Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How often do you use your sun visors

Options
  • 21-10-2004 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

Never? Sometimes? Often? Always?

All cars have sun visors and I wonder if people use them. Do you just use yours to store your driving licence or do you leave it down all the time?

Does it annoy you when your passenger uses theirs and leaves it down after they get out?

Would you buy a car that didn't have sun visors? Or would you fit a DTM sun strip and take the visors out.

Share the love - tell me your deepest, darkest sunvisor secret...

'c

How often do you use your sun-visor 30 votes

Never
    0% 0 votes
    Sometimes
    13% 4 votes
    Often
    36% 11 votes
    Always
    50% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ceptr bored?

Use them sometimes, typically this time of year driving east in the morning and west in the evening with the sun very low. I've used them as much in the past week as in the previous 6 months. You're probably the same why else post about this now

My passengers would never leave them down. They know I'd be cross if they did ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    ceptr bored?

Use them sometimes, typically this time of year driving east in the morning and west in the evening with the sun very low. I've used them as much in the past week as in the previous 6 months. You're probably the same why else post about this now

My passengers would never leave them down. They know I'd be cross if they did ;)

Hey stranger, haven't seen you 'round these parts in a while. Not bored, trying an experiment and will report findings over in the Sci Forum. Will follow this with a poll on 'Alloys - how many spokes is best' and will eventually be banned for wasting bandwidth.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ok.. they are functional.. and I think I prefer them to the strip.. plus... and I know it's sounds so girly.. they have a mirror ... :o hey.. I'm being honest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

My visors are always down and i get a little annoyed when a passenger puts their side up and leaves it that way after getting out. Against the grain - i know, but i've gotten used to them down, a bit like getting used to a widescreen tv. BTW - The civic's visors don't have mirrors. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cos I'm tall and the windscreen has a blue tint across the top I almost never use the visor and am hugely pe'ed off when someone leaves the passenger visor down!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

just thought i`d bring a bit of normality to this thread.
    Strangely enougy now,,, i use mine when the sun is in my eyes,,,, and even odder,, i put them up when the sun dies.

Dont debate it too much now!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Only use them when Sun interferes with my vision! Otherwise, they're up out of the way!

mike65 wrote:
    Cos I'm tall

How tall mike? 6'2 myself and big green strip on the car, but when the sun is rising or setting in autumn and spring, I need it!

Hey stranger, haven't seen you 'round these parts in a while

LOL have to admit I didn't post in here for a day - a whole day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I use my visor when its sunny ... shock horrer :D

• Advertisement

Ok, so now I have your attention (or at least I did for a few seconds) tell me how often you use your ABS? If your car doesn't have it, move on to the next thread but if it does - and I won't post a separate poll - tell me have you ever used it? Did it surprise you or had you practiced with it in an empty car park? Would you use it to steer out of danger or do you know what to do?

I saw the closest near miss on my way home last night, when a car pulled out of a side road in front of another, but despite having ABS it was obvious the driver didn't apply enough pressure to bring it on and nearly crashed. This got me thinking and I reckon 90% of drivers have never brought their ABS on on purpose and when they need it, won't know what to do with it.

Over to you.

'c

PS Like the sig?

unkel wrote:
    How tall mike? 6'2 myself and big green strip on the car, but when the sun is rising or setting in autumn and spring, I need it!

Pah, titch! me 6'4" :) Actually the main reason I dont use the visor much is cos of where I work relative to where I live. I drive away from the rising sun to work and away from the setting sun back home. Handy!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

going downhill approaching a roundabout at bout 2 a.m one (wet) morn in my mams '98 punto, which she always swore had ABS, some idiot in the only other car on the road decides to stop on the roundabout, imagine my shock when i realise i have to get from 60 to nothing - foot hard on break and front wheels immediatly lock up and arse starts to kick out so off with the foot from the breaks a bit, at this point i start to realise that i ain't gonna stop in time and didnt my mother always say this car had ABS?, anyway the car eventually decides to pull off the roundabout just in time for me to make it though
    so in answer to your question, no my mother doesnt check to if her car actually has ABS never mind bring it on so she would know what to do with it!

what happened to 'ceptr not needing sig?!

