Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

openVPN

Options
  • 21-10-2004 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

On the offchance that anyone here is familar with openVPN...

I have a server and two clients, i wish to build an internal network using the server,

I have succesfully connected one client into openVPN and established a private network between them using lan style internal ip's. I wish to add a second computer into the mix but as far as i can tell the daemon only accepts one connection at a time.

is there a way to add a second system onto the vpn so that it can use 10.0.1.3 and communicate with 10.0.1.1 and 10.0.1.2 at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Why do you need to use a VPN if all of the machines are on the same subnet? You should only need a VPN if you're connecting to another site over the Internet.

If you're sharing files between the PCs just use shares in windows or nfs in linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

my system at home is firewalled and i can make vpn sessions with my server in a datacentre, but would like to be able to allow a few of my friends to dialinto the server so i can play lan games and the likes with them

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Are you using windows or linux for the server and the clients?
    I've set up an OpenVPN server, and successfully connected a client to it, but when I try to connect a second client, the first client gets bumped off the VPN. What's the problem?

This is a common problem that occurs when you re-use the same certificate/key pair among multiple clients. It can also occur if you didn't provide a unique common name for every client's certificate. While none of these practices is recommended, if you cannot avoid using duplicate certificates or common names, use the --duplicate-cn config file option.

Have a read of these:

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/faq.html
    http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/20notes.html

You shouldn't need to add routes to the clients or change the default gateway. As soon as you connect, both clients should use the vpn to connect to the 10.1.0.xx subnet.

Advertisement