Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java installation and configuration

Options
  • 21-10-2004 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Please help I have installed java on win xp, I have set the path and classpath but I still cant get it to work I need to get it running urgently for college so a detailled explanation of how to install would be greatly apprechiated, btw whats the difference between sdk and jdk? which one should i be installing? Or maybe is there a "java" that installs itself which would save me a bit of hastle.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Open up a command prompt, type 'echo %CLASSPATH%' and 'echo %PATH%' and post up what it prints

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

echo %CLASSPATH% gives
    C:\java

echo %PATH% gives
    C:\java\bin;C:\java\bin;(followed by some strange symbols that I can't locate on the keyboard)

I set these path's

Don't think they are set correctly. For classpath, you need to include the current working directory, which is refered to by a full stop. Set it to:
    C:\java;.

The path needs to point to the directory where java.exe and javac.exe are located. If you installed the jdk/sdk (jdk is just the old name for the sdk) to C:\java then that path is probably ok, take a look if the two files are there. If you installed it to the default location and are using the c:\java for your own code, then it's probably something like 'C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\bin', do a search for the files.

Ah I still can't get it to work I searched for those files and I set the CLASSPATH to C:\java;. and I set the PATH to C:\java\jdk\bin which is the correct location as I did a file search. Any ideas? whats going wrong.

What do you get when you run java or javac from the command line?

• Advertisement

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Irving.RULETHACKARD>javac test.java
    error: cannot read: test.java
    1 error

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Irving.RULETHACKARD>javac Circus.java

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Irving.RULETHACKARD>

Seems to me like java is setup properly, or else it would be a different error you'd be getting. You sure the files are in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Irving.RULETHACKARD?

Advertisement