Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films for Halloween?

Options
  • 22-10-2004 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

Are any of you watching any horror movies on Halloween? If so please tell me which ones as I'm going for a Mega-Horror-Movie-Marathon. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Since I don't get to go to a Halloween fancy dress do (boo! Hisss! etc - am at a friends birthday and it's black tie, of all the stupid things), I'll be watching some horror films over the next week or so to try and ease the pain....Dagon (again) and Faust, as well as maybe the first Friday the 13th. If I owned it, I'd probably watch the original Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Faust? How could you watch that horrible, horrible film!?

I dunno, personally I didn't have any plans, but thinking about it, there's quite a few classics that would be well worth another watch like The Wicker Man and Don't Look Now. Maybe The Thing aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Don't Look Now

Excellent call Mr Hungus. I want to get my hands on the new Hellraiser box set but I'll have to wait til after Halloween. Bugger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Faust? How could you watch that horrible, horrible film!?

Um, cos the whole thing reminds me of the awful and yet somehow entertaining b-movies I watched as a teenager, from the contrived storyline to the soundtrack. I readily accept it's a dire movie; I just enjoy it anyway (of course, this probably destroys my claim that Dagon is actually pretty good).

I do love the old "So bad it's good" film, but Faust was really just taking the piss. Dagon was a masterpeice in comparison. Generally I do quite like the Brian Yuzna films, I've got Return Of The Living Dead 3 on DVD and I'm hoping that From Beyond gets around to being released at some stage. But Faust... even Jeffrey Combs didn't make the film watchable, and that really says a lot.

• Advertisement

I do love the old "So bad it's good" film, but Faust was really just taking the piss. Dagon was a masterpeice in comparison. Generally I do quite like the Brian Yuzna films, I've got Return Of The Living Dead 3 on DVD and I'm hoping that From Beyond gets around to being released at some stage. But Faust... even Jeffrey Combs didn't make the film watchable, and that really says a lot.

Well...bear in mind that faust was the 3rd film in a "3 for some ridiculously cheap price" deal for me, and I bought it only because I saw Brian Yuzna's name on it. Perhaps it was this total lack of expectations that allows me to sit through it without wincing?

Fair enough, you could stomach it, I couldn't. Although if you bought it solely because of Yuzna's name, I'd argue that's an expectation right there.

What were the other 2 in the deal btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The Thing - Scary , Tense and GOREEEEY

Fair enough, you could stomach it, I couldn't. Although if you bought it solely because of Yuzna's name, I'd argue that's an expectation right there.

What were the other 2 in the deal btw?

Can't quite remember, I think they were The Thing (the remake) and the Invasion of The Body Snatchers (also the remake). I'm pretty sure that it was one of those "2 decent films and pick a third dodgy one" deals, basically I didn't mind taking a chance on Faust given that Reanimator was ok - after all, if I'd hated it I'd have an extra coaster and 2 good filmsstill bought for a reasonable price.

Well, there was a couple of remakes of Invasion of the Body Snatchers as far as I remember. I was always partial to the one with Donald Sutherland myself.

• Advertisement

Well, there was a couple of remakes of Invasion of the Body Snatchers as far as I remember. I was always partial to the one with Donald Sutherland myself.

The very same one I got - sheer class, from the simple yet atmospheric effects in the opening sequence through to the storyline and twist ending. Actually, screw it. I should probably watch that instead of Faust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I'm currently in the middle of a fascination with haunted house movies. Or anything with big, terrifying architecture. So I'm slowly working through this list:
    * Bride of Frankenstein
    * Psycho
    * Nightmare Before Christmas
    * The Legend of Hell House
    * Faust
    * The Changeling
    * Shadow of the Vampire
    * The Frighteners
    * Suspiria
    * The Haunting
    * Edward Scissorhands
    * Young Frankenstein
    * The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    * Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein
    * Bram Stoker’s Dracula
    * House on Haunted Hill

I'm having a Halloween party (Heinous Halloween Hellaballoo, to be precise), and for this I'm going to be projecting clips from a few DVDs mashed together. On this list are:
    * Carnival of Souls
    * Tetsuo: the Iron Man
    * Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    * Night of the Living Dead
    * Rosemary's Baby
    * The Brood
    * Demons 1 and 2

But to get myself into the Halloween mood, I've mostly just been watching Exorcist and Re-animator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nice alliteration.

