Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European firearms pass and pistols

Options
  • 21-10-2004 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have my eye on a Hammerli SP20 pistol, so remind me again why this won't work:
    1. Get a serial number from foreign dealer.
    2. Jump through the hoops for the Gardai
    3. Get licence
    4. Apply for European firearms licence for said pistol
    5. Fly in from source county with appropriately licensed pistol
    6. Pass customs
    7. Enjoy shooting it until I melt the barrel
    Which bit doesn’t work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The question boils down to one thing Slug; do you need an importation licence from the DoJ or not? Section 17 of the 1925 Firearms Act says yes; but it looks like section 21 of the 1964 Act says that that doesn't apply in your specific scenario. The DoJ when asked have said both yes and no to the question. And the EU firearms pass (it's not an european firearms licence in the way that our licences are) doesn't entitle you to enter the country with the firearm if the government doesn't want you to. It's all a large mess at the moment. So if this isn't sorted, you get stopped either in customs here or at the airport on the far end.

Oh, and the barrel won't melt. The throat of the barrel will go long before then, or the trigger mechanism or something else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Sparks,
    Maybe if I get the .32 conversion and put a few hot loads through it might :D
    They seem to have a vague answer for everything, yes but no.
    As far as I'm aware the Gardai in our area want us to have a Safe with a monitored house alarm and the safe to be on a separate monitored channel as well!!
    No nixer alarms here, if you want an alarm monitored it has to be installed by a registered installer and meet NASI spec. loads of €€€
    I'm looking down the barrel of that one at the moment.

Didn't know they made a .32 conversion - I wonder if you could shoot ISSF fullbore with that?

And yes, very vague. I've submitted a parlimentary question to the Dail on this (from myself personally, I need to point out, not representing any organisation) and it's up to be answered next Wednesday, so we should have a ruling one way or the other, hopefully:
    Will the Minister comment on the current policy of his department with regard to the granting of importation licences under Section 17 of the 1925 Firearms Act; on how many such importation licences have been applied for since July of this year; and on whether these importation licences are required for individuals who have been issued with firearms certificates by An Gardai Siochana, in light of Section 21 of the 1964 Firearms Act?

(Took a while to phrase it so as to not annoy the DoJ any more than could be avoided).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Sparks,
    I'd tend to agree with being nice, never rub the fur up the wrong way. McDowell in a blink could close the whole thing down.
    I feel that their just taking a wait and see attitude, just trying to sound us out trying to see how many people are interested and what sort of thing their going to apply for. Who's got serial numbers and pistols to sell yet?
    Hammerli as far as the conversation I had with them don't even have an agent in this country, Bisley is the nearest and their a section 5 dealer.
    Due to get a price off them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GreenGun

The Hammerli SP20 pistol comes in .22 or .32 and is designed for ISSF.
    You can get a conversion.
    You don’t need to change the trigger like with the GSP.
    I have one on order for a customer (and getting another one for me!)
    I’ll let you know if the DOJ are good enough to let me have the import so I can sell them!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Lads dont hold your breath, I mad a application for a import licence for a .22 pistol 3 weeks ago, I have a licence for the pistol, I spoke to a very nice lady in the DOJ and she advised me that as yet no decision had being made re import documents. lets hope that it all works out for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Have you asked them about Section 21 of the 1964 Act? It would seem to apply in your case.

I mentioned that to her she humed and hawed and promised to "Get back to me" I am still waiting, at the moment I am not too worried as any PP comps are being held in NI, and I have both .22 and .45 "ON " in NI, but with the upcoming establishment of pistol shooting competitions in EI I would like to see some clarification to this farcical situation. The local Guards have being more than helpful ,at the interview for the .45 licence I explained in detail PP type shooting and the need for a full bore pistol, he accepted my arguement and expressed a interest in trying out PP, !did you make any progress re pistol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

LES
    did you get her name? I think it would be helpful if we had as many names of the DOJ staff,and as to what they are saying on what date and time.

Yes I have both name and direct dial number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

/me wonders if hes going to need a freakin *safe and alarm* for a single-shot 10m pellet pistol :(

According to the amendment RA, it's all down to the local Superintendent...

Advertisement