Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do they have against singers

Options
  • 21-10-2004 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

It appears Christy Moore was held for 2 hours in Holyhead under the anti-terrorism act.

He and his driver were separated and questioned on the contents of his bags and the lyrical content of his songs. He was given no explanation at the time.

Thats just madness!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rofl

got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Christy Moore reveals he was held in Holyhead under anti-terrorism legislation

15:45 Thursday October 21st 2004

Singer Christy Moore has revealed he was held for two hours on Monday by British police at Holyhead under anti-terrorism legislation.

He had travelled there by ferry on his way to a series of concerts in the UK.

In a statement through his publicist this afternoon, Christy Moore describes the incident as threatening and frightening.

Mr Moore has said he and his driver were questioned in separate rooms but his van was not searched nor his instrument cases or equipment.

He has said he found the whole experience threatening he faced questions about lyrics in his songs the contents of his briefcase and personal questions about his family and children back home.

The singer has said at no time did he get an explanation as to why he was being held.

Mr Moore has said he found the whole affair fighting and the feeling he is left with now some days later is one of sadness because he thought this kind of behaviour toward Irish people heading towards the UK was a thing of the past.

He said both he and his driver have given full statements to the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Irish Ambassador in London.
    http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=9&si=62738

He was probably singing lisdoonvarna....thats a' real terror' alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wonder had it anything to do with his involvement in the Bush-baiting "Lonely Soldier" anti-war song with Damien Rice? Nah, surely it couldn't have, could it?

Man, the Americans are some paranoid eejits:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OK - content of his bags...fair enough....

But lyrical content of songs......you've gotta be kidding me....

What next? A special visa application form for Irish applicants with a new checkbox alongside the "I'm not a terrorist and don't intend to commit acts of terrorism in the US" one, with the heading "I've never sung any rebel songs, and don't even know the titles let alone the lyrics to any of them" ?????

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

bonkey wrote:
    OK - content of his bags...fair enough....

But lyrical content of songs......you've gotta be kidding me....

What next? A special visa application form for Irish applicants with a new checkbox alongside the "I'm not a terrorist and don't intend to commit acts of terrorism in the US" one, with the heading "I've never sung any rebel songs, and don't even know the titles let alone the lyrics to any of them" ?????

jc

Visa Waiver Declaration

Have you ever participated in the recital of anti-anglican prose or lyrics while

(tick all that apply)

A) Sober in Public

B) Drunk in Public

C) Just after last orders, in the corner with all the old folk, while you have three rounds on the table and the barstaff are cleaning out the pub.

He was probably singing lisdoonvarna....thats a' real terror' alright ;)

"Joxer goes to Stuttgart" is quite clearly a coded message relaying the details of an Irish terrorist plot to assasinate the entire English parliment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

"Joxer goes to Stuttgart" is quite clearly a coded message relaying the details of an Irish terrorist plot to assasinate the entire English parliment.

Ah yes...now it makes sence......
    I think it's great, the sooner the better these terrorists/singers (whatever they are calling them these days) are put away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

At least now he knows what we all went through (us blokes that is) every time i went to London in the 80's/90's ....
    Hope they used the gloves on him.... like to hear christy version of ring of fire......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Sleepy wrote:
    Wonder had it anything to do with his involvement in the Bush-baiting "Lonely Soldier" anti-war song with Damien Rice? Nah, surely it couldn't have, could it?

Man, the Americans are some paranoid eejits:rolleyes:
    Those damn American border guards in Holyhead! DAMN BUSH AND ALL HIS KIND!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Poor auld Christy.

I spoke to a journalist collegue in London today about this and he thinks that he just ran fowl of a Special Branch training exercise. They routinely pick out the occasional 'mick', usually on the ferries, to practise interogation techniques on.

They normally pick out subjects that don't look too intelligent - one's they think won't kick up much of a stink with the media - for the this type of thing. He said it was done normally to access an officer's capabilities in a live situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Classic form of police harrassment. I hope it is not a return to the days when anyone travelling to and from Ireland is deemed a terrorist/terrorist sympathiser. I got stopped & questioned quite a bit when travelling in the late 1980s and 1990s (along with thousands of other Irishmen).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Classic form of police harrassment. I hope it is not a return to the days when anyone travelling to and from Ireland is deemed a terrorist/terrorist sympathiser. I got stopped & questioned quite a bit when travelling in the late 1980s and 1990s (along with thousands of other Irishmen).

yeah and we never made a bones about it, but christy gets stopped and "boo hoo, look at me, how dare they, dont they know who i am"

Advertisement