Why not the Amityville Horror? That would be on my list of films containing spooky houses... Actually, that's something I'd love to see again, scared the absolute bejaysis out of me when I was rather young. Pity about all the lame sequels.

And how about The Beyond? Classic Lucio Fulci, and that haunted mansion was certainly a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Why not the Amityville Horror? That would be on my list of films containing spooky houses... .

yes definitely agree with u there, have seen it so many times and still gives me the absolute creeps!! great film.. not one I could ever watch alone!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Tusky wrote:
    The Thing - Scary , Tense and GOREEEEY

I always enjoy "The Thing". Didn't find it scary though. Infact, none of the Halloween horror movies i have ever watched were scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

ObeyGiant wrote:
    * Suspiria

That's one for the Crap-But-Scary File. The barbed wire room kicks ass. :D The fake stabbing hand at the beginning is just funny.

I saw Halloween III: Season Of The Witch last night for the first time. What the HELL was that!!? :mad: It had nothing to do with Michael Myres. And the whole thing about the town of Irish people who wanted Silver Shamrock to kill all the kids.... WTF?! At least in this one someone pronounces Samhain properly. It annoyed the hell out of me when the Michael Myres expert/psychiatrist pronounced it Sam-hane in Halloween II. They obvously had a great research team *sarcasm detector explodes*.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Why not the Amityville Horror? That would be on my list of films containing spooky houses... Actually, that's something I'd love to see again, scared the absolute bejaysis out of me when I was rather young. Pity about all the lame sequels.
    Well, it's definitely got a house in it, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm mostly fascinated with the house's asthetic than the actual goings-on inside it. More along the lines of Disney's The Haunted Mansion (badass looking house, not very scary) than Amityville (scary, not very badass looking house). Actually, Amityville hasn't stood the test of time too well (the bit with the eyes in the window still gets me). The Entity is my new Amityville.

But good call on the Beyond. I've added that to my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I actually really like Return of the Living Dead 3.
    By no means is it a masterpiece, but it's very entertaining. And Melinda Clarke (Julie) is just SUPER (see also CSI Lady Heather's Box, great episode overall, and Firefly Heart Of Gold - she seems to have a thing for playing Madams, oh and The OC).

The Beyond isn't so much a haunted house as a house-and-gates-to-hell-are-open type of thing, but it's got some great tacky scenes. Killer tarantulas, seeing eye dog, and tubs of acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Does any one know what is on the telly for Halloween night.
    They uasually stick on a few OK films!

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    I actually really like Return of the Living Dead 3.
    By no means is it a masterpiece, but it's very entertaining. And Melinda Clarke (Julie) is just SUPER (see also CSI Lady Heather's Box, great episode overall, and Firefly Heart Of Gold - she seems to have a thing for playing Madams, oh and The OC).

That was her in Firefly? Must say it wasn't my favorite episode by a long shot, but I must give it another look so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vamp IRL

Halloween , Amityville Horror and maybe Salem's Lot haven't seen any of them in years anybody know where I can get Amityville on DVD

Anywhere really, Vamp IRL. I've seen it going very cheap in some places. Play.com has it if you're interested in ordering online at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I suppose I'll watch The Lost Boys and From Dusk Til Dawn.
    Watch them most Halloweens.
    If it's raining I'll watch Dark Water, first time I saw it it was pissing rain, and every time a more suspenceful part came the rain intensified, which kind of freaked me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vamp IRL

Thanks Karl Hungus ordered it last nite

Advertisement