you post about it and let us know whether its effective or not.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Benster wrote:
    Not sure where I'm going to get it yet (gf's brother-in-law is getting for me) but I'll be getting a text-dialler for our alarm soon. Does something like what you described, but all comms are text-based, customisable and nothing to do with Phonewatch. He said it's around €180 for the attachment.

I can find out more tonight..
    B.

Text dialler ...I'd be interested in that myself. The very old system was auto-dialler which played a taped message to the first number (from a list of programmed numbers) reached.
    More modern is the digi-communicator or digi for short. AS far as i know this involved a chip being programmed with your phone numbers. I didn't think you could programme it yourself withour special gear.
    Just one thought...If phone line is cut. or if somebody rings your line cannot dail out...old trick when breaking in...especially if system fitted with time delay (maybe 10 mins) designed to catch bad boys on site. They just ring your number and then break in, knowing they have 10 mins before bells ring.
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

I installed a wireless system, with auto dialer. I choose the Visonic Powermax lots of features, the control panel, serial PC interface, 7 wirless magnetic contacts, 3 PIR's, 2 Keyfobs, remote control, sound bomb, etc. came to approx €800 12 months ago. I note a newer version is now available with wireless cameras as an option, login remotely and see who has broken in :D !

You do not need to install a contact on every window, install PIR's in the core of the house (e.g. hallway and landing), contacts on all external doors, and the odd window (e.g. above a conservatory). Also allow for a wirless door contact for the shed(s).

Details are HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Usually the system monotoring costs about 180 a year,
    YOu could add an FM radio monitor to if you wish , so lines wont matter

Jade Security 8128131 are a good company,DJ Royal, A1 alarms are also good.

I deal with most of the security companys and there are some really good and bad ones, Jade are a little pricey, but they will be there in 5 years when you get new windows and want to upgrade etc.
    I dont really recommend the "guy nextdoors mate" that everyone knows as he'll hardly be doing alarms in 5 years and you'll have to start again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

there is this yoke as well which I like the look of except for the E299 price. http://www.galarm.com/alarm.htm

I wonder if Benster gear will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Advertisement