Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrared PDA Locator

Options
  • 21-10-2004 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I want to create an application on a PDA using J2ME.

It will locate the PDA based on Infrared signals received from emitters placed at various points.

I understand the J2ME side of things but I've never included Infrared in an application before!!

Any idea of how to incorporate infrared functionality into my application?

Any tips on Infrared API's or where to begin researching?? I've googled for ages but I'm still none the wiser!!

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Infrared ports are generally exposed by the operating system as serial comm ports so that's what you need to be googling for.

Are you aware that the range of infrared on PDAs is generally very short and they're directional aswell ? This doesn't really affect the programming side of things but it does mean that in practice the PDA will have to close to and pointing at an emitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Cheers stevenmu, I'll keep the PDA infrared limitation in mind. I'm currently just trying to come up with a 4th year project proposal, but I'm hitting brick walls for every idea.

I posted a thread yesterday regarding another idea. The thread is "J2ME PDA Locator Application" in Programming Forum. It utilises Hotspot MAC address. Caught between the two ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

AFAIR there are two kinds of Infra-red signals. One is for data transfer and another is for remote controls. Some PDAs support both.

With the remote control based signal it is a lot less fussy then the data transfer one but not good for data. So you don't have to be close and just be pointing in the general direction of the transmitter.

Advertisement