Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some more High Roller (Stu Ungar film) info

Options
  • 21-10-2004 11:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The director posted the story of how he got the film made which while not being poker related makes interesting reading:-

So you want to know about how HIGH ROLLER got made? OK, here goes:

First, I wasn't exactly a newbie to filmmaking -- I had made hundreds of commercials and
    industrial films in my previous life in advertising and corporate communications. In fact, it
    was this experience that made me want to make a feature: I loved all aspects of making
    these little films, and I would finally be able to tell a story without being forced to include
    dialogue like "Gee, Bob, your breath smells so CLEAN!" (Unless of course it was a searing
    drama on the horrors of halitosis...).

So I set out to write a feature script. The first thing I did was read every book on the
    subject I could get my hands on: McKee, Field, Truby, etc., etc. And I bought Final Draft
    software.

All the gurus said "Write what you know!," so I wrote a psychological thriller about a couple
    of college kids who mug a classmate without really realizing what they were getting into.
    (Not that I'd mugged anybody, but I went to college, and had classmates.)

It sucked.

So I rewrote and rewrote and rewrote and rewrote.

It still sucked.

Just when I was getting incredibly frustrated, a couple of things happened:

1. I read a book called "Zen and the Art of Screenwriting" by William Froug. It has
    interviews with working screenwriters, and their counsel in essence freed me from the
    formulas that the gurus were preaching, which in turn freed me to write without worrying
    about "inciting incidents," page counts, or other stifling crap.

2. I got invited to play in a MUCH higher stakes poker game in which I usually play, and
    got KILLED. I wasn't just a fish, I was the whole freakin' AQUARIUM. So I bought a bunch of
    poker books, and read them. But I started noticing these little anecdotes about Stuey
    Ungar, and before I knew it, I was researching his life. (And still getting killed at the poker
    table, but not as bad.)

The research led me to travel to Vegas, Tunica, and New York where I spoke with dozens
    of people who knew or knew of Stu, including his ex-wife and daughter, as well as
    experience the "poker life" (play 48 hours straight, for example). Needless to say, the
    legends I heard were inspiring. While I spoke with people, or just sat at a tournament
    table, ideas would flash into my head about situations, dialogue, and characters, and I'd
    make a note, mental or otherwise.

Finally, I sat down to write. While the old script had been rewritten 20 times over a year or
    more, I was done with the first draft, which greatly resembled the shooting draft, in a
    month. And I knew I had to shoot it. The adventure began.

I had also been reading a bazillion books on production, and using whatever web
    resources I could. During this time, I came across Dov Simens' 2-day film school:
    http://www.webfilmschool.com/
    and decided to take a trip to NY, see my Dad (he lives on Long Island), and take the
    course. It was, by far, the best thing I did with respect to learning production, even having
    experienced the advertising/corporate production world. A whole different animal, the
    feature world.
    The last day of the course was September 10th, 2001.

As I checked out of my uptown hotel early on September 11th, people were murmuring
    about how a plane had hit the Trade Center. Like most, I thought it was an accident. As I
    walked across town to catch my bus to Long Island, people were emptying onto the street,
    looking downtown at the smoke drifting across 5th Avenue. When the second plane hit,
    and it was clear that it was an attack, bedlam. People were streaming into the street, fire
    engines and police cars everywhere. I climbed onto my bus, and we were the last vehicle
    into the Lincoln tunnel before they shut it down. As we pulled out the other side, we could
    see clearly across the river as the South Tower collapsed, and the radio told of the
    Pentagon attack. Being on that bus, driving away from NY, felt like an escape. Surreal.

Sorry for the diversion. It's the first I've really thought about being there in some time.

OK, so now what? I flirted briefly with trying to get an established production company
    involved, but to be honest, I really hated being dissed by virtually everyone I talked to, so I
    said "screw it, I'll raise the money myself." So I prepared a business plan, and proceeded to
    twist the arm of every friend, relative, acquaintance, stranger, and farm animal I could
    think of (who knows, they could have cash...). And I coughed up my own money, too.
    Yuck.

Obviously, since we wouldn't have a lot of cash, I had to figure out how to pull off a multi-
    location period shoot as cheaply as possible. Scouting around, I realized that only Vegas
    would do for Vegas, but we could fake 70s NY fairly easily (as long as we didn't get too
    wide...) in Tennessee. So I decided that we would avoid traveling a bunch of crew by hiring
    locally in the two locations (Nashville/Vegas), and only travel department heads.

So, while Larry Boothby (Cinematographer and friend) and I scouted Vegas locations and
    resources, we met with F.A. Miller, long-time line producer for the likes of Robert
    Zemeckis and Gil Adler, and brought him aboard. He in turn introduced us to Ray Favero,
    who would cast the Vegas day-players. But during discussions with Ray, he got the script
    to Steve Schirripa (Bobby Bacala on the Sopranos), who loved it. Steve then asked us if we'd
    be interested in having Michael Imperioli read the script for Stu. I thought it over for at
    least a nanosecond before agreeing.

I flew to NY and met with Michael for lunch, and then for drinks a day or so later. After
    lengthy negotiations with his agent and managers (more like whining and begging), and
    after agreeing to push our shoot back two months, Michael was in.

From there, things got easier. The actors offered to us by agents got a LOT better. Crew
    was more available. Funny how a name actor (even if he's a cable actor), will do that...

So we shot for 22 days (on 35mm), and came in on time, on budget. Things went
    supernaturally smoothly. We transferred to video with keycode, and I edited on Final Cut
    Pro at 24fps and conformed the negative off the cut list from the system.

I listened to at least a gazillion songs while I was editing (couldn't afford a music
    supervisor), and decided on key tunes for the film. When I forwarded the names to our
    music clearance attorney, I quickly removed most of them, and started again. HOLY CRAP,
    RECOGNIZABLE MUSIC IS EXPENSIVE! Our composers, Starr & Jeff, were referred through
    our production designer Shay Austin (a miracle worker). I sent them a final cut, and they
    played me music cues over the phone (!) while they were composing.

I hired Carmen Borgia and Matt Gundy at DuArt in NY (great guys, and great sound men)
    to do the sound design and final mix, and traveled to NY to supervise the Dolby 5.1
    engineering as Larry (the DP) was supervising the color correction in LA at Deluxe Labs.

The first time either of us saw the finished film was at the Taos Film Festival, our premiere.
    Luckily, the sound was in sync, although we had a moment of terror when the theater's
    advertising slide projector came on over a key scene (it was on a timer).

Advertisement