Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer Not Loading Pages!?

• 21-10-2004 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've been working away on a pc that was littered with viruses and the like, and finally have it running smoothly till I tried IE.

Basically IE will not load pages (firefox will), it doesn't even send anything out to get the page, just tries and fails.

What I mean by that is, the firewall on the pc does not recieve any requests out to the internet, but IE status bar seems to look like its checking then fails and timesout. I had a few patches on my own pc so its IE6 now and running on WindowsME (god i hate it).

Anyone any ideas? I replaced Norton Antivirus2004 with AVG, saw something small about Symantec firewall stopping IE like this after it was uninstalled but nothing in detail.

The pc usually connects to the net over 56k modem but have it connected now through my router and everything else connects to the net fine except for IE.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Gid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Did you try all the usual adware/spyware/hijack apps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

What do you need IE for anyway? You have FireFox ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Gideon wrote:
    What I mean by that is, the firewall on the pc does not recieve any requests out to the internet, but IE status bar seems to look like its checking then fails and timesout. I had a few patches on my own pc so its IE6 now and running on WindowsME (god i hate it).

Anyone any ideas? I replaced Norton Antivirus2004 with AVG, saw something small about Symantec firewall stopping IE like this after it was uninstalled but nothing in detail.

Search the registry for "Symatec", remove everything, delete the Symantec/NAV folder, reboot.

Norton's uninstaller...sucks. Normally if I want to remove it from a machine I just wipe the hard drive or I find myself picking off bits of NAV days and weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

You could try a repair of IE too, though it's most likely not gonna work.

Hmm, have a google for kellys korner, I'm pretty sure there's a command on there that will let you completely re-install IE on your machine (XP).

Advertisement