....eh? Whats this got to do with sun visors? :eek: Ah edit> I had'nt spoted 'ceptors cunning diverion!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Haven't found myself in a situ where I needed ABS in my current car. (might have used it without realising at some stage. )

Only used it once two cars ago when I was driving a company car (mondeo) Didn't work too good on snow and ice (ooch :o )

I'm on my third car with ABS. With the first car (owned for nearly 3 years), I tried it out at some stage, but never needed it in practice. Since then I always test the ABS before purchasing the car

My second car (owned for just over 3 years) with ABS used it regularly during normal, or slightly harder than normal, braking

Current car (owned 8 months so far) the ABS kicked in once, today at lunchtime :eek:

Near accident with an old scruffy and drunk looking man (as far as I can judge in a split second, I could be wrong) in an old golf banger driving way too fast and not yielding right of way to me at a roundabout. I would have been too late to avoid an accident had he carried on. I braked hard while already into the turn, activating the ABS. Your man braked hard too (no ABS) and skidded and nearly went off the road. Had he not taken action at all, the left front of my car would have probably hit his driver's door. He would have been seriously injured, possibly dead :eek: :eek:

I haven't come as close as this to a serious accident before, although the cars never came within 10 feet of each other

ubu wrote:
    what happened to 'ceptr not needing sig?!
    'ceptr changed mind....

Punto's are just scary when you have to stop them quickly due to centre of gravity being above the actual car.

'c

I feel another poll coming on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Punto's are just scary when you have to stop them quickly due to centre of gravity being above the actual car.
    I feel another poll coming on....

lol, yea that definitely doesn't help

new poll how many of you had to use the airbags in your punto because you couldn't stop in time?!
    or did she just tell me it had airbags aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Whats with all the gay stoopid questions.

Asking ppl if they use their ABS "properly"? Like ur a kid that just found out what abs is and now asking everyone who "knows" what it is,,, if they ever used it.

Do you use ABS? Please dont tell me that piece of **** car in ur sig isnt what u actually drive?? Should you not wait till u actually get a car before telling other ppl how to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ouch someone feeling a bit narky today!!!!!!

I tought it a very good tread, so how do i activate ABS "if" mams car has it.

Jozi

EDIT: Just reading another tread, damn you have one big attitude problem!

• Advertisement

rander00 wrote:
    Whats with all the gay stoopid questions.

Asking ppl if they use their ABS "properly"? Like ur a kid that just found out what abs is and now asking everyone who "knows" what it is,,, if they ever used it.

Do you use ABS? Please dont tell me that piece of **** car in ur sig isnt what u actually drive?? Should you not wait till u actually get a car before telling other ppl how to drive.

Oh dear, did you forget to take your PMT medicine?

At the end of the post I pointed out that a 'near miss' had me thinking about ABS. In a recent survey by the Britich Institute of Advanced Motorists they found that 90% of motorists in cars with ABS didn't either know how to use it properly (slam on as hard as possible) or how to steer around an obstacle while braking heavily.

I am 37, married with two kids, drive a Renault Espace 2.9 V6, and I currently have an Alfa 155, a Punto, a Bravo, a '96 Fiesta, two Minis and an Audi 100 outside my house, all of which I own, none of which are taxed or NCT'd. Oh and there are at least six set of alloy wheels and many other bits of broken cars.

The pictures in my sig are of the bike number plate I was 'done' for as mentioned in an earlier post, a cinquecento which resulted in several pages of excellent posts and the back of a Mini which I find funny.

I don't want to have to explain myself again to some spod in a 306 who nearly broke the stereo trying to take it out and whose creative ability when it comes to customising extends to adding fog lights.

'c

76b1fbb5.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bloody typical. Haven't invoked abs on purpose(ie testing it) or in a real heavy breaking situation (ie by 'accident') this century! Last time was in my old A3 in about '99 on black ice just as I came to a stop at a junction IIRC.

Read this thread last night and tonight I jammed on at about 50 for a red light on the wyatville road. Absolutely disgusted with myself for getting distracted and not noticing the light had turned red till the last second. Anyway the abs kicked in and I stopped about 1 ft across the line. So it works in the new car. Woohoo! I can just imagine the person slowing down a 100m behind me seeing this eejit doing 50 almost at the lights..."jaysus I don't think he's going to stop"....and then seeing the car stop in the space of 3 or 4 car lengths.

Luckily there wasn't anything turning onto wyatville at that junction as although I wouldn't have come anywhere near to hitting him as it turns out (stopped 1ft across white line) ,it would have scared the bejaysus out of him. I slag off bad driving on these forums and I feel such an eejit for making such a stupid mistake. Will probably over compensate by driving like a grandad for the next few days I imagine after that little scare.

Advertisement